Chain case oil change intervals

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never did change the chain case oil on my 14. Put 8000kms on that sled before I sold it.

Told the guy he should probably change it...lol

Pretty much Ill change if I have the cover off for some reason, or once a season.

Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Never did change the chain case oil on my 14. Put 8000kms on that sled before I sold it.

Told the guy he should probably change it...lol

Pretty much Ill change I if I have the cover off for some reason, or once a season.

Ok.... But your season, and my season are a wee bit different Dan. Lol

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok.... But your season, and my season are a wee bit different Dan. Lol

Haha probably. Id say once a season and your good:beer:

I know people that don't ride as much that change it every 5 years or just plain never.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its just like Diff oil on your truck, last's a long time. Just make sure there is some in there. Motor tech in Golden did a rush job on a chain case for me years ago. They took it apart and I had 0 oil in the chain case, just water and pieces of ice..lol With lil African engineering that involved wood screws, they had me on the hill by 11am!

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah. Once a year at most. My biggest concern would be loss of oil if you had a major leak, but you should see it. I change mine way more than that but it's because of gearing changes ..... Definitely not required. The chaincases are very forgiving. Chain tension way more important than oil changes.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3000k first change then once a season. Season is usually 10,000K

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I change yearly on all of our machines. Gives me a chance to make sure there isn't any moisture in there and the drive bearings and jackshaft bearings are still smooth.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the end of a season that way no moisture is sitting all summer. As for oil guys say ATF but I still like the thicker synthetic gear oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once a year. Usually every 1500-2000km and more just to pull the cover off and inspect everything then fresh oil.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Typically I will drain it at the end of season and fill back up right then as well, I only ride about 1000km a season though and probably don't need to so often. As someone mentioned above I re-tension my chain after every trip or every second trip. I also grease the suspension and drive shaft ect. so no water sits for the summer.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulling the plug, checking the level and cleaning the filings off the magnet should be sufficient, when I had a chain drive I changed gearing lots and reused the oil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a hot summer day a princessauto sucker hose... one pull and it is all out. Takes longer to fill than to remove. I like to make all the adjustments in the nice weather.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the first one is the most important. As the chain seats into the gears that's when most of the black stuff is made. I would always do a change after the first five rides or so.

The most important thing is to stay on top of the chain adjustment. It really loosens up those first few rides. Loose chains break. It's much easier to tension properly with the cover off.

Top Bottom