Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area Thread for 2014/15

t-bird

Reaction score
I was out there on the 23rd and it was bad, there was too many rocks and very little snow. Maybe I missed something, but you couldn't stage at cataract creek unless you wanted to drive 100yards over nothing but rocks, so we went to etherington, but I was unable to find anywhere to go except the barrill loop. What I thought was the etherington trail south from baril was all washed out, and there was a re-route on what was the raspberry pass trail, that looked like more endless rocks, I turned back. The "valley bottom trail" also had a sign on it closed due to flooding. I'm not sure if I missed something, if I did I would say signage is inadequate. I am definitely going to try it again when there is better snow, the trails and scenery look really nice, shame about all the rocks mostly from the flooding I think. With a couple of feet of snow cover it would be so much better.

Attachments

• trail2.jpg
    trail2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 310
  • raspberry.jpg
    raspberry.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did more damage to my sled in one day last year than I did in the past 2 years. I'm waiting for more snow...........

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heck thats normal snow for that area. Better to carry on down to Fernie or the Pass IMO.

Hirmkin

Reaction score
We were there on boxing day it had snowed between 2" to 4". We will be going back this Friday.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 288
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 288
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 289
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 289

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was there this past Sunday and it was decent. We staged at CC and rode the road south a few miles a and found decent snow. There were a few trails that we were the first tracks in quite some time.

warrentb68

Reaction score
We were there yesterday and we unloaded at Etherington then went Raspberry. There was a bit of rocky areas where the washed out parts and detours but wasn't horrible. From Raspberry we worked our way to Cummings then to Skyline and the snow was really good there. From Skyline we hit Oyster which was ok except for the detour but not too bad really. Then up through Fallers which was actually good, then we tried to go to the cabin on the Cataract trail but with that big tree down we said screw it and headed back towards Raspberry on it. The loop that is off of Raspberry was good too on our way back to the lot for loading up. Over all it was a good day for the wife and I for a NewYears Day trip after staying up late for NewYears Eve and putting back a few!!

Last edited:

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going south quite aways from CC staging area on wilkinson summit trail/940 there is a small gas well facility on the left, is it worth while to continue south? There were a few decent open meadows just north of the gas well facility, just curious what's further south.

only rode for a few hours and snow was decent south of CC, can't say if it was good or bad to the north.

this was only my second time at CC so I'm not very familiar with the area yet. Wife and I are staying in high river tonight and go back out tomorrow. Suppose to be a tad chilly(-20) but I don't care. I work in the cold all the time so surely I can play in it

Last edited:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
After today's snow in Cowtown, I'm hoping that CC got a good dumping too. I've never been out there and would like to go one day.

Last edited:

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After today's snow in Cowtown, I'm hoping that CC got a good dumping too. I've never been out there and would like to go one day.

it was snowing pretty good when I left at around 4ish. It's 9:15 and still coming down in high river. I hope when I wake up there is a foot of snow on the hood of my truck.

meet a group of four good guys today that we're gonna show us around to the good areas but it was near the end of the day and the wife was cold. Apparently there has been some douchebag in a small 4x4 tearing around the trails.

thecheyner

Reaction score
Is it possible to do some sled skiing around CC? I've never been but I've always been curious if it's possible?

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Give me a shout, we will probably be heading out in the near future for a shake down run on my new engine.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
JZ1,I thought they were logging down 940 south of CC.Did they provide a trail for sleds as previously discussed or is the road not plowed and totally usable by sleds?

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did not see a trail for sleds, there is a ton of sled tracks on the road. Maybe I'm in the wrong but I was just following tracks and other sleds

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No troubles,It has always been a sled trail once the gate is locked Dec 1.I just thought it was closed going off info from a previous post.I love taking the family down that trail,nice and wide and several little play areas that are fun for the kids.Here is the previous post, Re: Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area Thread for 2014/15

Attention all Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area trail users

Trail Closure Immediately until sometime in February!!!

Spray Lake Sawmill has recieved permission to harvest and haul logs using Highway 940 south of the Cataract Creek P.R.A parking lot, which utilizes what snowmobilers refer to as Wilkinson Summit(Pass) Trail. This was completed with consultation with the Calgary Snowmobile Club's Trail Committee. This represents short-term pain for long term gain for both parties (sawmill shorter haul route/C.C.S.A trails quicker overall improvement).

Therefore, Wilkinson Summit Trail (Hwy 940) will be shared or closed during this period. It will be totally closed when the log trucks are hauling. When they are not, we will try to share the 940 - half graded for "pick-up" truck traffic/half with a raised berm snowmobile trail - and much signage.

More details to follow.

Last edited:

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am looking to head out for a ride on Sunday and would like to give cc a try. Never been there yet and would really like to check it out. Hopefully, that area got some of the snow Calgary got last night. Let me know if anyone would like to join up or if you have room for an extra in your group. No interest in going over the top into BC this trip - just a get to know cruise.

Correction - After spending some time outside getting my sled from the dealer and seeing the forecast getting worse I will not be going out tomorrow.

Last edited:

kitten900

Reaction score
Is it possible to do some sled skiing around CC? I've never been but I've always been curious if it's possible?

I'm sure it could be decent from the higher elevation trails with some educated scouting. If you're interested in getting out to scope sometime PM me?

Top Bottom