Caribou

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys...
K I'm writing about Caribou again, will be on the radio shortly as well helping to convey some of our thoughts as a snowmobiler.

I am incredibly thankful for people like Donegal Wilson ED for BCSF for her well thought out responses when we come under attack.

For you as the average everyday snowmobiler. What would you past the point of tolerance when it comes to compliance?

What makes you say enough is enough?

What makes you feel persecuted as a user group?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about spending 3 years negotiating an agreement....having it approved in 2008 by the deputy minister in charge of whatever ministry we were dealing with at the time (they change names so often I can't remember what the flavour of the day was)....and we're still waiting to this day for it to be signed by that clown in Nelson! That's 7 years and counting to sign a piece of paper, in which time he's tried 3 times to change it!

Damn, you got me started again!

:rant:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about spending 3 years negotiating an agreement....having it approved in 2008 by the deputy minister in charge of whatever ministry we were dealing with at the time (they change names so often I can't remember what the flavour of the day was)....and we're still waiting to this day for it to be signed by that clown in Nelson! That's 7 years and counting to sign a piece of paper, in which time he's tried 3 times to change it!

I freakin love you Moyie.. I owe you at least a few beer at this point. Thank you so much for all you do, your passion and your dedication to our sport. I have my own thoughts and feelings, but I want to hear from our people what frustrates them most. When you poke the bear... **** happens.. whoops I said ****.. sorry! xoxoxoxoxo

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

But ur right to rant about that, as procrastination is just as bad as not doing anything to start with

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And while we're at it.....how about when they kidnapped 20 Caribou from up north, brought them down here and turned them loose...............AND THEY ALL DIED! Not one of them killed by a sled, or even in snowmobile terrain I might add! They all fawked off to the valley bottom where the predators are, 'cuz they didn't know how to live in the mountains where they dumped them. So the Ministry of Environment murdered 20 Caribou to try to save the South Purcell herd.....which has 14 Caribou! Frickin' genius!

And we have to stay out of half a dozen large areas that haven't seen Caribou in over 20 years. The worst part is.....it was all discussed and agreed to with local club members and non-members as well.....but in the end, I'm the idiot that agreed to close them! Arrrrrrrrgh! :rant:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It is rather interesting that in the Wells/Grey area there are a few BC Parks bordering each other. No logging, no hunting, no snowmobiles, no roads, etc.. The calf survival rate is the same as anywhere else at 2%.

The penning projects have a $450,000 price tag (more or less) per calf. The money this is costing is ridiculous. I have heard/read from information out of the States that Mountain caribou are the same spieces as Woodland caribou. Can anyone out there in the know substantiate this? In my mind there are two types of caribou; Barren ground and Woodland (those are plentiful in northern BC, the Yukon, and the western NWT and are still hunted in those regions).

Another issue is the "alternate prey strategy". In the Revelstoke area they harvested 1200 moose to determine the effect on the existing wolf population. It appeared to only decrease the wolf population in the treated area by 30-40 animals.

The governmental departments have difficulty knowing what each other are doing. The biologists close an area to snowmobiling because it is prime caribou habitat only in the next year to have it clear cut. Like WTF is the government really doing????

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anyone out there in the know substantiate this? In my mind there are two types of caribou; Barren ground and Woodland (those are plentiful in northern BC, the Yukon, and the western NWT and are still hunted in those regions).

Yes, Mountain Caribou are Woodland Caribou. Genetically identical animals. That's why they call Mountain Caribou an "ecotype" rather than a subspecies. Same animal, they just live somewhere else. Took a long time to get Wildsight to top stop lying about that one.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, Mountain Caribou are Woodland Caribou. Genetically identical animals. That's why they call Mountain Caribou an "ecotype" rather than a subspecies. Same animal, they just live somewhere else. Took a long time to get Wildsight to top stop lying about that one.

I have read that elsewhere also! I hope that you are able to incorporate that little pearl of wisdom somewhere in your article Momma, it makes a person wonder that all the time and dollars spent on the caribou are more about sustaining the Caribou Industry, ie conservation officers, government researchers, heli time ect, than it is about the animals themselves!

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they relocated several dozen across the border also, and then blame low numbers on sledders. I also heard that none of these transplants survived either, this whole process was been a nightmare when i was up north
it really does suck dealing with biologists/government

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think alot of this stuff really needs to brought to the publics attention because I guarantee most people dont realize this.

1. They are not an endangered species by any means. Its the same as if a small group of say bighorn sheep found themselves in the middle of saskatchewan. Would we spend millions of taxpayer dollars trying to keep them there?
2. MILLIONS of dollars of taxpayer money (it doesnt come from some magical fund.....it comes from you and me) is being wasted on this.
3. There is NO data to support the decline of these animals with snowmobiling activity. Scientists are actually being quite unscientific with their manipulation of the data
4. The inhumane process of slaughtering tons of different animals to support this lost cause. Imagine if sledders were responsible for the slaughter of 20 caribou!! Add to that the wolf culls and other programs going on because of this.

And Im sure there are many more points. Enough is enough already. Lets get chain up opened up on the summit! Ive heard it is unreal.

Last edited:

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they are going to continue killing wolves for causing the decline of caribou, maybe we should consider ourselves lucky all they want is to ban us.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they are going to continue killing wolves for causing the decline of caribou, maybe we should consider ourselves lucky all they want is to ban us.

hahaha! I suppose hey! Maybe Miley herself will come take a run at me over here as I speak in favor of the wolf cull. Bring it Miley... come at me twerker.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Based on DNA they are identical across Canada....

Boreal woodland caribou

Boreal Woodland caribou are found across Canada’s Boreal Forest. This is the largest population of Woodland caribou in the world, but it’s also threatened — half of their habitat has disappeared in the last 50 years due to development.

Northern mountain caribou

Found in the Boreal forest of northern BC, Northwest Territories and the Yukon.

Southern Mountain caribou

This threatened and endangered population is found in the Rockies of British Columbia and Alberta. A sub-population, the Mountain caribou, is recognized by British Columbia as endangered.

Newfoundland Woodland caribou

The island of Newfoundland is home to the one regional population of woodland caribou that is not at risk.

Atlantic (Gaspesie) caribou

This endangered population is the last vestige of a population that once roamed New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI and the New England states. It is the only population of Woodland caribou that has a completed recovery strategy under the federal Species at Risk Act.

Dawson’s Woodland caribou

The extinct Dawson’s population once lived on the islands of Haida Gwaii (the Queen Charlotte Islands) on the northwest coast of British Columbia, Now, there’s only one — stuffed and mounted in the Royal British Columbia Museum in Victoria.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Woodland caribou

Rangifer tarandus caribou

Unique in the world, woodland caribou (also called mountain caribou, particularly in Canada) live wholly in the lush Inland Temperate Rainforest, which extends from eastern British Columbia down into eastern Washington and western Idaho.

Conservation Northwest is a leading organization in the fight to save the critically endangered caribou of the Inland Northwest, the southernmost caribou in the world.

Top Bottom