Cataract 2011/12

styylesnwife

Reaction score
Look good out there, heading out tomorrow! Everybody cross fingers my sled don't break down.lol

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it was puking on the bc side today. we broke trail in and out - our trail from the ride in was totally covered on our way out, and we only rode 3-4hrs in bc. snowing so hard visabilty was crap, but the trees were unreal!!! trail in wasn't too bad, but back to 4 open creeks. shale was so covered we saw a couple tracks where people turned around cause they couldn't follow the trail across it!

Attachments

• IMG_2061.jpg
    IMG_2061.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_2077.jpg
    IMG_2077.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2083.jpg
    IMG_2083.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_2105.jpg
    IMG_2105.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_2111.jpg
    IMG_2111.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2140.jpg
    IMG_2140.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 226

bennito

Reaction score
Any body want to go Tues,Wed,Thur.? Looking for riding partner. Let me know if you have the time thanks!!

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like a great base is setting up.Now to get all that snow the weather people are promising we are going to get this year.

cscherer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New to calgary..I am a now a club member...

where is the staging for this? I just googled it and it shows a road closure by the 940. Can you stage there?

Any info would be great...and thanks for the pics.

C

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New to calgary..I am a now a club member...

where is the staging for this? I just googled it and it shows a road closure by the 940. Can you stage there?

Any info would be great...and thanks for the pics.

C

head west on hwy 541 into kananaskis from longview. turn left at that road closure (hwy 40 closure) and go south down hwy 940. at 5km is the etherington staging area, or keep going to the cataract staging area which is at the hwy 940 road closure. access to all the trails from both staging areas.

bennito

Reaction score
How far from edmonton would this be. And it looks like an area that would req avi gear?

If your going over to the BC side you need avi gear. if you stick to the main trail system then no but a good rule would be to always ride with avi gear. your 4 1/2 hours from edmonton. I would head west if I were you not worth 4.5 hours drive to come down here.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your going over to the BC side you need avi gear. if you stick to the main trail system then no but a good rule would be to always ride with avi gear. your 4 1/2 hours from edmonton. I would head west if I were you not worth 4.5 hours drive to come down here.

I will second that

bennito

Reaction score
When are you going Bennito?
I would go tomorrow if you wanted to? But I think on Wed I got a buddy to go with so for sure on Wed. Did I meet you last year in golden at quartz? I was riding an old 1m900(glad to be off that ride lol)

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go tomorrow if you wanted to? But I think on Wed I got a buddy to go with so for sure on Wed. Did I meet you last year in golden at quartz? I was riding an old 1m900(glad to be off that ride lol)

Sent you a PM bennito
and Rich you should come with. Think the fresh will hold up till thurs?

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com

Ya Thanx I thought it might be up northwest of Calgary somewhere which wouldn't be to bad maybe another time we will be out in golden over the break though

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will second that

for sure... if your in edmonton, go to valemount or golden or revy. not worth your ride to come here.

people have to understand that the area we ride in BC is very small, cataract is designed for trail riding. yeah the pics make it look good, but 3 guys can tear up the entire area in 4hrs, and it sometimes takes a couple weeks before it fills in again. sometimes it doesn't and you get lucky like we did, but that was a VERY rare occasion. we ride there cause it is close on days when we want a short day. if i'm looking for a full day ride of lots of snow, climbs and tree runs, even i don't ride here. cataract doesn't compare to any of the 'big' areas.

also it should be noted, the wardens were out on the weekend looking for paper work - make sure you have yours if ride there!

Top Bottom