Chainsaw trouble

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 311 saw and had to take it in last fall. Turned out clutch side bearing broke in half. Dealer rebuilt it and now it doesnt seem to be oiling the bar.

I took bar off and cleaned everything . I run it without bar and no oil seeps out oil hole. Leave it on bench for 10 minutes not running and there is some oil seeping out then. Checked oil tank and filter.

I have found some videos on other models but they are different than this one. Guess that's why they dont make it anymore.

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this problem on this model and how to take it apart if it's the oil pump.

Thanks

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no direst experience with that model but you could try Steve’s small engine saloon on U tube he has lots of good ones

I have a Stihl 311 saw and had to take it in last fall. Turned out clutch side bearing broke in half. Dealer rebuilt it and now it doesnt seem to be oiling the bar.

I took bar off and cleaned everything . I run it without bar and no oil seeps out oil hole. Leave it on bench for 10 minutes not running and there is some oil seeping out then. Checked oil tank and filter.

I have found some videos on other models but they are different than this one. Guess that's why they dont make it anymore.

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this problem on this model and how to take it apart if it's the oil pump.

Thanks

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the factory service manual and factory parts lists if you want them.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The parts should be behind the clutch pull the clutch cover off then unscrew the spring weighs remember it is right threads hold the flywheel from the other side there should be a nut to put a socket on behind the spring there will be a small plastic cover the gear and pump should be there go to a dealer they can get the parts for you good luck it’s not that hard to do it might be just a blocked or broken hose

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
58458af7ea57feb984d36d2a74c3a163.png

36eb99162c0002024197d3d4bd2e56fd.png

a4b5025740837816af9b4082db56580e.png

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks a ton Mr. Fx. I will print these off tmrw and see what I can do. This helps a bunch. I will keep you posted.

I pulled the snap ring and spring cover earlier but wasnt sure from there.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone. I am going to tear it apart this week. That’s the easy part. Lol. We will see how it goes back together.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the oil pump out. Nylon worm gear is somewhat stripped and little bits of nylon in oil pump gear.. oil pump appears to be seized so I have new parts on order.

Thanks for the help

Top Bottom