car with hunting steering?

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with a hunting car? Most of the time it goes straight as an arrow then it will hunt, or turn sharp one way or turn sharp the other way. Seems to turn when going over bumps or ruts like its following them. Im not sure its the power steering being most of the time the car works fine. Its a Mazda RX8 with about 100,000 km on it. Is it the tie rods? Ball Joints?

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first guess.... alignment....the real question then would be why?

At what speed does it show up at?

There are a few variables, it could be tires ... what kind of tires are you running and what condition are they in? Are they wearing uneven? Some of these answers will lead you back to the front end components.

If your not comfortable checking the front end parts get it done at any alignment shop....you'll end up there any way....if you discover some worn components and replace them you'll still need or want the aliment done....

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 4 wheel alignment like a month ago. The thing is last night the damn thing all over the place again like it will go straight and hunt a bit but if you change lanes it turns sharp as hell. This morning it drove normal the whole time. Ill probably have to take it into the shop and get them to look it over, i hope its not the power steering.........bla like $1000

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got a 4 wheel alignment like a month ago. The thing is last night the damn thing all over the place again like it will go straight and hunt a bit but if you change lanes it turns sharp as hell. This morning it drove normal the whole time. Ill probably have to take it into the shop and get them to look it over, i hope its not the power steering.........bla like $1000

if it shoots one way and ya cant bring it back sounds like the power steering rack

hippiekiller

Reaction score
Siphon some fluid out with a turkey baster or whatever, If it looks contaminated flush the whole system, that will probably help...Some imports use mineral oil instead of pwr steering fluid, mixing them will result in leaky seals and pulsing steering....

Top Bottom