Changing Pin Weight for low elevation

walleye101

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has added some pin weight to their sleds for low elevation? I have a buddy that had a BRP Low Elevation kit in his 2013 Summit 146 and took it out and put a DJ kit in. I picked it up from him for super cheap and hear how the BRP kit is not the greatest. I have a 2014 Summit 800 146 and wondering if i could just add that pinweight of around 19 grams and run the 441 ramps and original primary spring? I heard the 413 ramps don't work as well as 441s?? I also noticed the forces are quite low on the yellow/green low elevation primary spring. Just wondering if anyone has tried this set up and how it's worked? I live around 1600-2200 elevation and need something better for here then the sock clutching so i don't have to run clicker 1 and still come close to rev limiter. I plan on purchasing a DJ or Rooster built kit but probably not this season as we haven't ridden much and no good snow conditions here. Thanks for anyones input and hope someone has tried a setup like this. :beer:

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just use the BRP kit you got from your buddy. Itll be ok. Just watch the long smooth lake runs at full throttle with the 413s. You can overrev still.

Using the brp kit is better than just adding weight imo.

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive run the brp kit and it still ripped good, just poor backshift and ovverev when theres no traction.

walleye101

Reaction score
Ive run the brp kit and it still ripped good, just poor backshift and ovverev when theres no traction.
I talked to a few guys that just went with the pins and left the 441 ramps and original primary and said it pulled better then the 413 Ramp. I'll give it a try on the weekend once it supposedly warms up... :d . Thanks for your reply and info.

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah it will pull better. 441s pull hard. But with all that weight and a light initial force on the stock secondary spring, backshift suffers. If i have my clutching theory right, thats part of why brp uses the steep 413 ramp, so you can add weight and still get a zippy throttle without cracking open the secondary, which is more work and beyond many guy's tool sets.

There's many ways to skin a cat. And backshift isnt that important for some riding styles.

Last edited:

walleye101

Reaction score
Yeah it will pull better. 441s pull hard. But with all that weight and a light initial force on the stock secondary spring, backshift suffers. If i have my clutching theory right, thats part of why brp uses the steep 413 ramp, so you can add weight and still get a zippy throttle without cracking open the secondary, which is more work and beyond many guy's tool sets.

There's many ways to skin a cat. And backshift isnt that important for some riding styles.

Thanks for the reply, i hear you, i will try it out and see what i think of the backshift. We don't have really no snow here to test either. If i don't like it it isn't hard to change the ramps and primary spring. I plan on doing a DJ kit anyways but was going to wait till next season since i's been a crappy season here.

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My gut tells me itll be at the low and mid range that backshift will suffer. I could be wrong.

Top Bottom