career choices!

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The single biggest piece of advice I can give you is to find something you enjoy. The second is to consider something that will allow you to branch off into other things if the need or want ever arises. Also, I have some thoughts about the suggestions already made:

Safety: Seems to be one of the big areas that people looking for a change are chasing these days. However, I often wonder where one could go from there once boredom sets in.

Professional Engineering: The engineering program is very grueling and you better like math and physics - a lot. I was in it 20 years ago and the dropout rate was about 60%. I think those numbers have since improved but only because they have tightened up entry requirements and force students into general sciences before they enter the faculty. On the upside, and engineering degree will offer you a lot of choices and will allow you to more easily bounce to other careers without having to go back to school full time. In fact, you'll find a good portion of engineers no longer do anything engineering related at all.

Engineering Technologist (diploma): There are some disciplines that score better than others in terms of upward mobility and pay. Of course, being at the right place at the right time has a lot to do with a technologist's success. Civil eng techs seems to fair better than most other disciplines for reasons I do not understand (higher demand maybe) and often seem to be regarded as full fledged engineers.

Trades: There are a ton of options here and no shortage of work. This is likely your quickest way to get good $, especially if you're willing to work in the boonies. Those who have good work ethic and the ability to sock away cash for slow periods and periods between jobs flourish in the trades. And, if you're not scared to get your nose a little brown, you might be able to wiggle yourself into management - granted, this often means taking a pay cut in exchange for the break on your aging body.

Pilot: Don't know much about being a pilot other than the old stereotype that they have no shortage of poon.

That's just my two cents, now back to MY own poorly chosen career. :beer:

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
My first question; what is your present education level, subjects taken, and marks?

It is all fine and dandy to throw out all these ideas but if your academics can't handle it then the advice has to start again.

The one thing I can say for you to consider is that you may want a stepping stone after 10 years in any industry. Look around and see where you can go.

Engineers, who are good usually end up in management and/or sales. Engineers who are not good continue to be poor engineers until they retire (generally speaking). The same thing happens with degrees in Commerce, Education, the Sciences, etc..

Something else to consider, and I use this as an example only. If you are a teacher (you have set holidays and) you basically work the same hours throughout your career. If you go into engineering, or other professions, as you progress through your career there are options for time off during the day and year. (How many teachers doo you see on the golf course in the early afternoon and engineers or other professionals can usually swing something to get off early.

Answer the question at the beginning and we can go from there..............:d

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't need any courses for this in alberta. You need to have lost your licence for DUI; expense more alcohol then anyone else in the company; demolish at least one company vehicle; achieve a grade ten education,and be able to talk loud and consistently. If you can do these things, you are ready for a management position. Don't even think about a safety position until you have a life changing work related story to share with everyone.

Doesn't he need to be from farther east for that :)

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would also like to add something from personal experience. Just after school I went and started my heavy duty mechanic apprenticeship and completed it. About a year into my journeyman year I suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning on a repeated basis. Had to get retrained and could not enter any other trades program. So, got my business degree and international trade and 23 years later I have never looked back and dont miss those years. I seen my trade friends excel in income in the early stages and have to admit was a bit of a bummer. However, I used my knowledge and started my own company and have surpassed most of my friends in the income level. However, this is the kicker.......... after years in the trades their health is starting to take a toll whereas my office job has been easier on me (except for the stress). So, dont discount a business degree and that can lead into great opportunities even parallel with your current knowledge.
Good Luck!

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good on ya for asking! IMHO I'd say to pick a trade. And not just any trade, but one that you can moonlight at. Electrician comes to mind. Get ticketed, get some experience, work a rotational gig, and wire houses or garages on your time off for $$ under the table. Pitch in with some other trades when the market is hot, and use your trade experience plus cash to go in on building a spec house. Made in the shade baby!!

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a couple on-line aptitude tests. Both my sons came up with liking problem solving, working with their hands and in difficult conditions. Both ended up millwrights. I've been working for 35 years now, I did one for s**** and giggles, came up with liking decision making, working out doors and with heavy equipment, been a supervisor in forestry for 35 years now, never regretted it.

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good on ya for asking! IMHO I'd say to pick a trade. And not just any trade, but one that you can moonlight at. Electrician comes to mind. Get ticketed, get some experience, work a rotational gig, and wire houses or garages on your time off for $$ under the table. Pitch in with some other trades when the market is hot, and use your trade experience plus cash to go in on building a spec house. Made in the shade baby!!

Moonlighters drive down hourly wages, just sayin. City I moved from had no shortage of auto mechanics moonlighting for $40 an hour that a legit shop had a hard time charging $65 and most customers would bitch we were too expensive yet we had a scan tool and the Moonlighters didn't. That said, auto mechanics made real low wages there compared to other cities. I made $7 an hour as a 2nd year there, and made $14 in Edmonton in the same year and similar small independent shop, where Edmonton doesn't have too many auto techs moonlighting. Most Moonlighters cited low wages as reason they were doing it!

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you considered EMT or paramedic. Look into Firefighting. Depending on the areas they do medical and or fire standby at job sites.

Also the City's are hiring each year.

summitx411

Reaction score
Moonlighters often go that route since they can earn say 15 an hour at a shop or charge 40 doing their own thing with little to no overhead. Its cheaper for a fix but if its a shotty mechanic good luck if you have trouble down the road.

tipper

Reaction score
fernie has some good questions. I'm in the same boat as you right now but a little older.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of good suggestions but apart from your very brief bio, none of us knows much about you (and that is OK for this exercise). If you like to work with your hands and enjoy working outside, the trades are a great place to be. At 25 I made the switch from construction to risk management and insurance so I learned a tremendous amount about a lot of things involved in accomplishing almost everything. In the 28 years in that career I was seldom bored, constantly challenged and retired a year and a half ago having sold my business. I am right now just taking some time doing renovations on my home and another I own so I guess for the time being I am back in construction (sort of as I subcontract out the stuff I am not good at). Something not mentioned that I noticed in this thread is IT professional. There are quite a few I met over the years who have done really well and lets face it - computers and software are more prevalent in our daily lives. Take a look at the creativity in this website and you have to admire the thought and work that has gone into it. With wireless and remote technology, you can do this work (and other administrative type work) from a computer anywhere in the world. I helped negotiate and review a number of substantial contracts while sitting at the bar at an all inclusive resort in Mexico. Worth a look I'd say.

Last edited:

tipper

Reaction score
Very true 52weekbreak. Trades certainly aren't for everyone, there's alot of people out there that don't have the "niche" to do trades work but get pushed into it.
Alot of people I talk to that don't have joined the rcmp or became a paramedic or ran machinery etc..Maybe computers and software is where it's at?

Last edited:

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tipper. As was pointed out previously in this thread, generally people do their best when they are doing something they really like whatever that is. I was really lucky in finding something that I became quite passionate about but some people have a long search and still never find that special "thing" that makes them happy. I think a key secret is go out and try something new and you might need to take a cut in pay (hopefully temporarily) but the paycheck size doesn't matter if you hate your job. BTW, my brother went into health and safety with a growing company and retired at 48 so that certainly worked out for him. I lost count of the welders I've met who became millionaires so there is any number of ways to make your way in life including being a postman. I just can't think of anything that doesn't involve computers and software so that has got to be a pretty fantastic gateway to a career. I will step down from the soap box now:)

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just look to our American friends for the answer. We will be in there position soon. Everyone there is over educated and cant find a job. Dont waste your money, unless you can recoup it fast. If it will take years of education and years to pay it back it will never pan out.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well in high school I was around an 80% average I would say. I had sleds, atvs and hockey on my brain and school wasn't my biggest concern. I have street smarts but was never the best in math. I have looked into the safety courses and it appears they are about 3 months long on campus or 2 years online. I would most definitely get a leave from work and go on campus for the 3 months. for the past 7-8 years I have ran various pieces of equipment on surface and underground and I tend to enjoy the more challenging ones that take skill to operate. I live in a small town where the mining industry is all we have, but it is time for me to make a move! I've already sold my house and am free to go anywhere. I am most interested in Kamloops for the 2 mine options, but I am open to central alberta or even central Saskatchewan. I did the fort mac thing for 5 years and I feel it would be no different then how I am living now. I want to be in a city or nearby(within an hour away) I am currently 4 hours from the nearest city. I am great with people and am very easy going, I can see myself working in an office setting or helping people in some way or another.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Well in high school I was around an 80% average I would say. I had sleds, atvs and hockey on my brain and school wasn't my biggest concern. I have street smarts but was never the best in math. I have looked into the safety courses and it appears they are about 3 months long on campus or 2 years online. I would most definitely get a leave from work and go on campus for the 3 months. for the past 7-8 years I have ran various pieces of equipment on surface and underground and I tend to enjoy the more challenging ones that take skill to operate. I live in a small town where the mining industry is all we have, but it is time for me to make a move! I've already sold my house and am free to go anywhere. I am most interested in Kamloops for the 2 mine options, but I am open to central alberta or even central Saskatchewan. I did the fort mac thing for 5 years and I feel it would be no different then how I am living now. I want to be in a city or nearby(within an hour away) I am currently 4 hours from the nearest city. I am great with people and am very easy going, I can see myself working in an office setting or helping people in some way or another.

Your background is interesting. If math was not your forte, so to speak, that eliminates a lot of careers from the get-go (engineering, some of the sciences, possibly some of the trades like carpentry with stairs and trusses, etc..).

Whatever you decide, don't be afraid of a commitment for some sort of schooling. You are young and the time and money it will cost you is a drop in the bucket 40 years down the road. Think of the big picture!

The comment about how long it takes to pay back educational loans doesn't make sense. I am talking about any education and not just University. It is a known fact that the more education you have the more money you make. Yes, there are lots of exceptions. Funny how that works, a guy can go and make a commitment on a leased jacked-up truck that is worth nothing after the 5-7 years of payments but doesn't see the value and opportunity in education.

You seem to have a handle on this and I am sure you will find something of your liking and have many successes.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your background is interesting. If math was not your forte, so to speak, that eliminates a lot of careers from the get-go (engineering, some of the sciences, possibly some of the trades like carpentry with stairs and trusses, etc..).

Whatever you decide, don't be afraid of a commitment for some sort of schooling. You are young and the time and money it will cost you is a drop in the bucket 40 years down the road. Think of the big picture!

The comment about how long it takes to pay back educational loans doesn't make sense. I am talking about any education and not just University. It is a known fact that the more education you have the more money you make. Yes, there are lots of exceptions. Funny how that works, a guy can go and make a commitment on a leased jacked-up truck that is worth nothing after the 5-7 years of payments but doesn't see the value and opportunity in education.

You seem to have a handle on this and I am sure you will find something of your liking and have many successes.

If your talking about my opinion, my trucks paid for from the day I bought it, I understand the process of making money fairly well.

An education has ZERO value with out a job that compensates for the cost of it, plus the lost revenue while receiving the education instead of spending that time in the labor force.

If you want real advise, Whatever job you choose doesn't matter as much as what you do with the money you earn, that will create a "good living" for yourself and your family. Make smart investments and educate yourself in economics and finance. Set yourself up to become a business owner and reap the rewards.

backseatrider

Reaction score
If you enjoy the outdoors I would suggest survey engineering. They are needed pretty much anywhere and with the larger companies you can work in the city some days and field the next. Also since you like dealing with people landman or woman make excellent money and the education requirements can be met in a coop program.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
If your talking about my opinion, my trucks paid for from the day I bought it, I understand the process of making money fairly well.

An education has ZERO value with out a job that compensates for the cost of it, plus the lost revenue while receiving the education instead of spending that time in the labor force.

If you want real advise, Whatever job you choose doesn't matter as much as what you do with the money you earn, that will create a "good living" for yourself and your family. Make smart investments and educate yourself in economics and finance. Set yourself up to become a business owner and reap the rewards.

I wasn't pointing you out gates. I was just talking in general. I agree with smart investments with the money one makes. I see too many young people financed to the hilt to keep up with the Jone's or because they want things now. It is an entitlement today instead of working and saving and paying cash. A house and mortgage are fine in my books but cars, trucks, boats, sleds, quads, hot-tubs, TV's, and a lot of other luxury items should only be purchased with cash.

Back on topic......I agree that the value of the job has to relate to the cost of the education. The cost of the education is another kettle of fish. Too many take out loans and live high on the hog while they are going to school, and don't work hard enough in the summer months to put some money away for the school year. How many people work two jobs in the summer to save money for the following school year? They think they should have summer holidays..........:D

I doo stand by my point that generally the more education one has the more money one makes.

Top Bottom