Caw Ridge

I'vegotthenutz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of shots of matt and I on sunday up the caw ridge trail.

Attachments

• cawrdg1.jpg
    cawrdg1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 332
  • cawrdg2.jpg
    cawrdg2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 324

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks good may have to head that way for some holidays. There are other areas also around Grande Cache im sure. Any recomendations.

I'vegotthenutz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a staging area just north of town called gustav flats where you can park and camp. The turn off up to the caw ridge trail is about 30km up the beaverdam road. It was ruff with all the spring runoff :bullrider:then about 8km up to the top. When you reach the top trails head off in every direction.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mr. Nutman how close are you to Willmore Park in this area? Don`t want to wander to close to the park and lose my stuff to the park police:nono:

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
Wilmore is SW of there, with no trails. I know the felloe who has the cabins in the area and the trapline. He has trouble due to the lack of cutlines and trails in the area. Was there any university people up there when you where there? they get ticked when quading around the sheep and goats. Can you go in on the logging road across from the mine? is better condition and 1/3 the distance.

I'vegotthenutz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah there was some university students from qubec up there. No goats or sheep in the area. I havn't tried the logging road, I've only followed the snowmobile trail. The willmore is still a ways away. Great views on a nice day, you can see the backside of mt. robson

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
Not sure if one can still go here, but at the junction of the Logging road and the Beaverdam road,,,,,,, go east to just before the bridge, head left and up the mnt too a couple switch backs,,,,,, keep an eye open for a slate rock cliff,,,,,, there are several dinosaur tracks embedded in the rock, the one on the bottom is at Tyrell. Keep going up the road to the #9 mine and there is always sheep there.

Sledgirl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is another enormous rock face with literally thousands of dinosaur tracks on it. In the right light it is dead obvious what you are looking at. It is on the mine site. I saw it while the mine was closed.

I'vegotthenutz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still too much snow to make it to the top, but still had a blast none the less :D
There was another group of around 10 that kindly left there beer cans in the still smoldering fire when we arrived for a lunch break :mad:

Attachments

• mattrail.jpg
    mattrail.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 118
  • kenscrossing.jpg
    kenscrossing.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 110
  • robcrossing.jpg
    robcrossing.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 116
  • kenhill.jpg
    kenhill.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 111

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sweet pics Nutz! can a guy make it to Caw on 2 wheeled machines? was thinking of a bike trip with the dual sport. looks like I'll have to wait a month or so until the snow melts and the water crossings are somewhat shallower....lol.

I'vegotthenutz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For sure you can, the trail up is easy and usually in pretty decent shape. Another week or two and a guy should be able to reach the top :wtg:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For sure you can, the trail up is easy and usually in pretty decent shape. Another week or two and a guy should be able to reach the top :wtg:
was thinking of heading down there on friday night, weather forecast looks pretty dismal though. hoping it changes for the better

I'vegotthenutz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah the weather forecast is kind of bummin me out to, it's rained alot here in the last couple of weeks.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well, it has changed to partly cloudy for sat and sun. still kinda cool tho, a high of 10 on sun according to the weather network, 14 from environment Canada and 0 for a low. looks like a crap shoot. which forecast do you usually find more accurate Nutz? tough to predict weather close to the mountains in my experience, is the ride up to Caw mostly rock or is there a lot of mud a guy will have to traverse if it's wet?

I'vegotthenutz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think environment canada is fairly accurate most of the time. It has been cool the last couple of mornings...:(
Gonna head out tomorrow morning to the cutbank river and party with the boss (b-day,46)...:D::shots:

Top Bottom