CBC Radio reports of skier avalanche

Rescue Pilot

Reaction score
CBC is saying Possibly up to 4 involved, south of Smithers, possibly at Burnie Glacier Hut, 2 still missing? Not good.

helgy

Reaction score
Website
www.bordertownsnowbombers.com
We sledders have been trying hard to make changes in the way we ride, to only expose 1 person on a slope at a time to avalanche hazard, it looks like skiiers should be following our lead.

Bernie Hut area is a controlled recreation area (CRA), no sleds allowed (anymore), and has been a hotbed of controversy in the recent past.

I am very sorry to hear about the deaths.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off let me offer my sympathy to the family and friends of the victims.

Secondly, They died doing what they loved doing, minus the sled they are not any different than us.

We all need to learn from our mistakes and pay attention to mother nature and be safe in the backcountry..

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off let me offer my sympathy to the family and friends of the victims.

Secondly, They died doing what they loved doing, minus the sled they are not any different than us.

We all need to learn from our mistakes and pay attention to mother nature and be safe in the backcountry..

Totally agree that sympathies need to be extended to the families for their loss, but the issue is more in the disrespect that is paid to the sledders when accidents like this are reported in the media.

In this case we have "Four highly experienced skiers" that were involved,
who incidentaly were heli-skiing when the accident took place.
Very interesting that it only comes out after an accident with a sledder, and the family has to defend or comment on their departed family member by pointing out that they were experienced outdoorsman who had been to the hills numerous times.

Top Bottom