Chain case oil change intervals

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I think the first one is the most important. As the chain seats into the gears that's when most of the black stuff is made. I would always do a change after the first five rides or so.

The most important thing is to stay on top of the chain adjustment. It really loosens up those first few rides. Loose chains break. It's much easier to tension properly with the cover off.

From what I can tell, my ProClimb has an automatic chain tensioner, and you have to pull the entire engine oil tank off to change the oil in the chaincase.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I can tell, my ProClimb has an automatic chain tensioner, and you have to pull the entire engine oil tank off to change the oil in the chaincase.

That is correct. No drain plug and if you have the suitcase still it has to come out to get at the screws for the cover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What in the PHUCK was Arctic Cat thinking? Luckily, I have an HPS, but doesn't make it much better.

No kidding. I spent 15 minutes trying to find a plug before I went a found my manual and looked up the procedure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

24V E30

Reaction score
What's everyone's take on chain adjustment? From what I found online hand tight on the tensioner and then back off 1/4 - 1/2 turn.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's take on chain adjustment? From what I found online hand tight on the tensioner and then back off 1/4 - 1/2 turn.

I have never backed them off any. Just finger tight then tighten the jam nut.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Viper is the same way as the cat no drain plug. Have to disassemble to change the chain case oil. I change oil in the chain case on my sleds prior to every riding season.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back when I used to run a chaincase, I changed oil (removed the cover to inspect as well) every 500 miles. Same deal with the Diamond Drives. Oil is cheap, it doesn't take long, and can save you a walk out of the backcountry. Although MOST of the time things looked ok, there were at least 3 chains with partially broken links I've caught by using this method - 2 doos and one cat.

Top Bottom