Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area Thread for 2014/15

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

t-bird

Reaction score
I'm going out to Calgary at the end of this week. I want to take a couple of friends and family out sledding. Is avy gear a must for riding in CC, or at least with current snow conditions? Most of them have little to no experience sledding, so it's not like we will be adventuring far, but I want them to really see the sights, so I'm guessing fording pass from what I've read? I have avy gear but just for myself, so I don't want to rent some if I don't need to.

Second question, what are the snow conditions like? I don't want to haul my sleds out from Sask if it's really bad snow conditions (although it can't be worse than here, we have none basically).

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unless you are going to the fording pass, CC is basically a trail system. No beacons required for the trail system. If they have little to no experience, I would not take them accross the Fording Pass.

Snow was decent two weeks ago but the rain may have melted what we had.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was anybody out there last weekend? I am planning on taking the family out this weekend to completed first season test runs.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going out to Calgary at the end of this week. I want to take a couple of friends and family out sledding. Is avy gear a must for riding in CC, or at least with current snow conditions? Most of them have little to no experience sledding, so it's not like we will be adventuring far, but I want them to really see the sights, so I'm guessing fording pass from what I've read? I have avy gear but just for myself, so I don't want to rent some if I don't need to.

Second question, what are the snow conditions like? I don't want to haul my sleds out from Sask if it's really bad snow conditions (although it can't be worse than here, we have none basically).

My daughter and I ride CC a few times each year. As mentioned Fording pass is NOT for beginners.
Pretty much all of CC is beginner friendly other than the Skyline trail. It can be OK at times (more than likely OK at this time of year). Other times it can be very wind drifted and if you can't side hill it can be an issue (and has no places to turn around).
For a fantasist view do the Baril Loop trail.

Often the farther south you go the better the snow gets.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am taking the family out Saturday for the day,will post Sat evening what we found.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were out today and I will say there is snow coverage,but not much.Lots of rocks showing through.We won't be going down again until they get a real good dump or two.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading to cataract tomorrow. Never been there before, is there a preferred staging area, preferred trails, off trail areas to play? Taking the wives so fording is not a option

Puckaneer19

Reaction score
A friend was out there on Monday. They had staged at Etherington. Said the coverage was thin but got better the further south they went. Cataract would be the better choice to drive to. Not sure if there has been any new snow these last couple of days or not. Try and get yourself a map before you go. Helps with the trail nav. Good idea to read some of the earlier posts on this thread too.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend was out there on Monday. They had staged at Etherington. Said the coverage was thin but got better the further south they went. Cataract would be the better choice to drive to. Not sure if there has been any new snow these last couple of days or not. Try and get yourself a map before you go. Helps with the trail nav. Good idea to read some of the earlier posts on this thread too.

Thx.

as far as venturing off trail, are there lots of places to do so? Follow the tracks, make your own?

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone got a good map or a link to a good map? The one I found on alberta parks website doesn't print very nicely

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a blast with the wife and a few buddies today. Snow coverage south of cataract staging area was good but sh1tty to the North. We were the first tracks on quite a few trails and found a few decent areas off trail to have some fun. Probably not even remotely close to the snow you die hards crave but for a prairie boy like me it was more than enough.

this is my first trip west and I'm craving the deep stuff already, can't wait to try golden soon

Last edited:

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad you have some fun. Post some pics when you can

Only managed on pic and a quick video. It's a pic/video of the wife at the bottom of a decent hill, we were first tracks up and she was sh1tting bricks. She finally built up enough courage to do it, the look on her face when she reached the top was priceless, so proud of her. She gets more confident and better every time out.

image.jpg

image.jpg

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do I post a video from my iPhone? Tried a couple times and it says fail to load. It's only 29 seconds

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Upload it to Youtube, then post the link.

Might have to head down tomorrow and check things out at Cataract. Supposed to get 5"-6" of fresh stuff tonight. Here's the link to a great weather site with a station at Lost Creek on the south end.

Current Alberta Weather Conditions Summary

Thx for the link.

Today was my first day ever at cataract and I thought it was definitely worth it. I'm sure the guys that ride there all the time wouldn't think it was a lot of snow but like I said, my prairie riding azz had a blast. The trail just west of the cataract staging area(just behind the camp kitchen) was crap, lots of rocks and very little snow cover. It was bad, wanted to throw my sled on my shoulders and walk it out lol.

image.jpg

We spent most of the day in the skyline area. What is further south of the red dot at the bottom of the map? Also my friend mention cut blocks, what are those?

Last edited:
Top Bottom