Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area Thread for 2014/15

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took the family out today and the snow is decent.Lots of people out there today.Worth the trip out.

Reactions: JZ1

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took the family out today and the snow is decent.Lots of people out there today.Worth the trip out.

Good to hear, thx for the update.

Im thinking of taking my daughter out. I've only been twice to CC and have only been to skyline trail area, I think hills may be a bit much for her. Is the etherington area more flat? The only riding she has done is on the flat river.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good to hear, thx for the update.

Im thinking of taking my daughter out. I've only been twice to CC and have only been to skyline trail area, I think hills may be a bit much for her. Is the etherington area more flat? The only riding she has done is on the flat river.

I would go to Etherington. Flatter and I tried to groom some today up there. Lots of riders way better there than Cat.

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was there today and pleasantly surprised.....decent snow coverage and plenty of riders out today...some whoops starting to develop on some trails.....

when I got to Upper Raspberry I couldn't believe my eyes.......it was glass smooth because someone pulled a drag over it(wink wink) awesome job !

Flyer

Reaction score
We were out there with a couple machines today too. Noted a couple people stopping to pick rocks off the trail. Big green Arctic Cat was one. Good on you. It was our first time out. For us, there was barely enough snow, and we cringed when we heard skis punching through the snow to the rocks and gravel beneath. I think our keels are deeper than most, and most won't have this trouble.

It was smooth though. A few whoops, but there isn't enough snow for them to really develop. Poker run next weekend should be a good time.

Thanks to Derrick for taking time to familiarize us with the area.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was there today and pleasantly surprised.....decent snow coverage and plenty of riders out today...some whoops starting to develop on some trails.....

when I got to Upper Raspberry I couldn't believe my eyes.......it was glass smooth because someone pulled a drag over it(wink wink) awesome job !

More to come as long as it stays cold.

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were out there with a couple machines today too. Noted a couple people stopping to pick rocks off the trail. Big green Arctic Cat was one. Good on you. It was our first time out. For us, there was barely enough snow, and we cringed when we heard skis punching through the snow to the rocks and gravel beneath. I think our keels are deeper than most, and most won't have this trouble.

It was smooth though. A few whoops, but there isn't enough snow for them to really develop. Poker run next weekend should be a good time.

Thanks to Derrick for taking time to familiarize us with the area.
I think that was me. It was a huge rock

Flyer

Reaction score
I was 99% sure it was. Credit is yours. Nice to see. There was at least one more. Figured you were out getting ready for your poker run.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A BIG THANK YOU TO Sledderglen!!!

On Saturday, he was able to groom from the Etherington parking lot: Etherington Trail to the westerly point of Baril Loop Trail, around Baril Loop Trail back to the intersection with Etherington/Raspberry Trails, south on Raspberry Trail - including the "upper/west" leg, and half of Cataract Creek Trail to the wooden ramp iced into the creek.

Then yesterday, Monday, he groomed from Cataract Creek parking lot: leaving the parking lot, heavy grooming on the south side of the valley where it "was" so bad/whoopee-doo'ed, following the signs to where the Lost Creek Road is in the middle of the valley (where most snowmobilers are traveling, not over to the north side of the valley and Cataract Creek Trail). Onward west on the Lost Creek Road, across Cataract Creek, and down Lost Creek Road a fair distance.

Again, THANK YOU GLEN, on behalf of the club and general public, for your efforts over the two days. I know this will help with our enjoyment on the POKER RUN!

PS - I was on all trails south of Cataract Creek this past Sunday. They may not be groomed, but there is lots of snow on the trails!

Last edited:

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A BIG THANK YOU TO Sledderglen!!!

On Saturday, he was able to groom from the Etherington parking lot: Etherington Trail to the westerly point of Baril Loop Trail, around Baril Loop Trail back to the intersection with Etherington/Raspberry Trails, south on Raspberry Trail - including the "upper/west" leg, and half of Cataract Creek Trail to the wooden ramp iced into the creek.

Then yesterday, Monday, he groomed from Cataract Creek parking lot: leaving the parking lot, heavy grooming on the south side of the valley where it "was" so bad/whoopee-doo'ed, following the signs to where the Lost Creek Road is in the middle of the valley (where most snowmobilers are traveling, not over to the north side of the valley and Cataract Creek Trail). Onward west on the Lost Creek Road, across Cataract Creek, and down Lost Creek Road a fair distance.

Again, THANK YOU GLEN, on behalf of the club and general public, for your efforts over the two days. I know this will help with our enjoyment on the POKER RUN!

PS - I was on all trails south of Cataract Creek this past Sunday. They may not be groomed, but there is lots of snow on the trails!

Thx for all the effort you guys put in. If we ever meet out at CC beers are on me

polarischik

Reaction score
2 newbies heading out tomorrow. Anyone going to be around? Would love to know where to go and maybe meet up with some people.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
2 newbies heading out tomorrow. Anyone going to be around? Would love to know where to go and maybe meet up with some people.

Etherigton would be the best drop off and head South from there. Lots to see nice place for a nice easy ride.

To me this area would of been excellent back in the day with the older sleds. No much of a challenge for the new stuff BUT a excellent place to go for a ride with the family or beginners. Will be better over the next few years as the club repairs the flood damage. Lets hope that we get no more flooding for many years.

surveyor_guy

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

New here, and new to riding in the mountains. I can see the people here put in a lot of effort to making the trails and riding a good experience for all, it's nice to see. I was hoping to head out for a day to familiarize myself with the area, but was wondering if avalanche gear is necessary in the CC and EC areas, or if I can follow the signs and avoid the avalanche areas all together? Sounds like Etherington could be a mellow ride, but you guys would no better. Thanks

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO Avy gear is not required in CC or EC. You can still come across some pretty good slopes but it is all trails and treed in heavily.
It is where I cut my teeth on hills. Depending on conditions can be quite challenging (wind drifts, sloped trials you need to side hill on). etc.
As you move South it gets more challenging. So yes EC is a good place to start.

As with any area lots of places to get in trouble if you venture off so buddie up!

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He knows of what he speaks here!

The area is mostly trails in trees, up to ridge tops, or along valley bottoms. There is only one trail that I would say is mandatory avalanche gear, but it takes a good, technically sound snowmobiler to reach the avalanche area. Do not ride Baril Creek Trail without a transceiver, probe, and shovel.

IMO Avy gear is not required in CC or EC. You can still come across some pretty good slopes but it is all trails and treed in heavily.
It is where I cut my teeth on hills. Depending on conditions can be quite challenging (wind drifts, sloped trials you need to side hill on). etc.

As with any area lots of places to get in trouble if you venture off so buddie up!

surveyor_guy

Reaction score

Excellent, thanks for the reply! Hopefully I can get out there soon.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is baril creek in valley bottom or a climb to ridge?

Baril Creek is both, it follows the valley bottom and climbs to the top of a ridge and over the pass into BC. Avalanche gear should be worn if you take the trail to BC as multiple people have been buried playing on a few different slopes on the BC side. The trail itself also crosses a slide path that came down last year on the BC side.

It should also be mentioned as it sounds like there are some new riders to the area that if you take the trail over to BC, when you enter into the Don Getty Park you must stay on the trail (as posted on numerous signs). Do not go to the top of the pass and play on Mt. Bolton, this area is out of bounds as it is in the park. You cannot leave the trail until you drop down on the BC side.

Top Bottom