Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area Thread for 2014/15

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How were the accommodations and food choices in Longview, did you find?

Stayed at the blue sky and ate at the honky tonk. Food was good and service was great at a reasonable price. Hotel was close to $110(with taxes)which I thought was a little much for what you get but it saved a lot of driving so it was well worth.

we left drumheller Friday morning around 8am, arrived at CCSA around 11ish, rode the trails till about 430. Trails were ok, not great but not total chit. Saturday a group of 10 of us went to fording, my first time over and had a blast.

if anyone finds a skidoo tool kit, few toques, gloves, Gatorade on the trail just after you drop into the BC side they are mine. Stupid me forgot to zip up my tunnel bag after a smoke break lol

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Katie and I went out today for a rip. Needed to get some time on the new motor and belt. Conditions were perfect for that but is WAY skinny on snow in the Parking lot area and for a few KM's out. This is the least amount of snow I have ever seen in the area. Its as bad as spring time riding.
We went the main road south which has little to no snow on it (I wanted to check out the new bridge). It has been plowed. Was just enough for the scratchers to catch some. I'll bet by the end of the day it would have been all gone with how warm it was. It does get better (In the trees and trails) the farther out you go but don't plan on venturing off the trails. No base and hidden treasures all over the place. We were the first ones there spent 2.5 hours riding and when we got back to the truck 4 other trucks were just gearing up to head out. We were thinking about heading back out after we eat but with how warm it was getting and how skinny the snow was for the first few KM's we decided to call it a day.
We wont be going back until it gets snow......

Here are a 1000 words... ;-) (pictures).....

Attachments

• IMG_20150125_171804.jpg
    IMG_20150125_171804.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20150125_171835.jpg
    IMG_20150125_171835.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20150125_171854.jpg
    IMG_20150125_171854.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20150125_171907.jpg
    IMG_20150125_171907.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20150125_171957.jpg
    IMG_20150125_171957.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_20150125_172030.jpg
    IMG_20150125_172030.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to discourage everyone. Here is what it's like South. More than enough to keep the sleds cool and sliders wet. One picture of the main road as well... Sorry for the bad quality. I am taking pictures of my screen from the Drift clips I took......

Attachments

• IMG_20150125_173718.jpg
    IMG_20150125_173718.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_20150125_173744.jpg
    IMG_20150125_173744.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_20150125_173802.jpg
    IMG_20150125_173802.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_20150125_173858.jpg
    IMG_20150125_173858.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_20150125_173928.jpg
    IMG_20150125_173928.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 218

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to discourage everyone. Here is what it's like South. More than enough to keep the sleds cool and sliders wet. One picture of the main road as well... Sorry for the bad quality. I am taking pictures of my screen from the Drift clips I took......

is the 2nd last picture hiway 940/wilkinson trail?

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More snow will be coming. Mother Nature can be a real %^&*$% sometimes. Were the creeks running?
We had open water at the Cummings creek/Cateract creek bridge. As I'm sure you know the bridge is not usable so you have to go beside it. Sleds broke through so we had to go wide around that spot. With more sleds it will get worse.

Our route was 940 to Pasque all the way down to the southern tip, then all the way back on the main road (shown as a dotted line). http://www.albertaparks.ca/media/4526117/kc_-_cataract_creek_snowmobile_trails.pdf

JZ1, yes you are correct.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the 940 not off limits this year due to logging? I think it was around Xmas the 940 was not plowed from CCSA to the south cummings trail head and there were lots of sled tracks on it. When I was there this past Friday the road was plowed and I saw no sled tracks. I also saw 1/2 dozen pick up trucks on the road

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the 940 not off limits this year due to logging? I think it was around Xmas the 940 was not plowed from CCSA to the south cummings trail head and there were lots of sled tracks on it. When I was there this past Friday the road was plowed and I saw no sled tracks. I also saw 1/2 dozen pick up trucks on the road

The gate was locked so I was pretty sure it wasn't active. Had the gate been open I would not have went down it.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The gate was locked so I was pretty sure it wasn't active. Had the gate been open I would not have went down it.

I saw a few trucks unlock the gate then lock it back up when they went through. Is that normal or is it typically left open? The wife likes to ride the south trails and it's quicker to get there going down the 940

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Normally the gate is locked at all times and the road un plowed. But due to the logging its different this year. I agree it's nice to sneak in the back that way.
If you stay on the main road you can find a neat little open area to play in, Your wife would love it.
Follow until you come to a big switch back on the road that gains a bit of elevation. Just up around the corner is a meadow.
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Ca...2!3m1!1s0x4b0d03d337cc6ad9:0x9968b72aa2438fa5

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen (et. al.)

This winter, Spray Lake Sawmill (S.L.S.) has the legal right to operate AND CONTROL TRAFFIC on Highway 940, that section south of Cataract Creek P.L.U.Z. parking lot. We, at the Calgary Snowmobile Club - Trails Committee, worked with S.L.S. to keep it open for snowmobiles, for a certain distance.

The agreement we have managed with them is for snowmobile traffic on the west side of Highway 940 from the parking lot to the turn off to Pasque Trail. THERE IS TO BE NO SNOWMOBILES TRAVELLING FURTHER SOUTH THAN THIS, ON HIGHWAY 940. Therefore, the meadows you speak of below are not to be traveled to this winter. This is because of the narrowness of the road up to Wilkinson Summit and the potential for a run-in with a logging truck - of any size.

To further this agreement, there is to be a 4-5 foot wide flattened berm to be provided on Hwy 940, on the west side of the road (mostly on the west side, unless the road design dictates otherwise). Since this agreement was reached, there has not been enough snow to construct the berm. I am hopeful that this weekend/by Tuesday the area receives sufficient snow for this berm. Once constructed, the C.S.C. intends to groom the top to provide a stable and smooth surface for snowmobile traffic.

To date, there has been no interaction between a snowmobile and a vehicle, S.L.S. and the C.S.C. are pleased to report. Please keep it that way out there people, or snowmobilers may lose the access we now have.

Normally the gate is locked at all times and the road un plowed. But due to the logging its different this year. I agree it's nice to sneak in the back that way.
If you stay on the main road you can find a neat little open area to play in, Your wife would love it.
Follow until you come to a big switch back on the road that gains a bit of elevation. Just up around the corner is a meadow.
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Ca...2!3m1!1s0x4b0d03d337cc6ad9:0x9968b72aa2438fa5

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification.

Gentlemen (et. al.)

This winter, Spray Lake Sawmill (S.L.S.) has the legal right to operate AND CONTROL TRAFFIC on Highway 940, that section south of Cataract Creek P.L.U.Z. parking lot. We, at the Calgary Snowmobile Club - Trails Committee, worked with S.L.S. to keep it open for snowmobiles, for a certain distance.

The agreement we have managed with them is for snowmobile traffic on the west side of Highway 940 from the parking lot to the turn off to Pasque Trail. THERE IS TO BE NO SNOWMOBILES TRAVELLING FURTHER SOUTH THAN THIS, ON HIGHWAY 940. Therefore, the meadows you speak of below are not to be traveled to this winter. This is because of the narrowness of the road up to Wilkinson Summit and the potential for a run-in with a logging truck - of any size.

To further this agreement, there is to be a 4-5 foot wide flattened berm to be provided on Hwy 940, on the west side of the road (mostly on the west side, unless the road design dictates otherwise). Since this agreement was reached, there has not been enough snow to construct the berm. I am hopeful that this weekend/by Tuesday the area receives sufficient snow for this berm. Once constructed, the C.S.C. intends to groom the top to provide a stable and smooth surface for snowmobile traffic.

To date, there has been no interaction between a snowmobile and a vehicle, S.L.S. and the C.S.C. are pleased to report. Please keep it that way out there people, or snowmobilers may lose the access we now have.

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had to go back and re read this earlier in the thread as I didn't think I remembered reading we weren't allowed past Pasque Trai. Is this something new ?

Attention all Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area trail users

Trail Closure Immediately until sometime in February!!!

Spray Lake Sawmill has recieved permission to harvest and haul logs using Highway 940 south of the Cataract Creek P.R.A parking lot, which utilizes what snowmobilers refer to as Wilkinson Summit(Pass) Trail. This was completed with consultation with the Calgary Snowmobile Club's Trail Committee. This represents short-term pain for long term gain for both parties (sawmill shorter haul route/C.C.S.A trails quicker overall improvement).

Therefore, Wilkinson Summit Trail (Hwy 940) will be shared or closed during this period. It will be totally closed when the log trucks are hauling. When they are not, we will try to share the 940 - half graded for "pick-up" truck traffic/half with a raised berm snowmobile trail - and much signage.

More details to follow.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, something new. Originally we had discussed by phone about using the trail/highway to the top, but upon consultation with government officials, and thinking safety first, we compromised to what is in place now. My apologize for signage not being in place to clarify/indicate the proper directions. S.L.S. and the C.S.C. Trals Committee are working currently to have signs in place by the weekend of Feb.7-8.
I had to go back and re read this earlier in the thread as I didn't think I remembered reading we weren't allowed past Pasque Trai. Is this something new ?

Top Bottom