Caught on Video - Buried in avalanche - Valemount 2016

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thank your friends for their prompt reactions. Happy that you made it out okay.

Hind sight is 20-20 vision. I wasn't there to fully know the circumstances but in the video there appeared to be a some things not kosher with proper avalanche training. There are clips in the video that may be used as teaching tools in next years avi classes, IMHO.

northernturbo

Reaction score
I have had avy bags for appox 8 years now all types abs, bca, and snowpulse currently.
This is making me wonder if these are very effective in my own personal tab keeping the majority of people
still get buried.
Very happy you survived to tell the story.

l
y

ccvriders

Reaction score
Very glad your ok, This is why it's so important to always have a visual on our riding buddy's !!! Where did this append?

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very glad your ok, This is why it's so important to always have a visual on our riding buddy's !!! Where did this append?

Started using radios every ride this season. It would of only taking one call from the guy that saw you to get the attention of your other buddies.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the most important things if wearing a bag is to deploy it right away. Bags will not deploy when surround by snow. Not sure if this was the case but the side that did not deploy was facing down. Another good reason to have twin airbags.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
One of the most important things if wearing a bag is to deploy it right away. Bags will not deploy when surround by snow. Not sure if this was the case but the side that did not deploy was facing down. Another good reason to have twin airbags.

Yes I would also love to know when you pulled the abs pack, it is very important to ass on the info that it is important to pull the bag first then out ride. You were in mid side hill so understand this could be tough, but turning out sooner, pulling and then riding it out. I know hindsight is 20/20 and I am not critiquing you but I would love to know, one bag is enough to float you, which is why I wear the twin air bag as well. The important thing is you survived and big credit to your riding buddies!

Thunder101

Reaction score
Watching your vid makes me think of just how long two minutes + being buried would be two minutes to long !
glad you are ok . The fact you your riding buddy seen you go down and was right there is huge, as You know.

unclet18

Reaction score
bag was deployed 1.5-2.0 seconds before being tossed off the sled so plenty of time, i've had this happen to me before on a test deployment with the same type of bag this was actually that bags brand new replacement.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whew! Great video, glad you are with us to tell the story. You got some great riding buddies there and they delivered to save your life.
I do a mock deploy of my ABS a couple times a year while riding, just for that piece of mind.

unclet18

Reaction score
Whew! Great video, glad you are with us to tell the story. You got some great riding buddies there and they delivered to save your life.
I do a mock deploy of my ABS a couple times a year while riding, just for that piece of mind.

same here

Top Bottom