Chainsaw sharpening

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert, there are some good points above. I like using a vise when at home, but can do just as good a job in the field. My uncle showed me how to file a chain when I was a young teenager. Big thing is to keep it out of the dirt.

tripster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't priced yet since it's only avail in 3/8 and they are still working on a .325 which my small saw is.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had two of those for my shindaiwa chainsaw and wouldn't recommend it. The chain is weak and if you hit anything at all like a nail or rock the chain is toast. With a standard chain it doesn't get destroyed.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always hand filed in the vice if I'm home but it gets done more on the tailgate than anywhere else as I sharpen it after every tank.
I should do the rakers more often though. Need to buy a new file for them. What do you guys usually use for a raker file?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the round and flat file plus the gauge in a kit but any small flat file with fine teeth will work.
StihlFillingKit-medium.jpg

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no problem, i always assumed the way you tossed the mini- me around you new how to field sharpen. i would also recommend some chain saw chaps. or a beaver tied to tree. lol.

sorry off track.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Used to always sharpen mine on the tailgate and I'm bad at it. I'd always carry a spare chain and swap them if they got too bad. Would get both sharpened at the saw shop once a year. Between starting with two good chains and doing my best to keep them up I could get through a season of firewood.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After learning the proper sharpening techniques in forestry camp, I now prefer the stihl powered sharpener for quick work of a chain. If you have DC power avail great little tool. Between that and grinding the rakes makes for quick cutting.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tree stump sharpen with the cheap angle finder since I'm not a logger who needs tech.

A couple of passes on the cutting edge, then a light scuff on the depth bumpers to give the teeth a better chance of biting into the wood. My frugal guide gives me both readings of cut-angle & bumper depth. It normally works out to 3 sharping's too 1 bump filing.

I wrecked a chain by over doing it on the bumper stops, so old logging dude showed me where how to measure.

Last edited:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have no problems tailgate sharpening, to get me through for the day if needed..... But in all honesty, I get my chains sharpened for about 12 bucks a chain and I could never do that good of a job. I also have 6 chains which having 3 or so ready always isn't an issue. I personally find it faster to replace the chain, than to clean it up for the rest of the day. A pro sharpened chain lasts me about 2 Saturdays of none stop running.
But there are some extremely good points here, on how to sharpen chains.

Top Bottom