Changing Skis

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else had this pleasure???

I've got over 6000km on mine and they've never been removed. So now I'm replacing them as they are long overdue and everything is seized together, and I mean everything. The bushings are seized to the spindles, the spacer is seized to the bushing, and on one side everything is actually seized to the bolt that held them to the ski. Damn....

SmokingDave was kind enough to help for a bit while he was picking up a pledge for the STARS ride on Friday, but that was only with one side. I've still got the bushings stuck in the spindle on that side, as I left it when Dave left, and the other side is worse.

What do you guys do to prevent this?? Dave said he removes his each year and greases them.... anybody else do this?

Anybody else want to light their sled on fire and just start fresh like I do right now??

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else had this pleasure???

Lots of times.
What do you guys do to prevent this?? Dave said he removes his each year and greases them.... anybody else do this?

Grease yearly like Dave.

To fix: spray oil/lube on bolts and let them sit for a couple days. Put the nut on the end of the bolt, not tight just on a couple threads, then hit the nut with a hammer to get the bolt loose.

DO NOT hit the bolt without putting the nut on the threads, otherwise you will screw up the threads on the bolt.

Try and use a rachet first and twist the bolt out. If you can have someone push on it from the other side when you are working the rachet then its even better. You might get it out this way. Lots of lube.

If you need, come by and I can give you a hand or if you need some tools.

This is a common problem with skis, they are in the snow all the time and are the first things to get hit with road salt and grime on the trailer.

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tap grease nipple into spindle top side,wear ski bolt goes through....be done to new one's last for ever

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Modman, I've already wrecked one of the bolts though... as i was trying to turn it with a rachet the head of the bolt broke right off. The other one is still pretty good, just a little bent from all the rocks I've hit!

I'm too the point where i removed the spindles as i was gonna take them to a buddy and get the bushings pressed out. (Should I have not done that??) The sides of the bushings were already corroded and so it is just the fact they are stuck in the spindle now.

I'll snap a pic when i get home and post it for you too see what i'm taking about it. I'll warn you though, it isn't a pretty situation!!!

And thanks Carbon, that is something i will certainly be thinking about when i get these new skis on, just incase it last's another 6000km and I need to change them again!

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that the spindles are off, heat the bolt with a torch. Grab a wax candle, and stuff it to the bolt while it is still red hot. A couple of pokes with a hammer, and it will pop right out. Sounds stupid, but it works like a charm.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Modman, I've already wrecked one of the bolts though... as i was trying to turn it with a rachet the head of the bolt broke right off. The other one is still pretty good, just a little bent from all the rocks I've hit!

I'm too the point where i removed the spindles as i was gonna take them to a buddy and get the bushings pressed out. (Should I have not done that??) The sides of the bushings were already corroded and so it is just the fact they are stuck in the spindle now.

I'll snap a pic when i get home and post it for you too see what i'm taking about it. I'll warn you though, it isn't a pretty situation!!!

And thanks Carbon, that is something i will certainly be thinking about when i get these new skis on, just incase it last's another 6000km and I need to change them again!

If they are off the sled and its just the skis and spindles attached then I have a 50 ton press at my buddies place that we can use to push the bolts out. If you can turn them on their sides, then I would put some lube down the holes and let them sit. Let me know if you need any help.

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I have stated over and over sledders are the best kind of people.
Cory I would take Modman up on his offer as a fifty ton press will make that job very easy.
Drilling holes after you have them out and adding grease zerks will make the job real easy after your next six thousand km.
And thanks for your support on the STARS ride.

Cheers,
Dave

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
carnage pics attached.

modman - pm sent!

Attachments

• IMG_0956_reduced.JPG
    IMG_0956_reduced.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0957_reduced.jpg
    IMG_0957_reduced.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0958_reduced.JPG
    IMG_0958_reduced.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0959_reduced.jpg
    IMG_0959_reduced.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0960_reduced.jpg
    IMG_0960_reduced.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0961_reduced.jpg
    IMG_0961_reduced.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 22

CaribooSlyder

Reaction score
Now that the spindles are off, heat the bolt with a torch. Grab a wax candle, and stuff it to the bolt while it is still red hot. A couple of pokes with a hammer, and it will pop right out. Sounds stupid, but it works like a charm.
This is one I never have heard of before ,I will keep it in mind,Thanks

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ahhhhhh ummmmmm,,,,

maybe next time change thoose skis at 5000kms bahahahaha,,,,

them things are beat,, skag is funny, I am going to say the rust has moved on to a full corrosion state bahahaha,, that chit is proabaly stronger than a weld,,,,

good luck buddy

p.s. that one ski still has 2 or 3 rides left.....

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL LOL... i was tempted to run it again!!!

yeah, maybe next time i'll swap out a little sooner. that, or i need to stop hitting chit!

cataract is the devil. i've wreck at least 2 carbibes there every year...

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, when I finally line up ski's I know where I'm dropping off my sled.... At least that's what I was thinking about PRIOR to seeing those pictures.

hahaha. Keep up the good work.

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL LOL... i was tempted to run it again!!!

yeah, maybe next time i'll swap out a little sooner. that, or i need to stop hitting chit!

cataract is the devil. i've wreck at least 2 carbibes there every year...
I have a set of Sidehiller 2 skis off an 04 RMK that are for sale at a good price if you are interested.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is one I never have heard of before ,I will keep it in mind,Thanks

We sheared off six 1/2" bolts in a loader frame of a tractor on the farm. I farted around with drills and easy outs for a couple of hours. A mechanic buddy of mine came out, hit em with a precision torch and a candle, and they slid out like nothing happened. Works awesome.

wesley

Reaction score
If the other suggestions don't work I would drill the bushing out till it was very thin. then grind down a hack saw blad and make a slot in it. Then use a punch on one end to peel a bit to the center. Then use a pair of needel nose vice grips to grab it and pull it out while twisting in.

Wes

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Sidehiller 2 skis off an 04 RMK that are for sale at a good price if you are interested.

thanks, but i already got my replacements. but shibby may be interested.... i think he was looking for skis too.

and thanks for all the great suggestions guys! i think i may try that candle trick tonight just to see if i can make anymore head way, otherwise i think i'll be headed over to modmans house tomorrow!!

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe do like I do, buy a new sled, ride it once and trade up. Never have to change ski's or carbides! :nono:

yeah i thought about it, but mine doesn't seem to get stuck as much yours...:)

(however it sure does like the trees and rocks:confused:)

Top Bottom