Cataract 2011/12

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would suggest joining the Calgary Snowmobile club. By joining the club you get to meet lots of great people that have the same interest as you and your wife. Each month they have club rides that are suited for everyones riding skills. Another thing is you are able to purchase ASA trail passes. The next monthly meeting is Dec 20th.

Thanks for the reminder Smithys and Knee Deep - I'm gunna join ASAP.

sapper33

Reaction score
I too am new to the sledding world, and souds like this would be a good place to get my feet wet.

What is the general view of tracked ATVs running on sled trails? I've got a set I've used for work, so I know they can do quite well, depending on the snow, but I've heard a lot of mixed thoughts from sledders. I was thinking about bringing out both toys, so the girlfriend can ride along. Would I be ruffing feathers?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too am new to the sledding world, and souds like this would be a good place to get my feet wet.

What is the general view of tracked ATVs running on sled trails? I've got a set I've used for work, so I know they can do quite well, depending on the snow, but I've heard a lot of mixed thoughts from sledders. I was thinking about bringing out both toys, so the girlfriend can ride along. Would I be ruffing feathers?

You may find your tires slashed when you get back to the parking lot. lol.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You may find your tires slashed when you get back to the parking lot. lol.

I agree... They may get through the snow well but they leave the trail in a mess! I would head to Wiaprous or Maclean where ATV's are allow during the winter...

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree... They may get through the snow well but they leave the trail in a mess! I would head to Wiaprous or Maclean where ATV's are allow during the winter...

yes, i agree... they'd be perfect for maclean!
it can get quite a bit of snow too, so it wouldn't be too bad.

Puckaneer19

Reaction score
Does anybody have an update for Etherington or Cataract since this weekend's snow?
I'd even take a trail ride to get the wife out if it's worth the trip. (Who am I kidding, I need to get out). ;)

sapper33

Reaction score
Ya no quads with tracks the rules say 'snowmobiles only' for Cataract. No ATV's
I've got no problems leaving it at home, but that ones a bag of worms. The queens printer says "no off-highway" vehicles, but does not define snow vehicles as OHV's. However the traffic safety act (also the queens printer), defines them differently. You can also get into the "what is a snow vehicle" argument, as other regulations pertaining to ATVs make specific reference to tires and ground pressure.

Bottom line, easiest to bring the sled to Cataract, and leave the ATVs for McLean.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also depends where you look, some Cataract maps refer to the areas as 'Snowmobiling', and some as 'snow vehicle'.... you are right, it is a bag of worms.

Klingon Warrior

Reaction score
Does anybody have an update for Etherington or Cataract since this weekend's snow?
I'd even take a trail ride to get the wife out if it's worth the trip. (Who am I kidding, I need to get out). ;)

I am going out Friday to run the machines for a few hours, I plan to be at Etherington at about 10 AM, heard the trails are OK, just want to play,,

slikjr

Reaction score
Hey guys, a flatlander here (Saskatoon) and wondering where abouts Cataract is exactly? How far from Calgary? How much snow? From the pictures, looks like a decent amount that's for sure. Can I get directions to staging/parking area please? And if anyone has more pics or vids, please post up. Like to see what I'd be in for if I went. Thanks a lot!

Klingon Warrior

Reaction score
Go to Longview, as you come south into Longview, you turn right or West on Hwy 40 towards Kananaskis, I believe about 45 K in you will come to a gate on the road where you turn left or South on Hwy 940. About 6 or 8 K in, you will come to the Etherington staging area on the right,where you can ride from, or continue on south to the next roadblock which is the Cataract staging area. The trail system starts from both areas, intersections are signed for the most part, great place to ride trails, there is usually lots of snow to do so,,

slikjr

Reaction score
Go to Longview, as you come south into Longview, you turn right or West on Hwy 40 towards Kananaskis, I believe about 45 K in you will come to a gate on the road where you turn left or South on Hwy 940. About 6 or 8 K in, you will come to the Etherington staging area on the right,where you can ride from, or continue on south to the next roadblock which is the Cataract staging area. The trail system starts from both areas, intersections are signed for the most part, great place to ride trails, there is usually lots of snow to do so,,

Excellent! Thanks a lot. Are there many places to get off the trails and play? I don't need to be high marking and setting records but...lol...some playing around in the powder is what I am after. I assume there are more than enough places to do that?

And lots of snow to ride right now I assume?

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Excellent! Thanks a lot. Are there many places to get off the trails and play? I don't need to be high marking and setting records but...lol...some playing around in the powder is what I am after. I assume there are more than enough places to do that?

We make no promises on snow in southern Alberta. Lol.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ah, I'd say no to riding off trail and I have the a-arms to prove it!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, a flatlander here (Saskatoon) and wondering where abouts Cataract is exactly? How far from Calgary? How much snow? From the pictures, looks like a decent amount that's for sure. Can I get directions to staging/parking area please? And if anyone has more pics or vids, please post up. Like to see what I'd be in for if I went. Thanks a lot!
personally if your already driving that far i would continue to fernie or elkford or golden not much farther and wayy better snow conditions for sure.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Finally got out for the first ride of the year.Was great to meet up and ride with another snow and mud member Klingon Warrior.Was a fun day and hope to ride with you again sometime.I would say there is no fresh snow out there from last week pretty tracked out......We were the only ones out at Etherington staging area.We stayed on Alberta side and went south.Looked to be snowing on BC side or just cloudy.Sorry not a weather man.LOLNot much for pictures.Klingon Warrior has some video....No Carnage Great day :)
DSC01317.jpg

DSC01315.jpg

DSC01314.jpg

DSC01319.jpg

DSC01318.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom