Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area Thread for 2014/15

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lost creek weather station says that there has been 63mm of precipitation in the last week. Not sure how much of that amounted to snow. What a sh1tty winter it has been

Current Alberta Weather Conditions Summary
image.jpg

Reaction score
My group of 5 riders went over the pass into fording on Sunday. As you can see in the pictures, the trail from etherington is completely gone. We were not going to unload and just head home but thought to give it a try. To say the trail to the pass was poor would be a understatement. We ride the area often and I have never seen the trail that bad. Against our better judgment we carried on mostly on gravel and mud for the first 5 or so KM, then started getting to spotty snow or ice covered trails eventually leading to pretty good trail once up at about 6500'. All creeks are open, but didn't have too much trouble with them. Once over the pass into fording, conditions were very good. Averaged about 20- 30 cm of heavy fresh snow, and in some places much more. Down about 50cm was a hard breakable crust and windslab from before the storm. Not much for pictures as the phone died soon after we got in there.

Ride out was something I hope to never put a sled through again. Only reason we stayed cool was the puddles of water on the trail flying into the tunnels. Was 8 Deg. in the parking lot loading up at 4:00. In my opinion, the area is done for the season unless significant winter conditions return. Think of it in near early October conditions below 6500' at the moment.

IMG_5071.jpg IMG_5076.jpg IMG_5081.jpg

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what etherington looked like two weeks ago. I guess the precipitation was all rain

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My group of 5 riders went over the pass into fording on Sunday. As you can see in the pictures, the trail from etherington is completely gone. We were not going to unload and just head home but thought to give it a try. To say the trail to the pass was poor would be a understatement. We ride the area often and I have never seen the trail that bad. Against our better judgment we carried on mostly on gravel and mud for the first 5 or so KM, then started getting to spotty snow or ice covered trails eventually leading to pretty good trail once up at about 6500'. All creeks are open, but didn't have too much trouble with them. Once over the pass into fording, conditions were very good. Averaged about 20- 30 cm of heavy fresh snow, and in some places much more. Down about 50cm was a hard breakable crust and windslab from before the storm. Not much for pictures as the phone died soon after we got in there.

Ride out was something I hope to never put a sled through again. Only reason we stayed cool was the puddles of water on the trail flying into the tunnels. Was 8 Deg. in the parking lot loading up at 4:00. In my opinion, the area is done for the season unless significant winter conditions return. Think of it in near early October conditions below 6500' at the moment.

View attachment 183878View attachment 183879View attachment 183880

Thanks for the good report Tyler. Those are worse conditions from the weekend before. Scott and me were out looking at a place for a bridge to get up into Fording Pass area easier for you guys.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Suppose to get a decent amount of snow for the next few days. Anyone think it will be rideable or is the season lost out there?

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Suppose to get a decent amount of snow for the next few days. Anyone think it will be rideable or is the season lost out there?

I don't think the season is done yet, but I also think it will take quite a bit of snow to be really enjoyable again. I am looking forward to riding more in March and April now, with the snows to come, I hope!

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lst creek weather station says that a decent amount of precipitation has fallen but I'm sure with the warm weather it fell in the form of rain.

Not sure ure how accurate the lost creek station is but there is currently a snowfall warning, fingers crossed.

also I have not forgot about the toboggan, we will hook up before the season the over

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like Crowsnest Pass is the place to go this weekend, Sunday better than Saturday for sunlight, but perhaps more fresh snow on Saturday......just saying. I hope the weather drifts north to the Cataract Creek area....

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where in the pass is a good place to ride? The wife loves the trails at CC so something like that would be great

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where in the pass is a good place to ride? The wife loves the trails at CC so something like that would be great

I would suggest the Atlas Road to the north cabin for easy, but they may have a thread on Snow and Mud with more info on conditions.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Last pics of the trail up were not very good. Look back a bit Tyler posted some pics. The area received some snow but no reports back yet. Lets hope

RoughNecksRam403

Reaction score
I would suggest the Atlas Road to the north cabin for easy, but they may have a thread on Snow and Mud with more info on conditions.
Not many people post in the crowsnest threads.
My first ride this year was about a month ago and it was at atlas with a friend. Conditions were pretty good but the warm days after would have made for sure unrideable.
I'm really hoping to get out there on Friday on Saturday if anyone is up for it. I'd rather not go alone.

Top Bottom