Changing Skis

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy He!! SummitX...I think there was a sign to do this sooner :confused:

I have close to 8000 on my 07 600...lots of nasty spring dirt trails...skis are getting beaten up but nothing like that. :eek:

My bushings have been changed each season as they have been wearing. I can tell when my skis get loose and sloppy.

Preventative maintenance! :)

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else had this pleasure???

I've got over 6000km on mine and they've never been removed. So now I'm replacing them as they are long overdue and everything is seized together, and I mean everything. The bushings are seized to the spindles, the spacer is seized to the bushing, and on one side everything is actually seized to the bolt that held them to the ski. Damn....

SmokingDave was kind enough to help for a bit while he was picking up a pledge for the STARS ride on Friday, but that was only with one side. I've still got the bushings stuck in the spindle on that side, as I left it when Dave left, and the other side is worse.

What do you guys do to prevent this?? Dave said he removes his each year and greases them.... anybody else do this?

Anybody else want to light their sled on fire and just start fresh like I do right now??

Use a torchand heat them up. work the bushings out from the inside with a screwdriver and a hammer, start on the inside bushing so ur working from the outside on the frist one. these bushings are really tight and you have to pound in the new ones. I did this a week ago at 1600miles...in my opinion they needed to be done. I also packed the spindles with grease when I was done.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy He!! SummitX...I think there was a sign to do this sooner :confused:

I have close to 8000 on my 07 600...lots of nasty spring dirt trails...skis are getting beaten up but nothing like that. :eek:

My bushings have been changed each season as they have been wearing. I can tell when my skis get loose and sloppy.

Preventative maintenance! :)

it's funny cause my bushings were seized, but the skis themselves were tight. i know what you mean when you say they get loose and sloppy, my old '02 800 skis were like that. i think i got that one stuck more and had to pull on them!! with this sled, i just roll it over and keep going!

for awhile i actually had a piece of steel rivoted onto that one bad ski and it held quite well, but as soon as those rivots broke loose, it just started to peel like a banana! and that carbide that is so mangled, that was from a rock the last day i rode them. those carbides were actually new this season.

i do preform preventative maintenance, but when chit happens... as long as it rides, i keep going :beer: :beer:

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use a torchand heat them up. work the bushings out from the inside with a screwdriver and a hammer, start on the inside bushing so ur working from the outside on the frist one. these bushings are really tight and you have to pound in the new ones. I did this a week ago at 1600miles...in my opinion they needed to be done. I also packed the spindles with grease when I was done.

if i could get to the bushing i would have done that... but that sleeve (or whatever it is called) that goes between the bolt and the bushings, it was broke in two and it is still seized in there. i've sent them off with my good buddy neddassac who is gonna take them to work and use the 50tonne press... i'm sure he'll get them out!:)

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
50tonne press... i'm sure he'll get them out!:)[/QUOTE]

bigger hammer!!!:beer::beer: I would still heat everything up.

Top Bottom