Changing Oil (5.0 mercruiser)

saqqara

Reaction score
So first off - I'm not a guy - so take it easy on me, I'm not a complete idiot and I do okay on my own but I'm not as mechanically inclined as those of you with higher levels of testosterone.

If you think the answer is obvious - it might not be to me - so spell it out.

I have a 19 foot Bayliner (5.0 Mercruiser, Sterndrive). The first time I changed my oil - I had a clear hand pump and hose and it sucked (all puns intended) but I got it done.

I've lost that hose somewhere alone the line and I picked up a red contraption at Canadian Tire with a pump and hose - but there just no way - the thing sucks air from somewhere. I got another length of clear house and the ball type to squeeze, better but still not enough suction to start to drain the oil.

There's gotta be a better way. And I got everything else ready this year even changed my gear oil on my own - first time - so I seriously do not want to haul it in just to have someone change the damn oil.

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does yours pull the oil through the dipstick. If so i got electric pump from princess auto that does mine and built hoses. Think it was about $20.00. If you need any help let me know.

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2009 5.0L merc . You should have a hose with a pipe plug attached that you would remove to drain the engine oil. The hose should pull out from your hull drain at the back of the boat under your leg.

Run the boat up to operating temp. Remove the plug and take off the oil cap for air movement, grab a beer or two and in about 15 mins. your oil should be drained. At least that is how mine is set up. I have tried the hose down the dipstick route and bought the pump and found that it does not work so good and took for ever and was messy.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2009 5.0L merc . You should have a hose with a pipe plug attached that you would remove to drain the engine oil. The hose should pull out from your hull drain at the back of the boat under your leg.

Run the boat up to operating temp. Remove the plug and take off the oil cap for air movement, grab a beer or two and in about 15 mins. your oil should be drained. At least that is how mine is set up. I have tried the hose down the dipstick route and bought the pump and found that it does not work so good and took for ever and was messy.

Same as on my Maxum 5.0, thought all the Merc's were the same. No mess.
Pulling the frost plugs from the block every fall is a different story that always costs me some skin.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 4.3 in my 92 Invader and what I do is I made up a drain pan out of a household cake baking pan with a length of hose that I exit out the hull drain. And like funtimes says. warm up engine then drain, couple of beer and your ready to put the plug back in and add fresh oil. This pan works well to catch the oil from the filter too.

Top Bottom