Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area Thread for 2014/15

KRSmith

Reaction score
Is there any snow at CC to make the trip? I was thinking of going to do trail riding Saturday. If CC has no snow where the next closes place with snow?

Last edited:

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually yes he was... We all are if we venture down to the southern tip.

I inquired about this zone. Looked to me by the small map in the upper right that we were aloud over the mountain range to the east of Cataract. I was corrected and told this was a "proposed" area and that we were NOT allowed over there. A friend of mine who works for ESRD was going to put in a request to get the map changed as it is very misleading. We are technically aloud to be south out of the zone but not aloud East inside the zone LOL.

so the out of bounds area is the don Getty park?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. The wildland parks in AB do not allow snowmobile use. At least none that I know of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so the out of bounds area is the don Getty park?

Correct. FYI The trail over to the BC side form Etherington actually goes through Don Getty park land. That is why it is imperative to stay on the trail on the way over and back.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Actually yes he was... We all are if we venture down to the southern tip.

I inquired about this zone. Looked to me by the small map in the upper right that we were aloud over the mountain range to the east of Cataract. I was corrected and told this was a "proposed" area and that we were NOT allowed over there. A friend of mine who works for ESRD was going to put in a request to get the map changed as it is very misleading. We are technically aloud to be south out of the zone but not aloud East inside the zone LOL.

Why don't they include the area now? Proposed can now be implemented. That would add to the riding area and keep us out of the park area. I was wondering this also. PLUZ zone goes east so we should be able to ride there according to map.
Highfly don't worry to much about your spelling. This is a motorized forum not a spelling forum. As long as you don't swear we are good to go. I correct a lot of spelling mistakes but don't rub it in. Sometimes my spelling is off as well.

Thanks for the input. See what your buddy can do about expanding the ridiing area

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why don't they include the area now? Proposed can now be implemented. That would add to the riding area and keep us out of the park area. I was wondering this also. PLUZ zone goes east so we should be able to ride there according to map.
Highfly don't worry to much about your spelling. This is a motorized forum not a spelling forum. As long as you don't swear we are good to go. I correct a lot of spelling mistakes but don't rub it in. Sometimes my spelling is off as well.

Thanks for the input. See what your buddy can do about expanding the ridiing area

Thx for that Glen.

I'll attach his reply. It answers your questions.

There's winter wildlife concerns and a protective notation on both those Mountain tops to the east (In the PLUZ Zone). But from that map it's deceiving. The PNT is provincial/ municipal park potential. So this means this area will turn to don Getty park land. The deceiving map should be changed. I'll bring it up to the guy that administers that area. So here's the kicker. It's the small print on the map. That brown line is the area for cataract. But on the east side there's no designated trails. Look at the map. So if the Calgary snowmobile club wants to put trails up there they have to propose it to the government.
Just another note. The area south of cataract can be ridden other than in the don Getty park

So it is possible to "request" the are to be expanded in. As he says its deceiving, to me (and everyone else) looks to be already land set aside and is usable. But this is not the case.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thx for that Glen.

I'll attach his reply. It answers your questions.

There's winter wildlife concerns and a protective notation on both those Mountain tops to the east (In the PLUZ Zone). But from that map it's deceiving. The PNT is provincial/ municipal park potential. So this means this area will turn to don Getty park land. The deceiving map should be changed. I'll bring it up to the guy that administers that area. So here's the kicker. It's the small print on the map. That brown line is the area for cataract. But on the east side there's no designated trails. Look at the map. So if the Calgary snowmobile club wants to put trails up there they have to propose it to the government.
Just another note. The area south of cataract can be ridden other than in the don Getty park

So it is possible to "request" the are to be expanded in. As he says its deceiving, to me (and everyone else) looks to be already land set aside and is usable. But this is not the case.

Thanks for the reply. Anyone ever ride East. Any possible trails to add ?

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading out with the wife tomorrow, anyone make it out today? I was there last weekend and it was good riding, I'm sure there is still enough for tomorrow.

looking like this may be the last ride of the season, double digit temps for the next 10 days

Reaction score
Heading out with the wife tomorrow, anyone make it out today? I was there last weekend and it was good riding, I'm sure there is still enough for tomorrow.

looking like this may be the last ride of the season, double digit temps for the next 10 days

How was it? Any chance it will be decent this upcoming weekend, if you had to guess?

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How was it? Any chance it will be decent this upcoming weekend, if you had to guess?

Gonna be muddy down low. All the lower trails were smow covered in the morning, when I came back down at 5:30/6:00 it was getting pretty muddy in a lot of spots. Very little snow down low. Suppose to be +10 all week, I would guess all the lower trails will be crap

Reaction score
Gonna be muddy down low. All the lower trails were smow covered in the morning, when I came back down at 5:30/6:00 it was getting pretty muddy in a lot of spots. Very little snow down low. Suppose to be +10 all week, I would guess all the lower trails will be crap

Thanks..... that sucks. lol. I guess that's a wrap for my season. :(

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks..... that sucks. lol. I guess that's a wrap for my season. :(

I won't be putting the machines away until the end of April. This is alberta afterall and I'm sure we will get more snow.

Everyone will be out planting their gardens and doing yard work and next thing you know there will a foot of snow on the ground. Winter isn't over imo until we get past May long weekend

Reaction score
I won't be putting the machines away until the end of April. This is alberta afterall and I'm sure we will get more snow.

Everyone will be out planting their gardens and doing yard work and next thing you know there will a foot of snow on the ground. Winter isn't over imo until we get past May long weekend

How's the snow out in the Drumheller valley and out that way? There must be some interesting areas out your way, to sled? All I have to do is back the truck up to the garage and I'm ready, if it does snow. I just have a feeling it won't be enough, with this warm weather.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How's the snow out in the Drumheller valley and out that way? There must be some interesting areas out your way, to sled? All I have to do is back the truck up to the garage and I'm ready, if it does snow. I just have a feeling it won't be enough, with this warm weather.

There hasn't been rideable snow up top of the valley since Xmas roughly. Usually the river and creeks are fun just to get out and go for a ride and have a few rums but that has been crap this year as well. We would get a good dump of snow then a Chinook would blow in and half ass melt, two days later it's minus 20 and the snow is hard as a rock. When the chinooks blow through it melts all the snow on the hillsides, then it runs onto the creeks and makes it way to the river.

There may be enough snow in my back yard to go around in small circles, you are more than welcome to try

Reaction score
There hasn't been rideable snow up top of the valley since Xmas roughly. Usually the river and creeks are fun just to get out and go for a ride and have a few rums but that has been crap this year as well. We would get a good dump of snow then a Chinook would blow in and half ass melt, two days later it's minus 20 and the snow is hard as a rock. When the chinooks blow through it melts all the snow on the hillsides, then it runs onto the creeks and makes it way to the river.

There may be enough snow in my back yard to go around in small circles, you are more than welcome to try

I've considered trying the same in my back yard whenever I get the itch....... save for one giant tree that takes up 90% of the yard..... /grumble grumble

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the season is over I'm good with that, I have zero mountain experience and had fun this year. Made it out to CC probably a dozen times and a friend took the wife and I over fording pass with a bunch of his friends once this year. The trip over to fording made this ah1tty winter worth it for me

Reaction score
Is that pass at CC? I've never been over it ...... I had a bad season. Bought a new sled at the end of Nov and took it out to CC with my wife's old sled near the beginning of Dec. It was great. Then the snow vanished and we had our trailer and two sleds stolen on Jan. 3. After fighting with insurance, we managed to finance two new(er) sleds and make it to our snowmobile trip near Sundre for Feb 20. Those are the only two trips I've managed this year, mostly because of being robbed..... bastard crackheads!

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking of taking trailer and camping at etherington parking lot, am I going to get in trouble? Is there free fire would or do you have to bring own?

Top Bottom