Cans still affect warranty?

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does brp still have a policy to deny warranty claims with an aftermarket muffler on the 850T. I recall seeing a memo floating around a while back, but I'm not sure if they changed direction on that.

I would love to get a quiet muffler to shave a bit of weight, but not if I'm throwing warranty out the window.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
question is, does the ecu somehow notice through the various sensors, that an aftermarket can was installed at some point? seems like the ECU logs lots of data and probably just as much for trouble shooting as for warranty claims.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
question is, does the ecu somehow notice through the various sensors, that an aftermarket can was installed at some point? seems like the ECU logs lots of data and probably just as much for trouble shooting as for warranty claims.
It has been claimed by some that it is able to be seen. These new ECUs monitor a lot of data.

I'm just not interested in risking warranty on such an expensive machine over something so trivial. Most auto manufacturers won't bat an eye at a catback exhaust system or an air intake. But I've seen the memo from brp back in 2020. Just wondering if they have the same policy in effect

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of a sled dealership denying warrantee over a can.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've said it before and I will say it again. Buy it from your dealer and get them to say they will cover warranty. They are the ones who would call you out if you buy elsewhere. They won't make themselves look bad in the eyes of BRP.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wouldn't risk it, the policy is still in effect and that new Sky ECM logs alot of data. Like mentioned unless you can get it in writing from your dealer. Not to mention the sled runs best with the factory can. Not worth the 10lbs loss. BRP warranty is brutal to begin with, i wouldn't give them any reason to kick you to the curb, because they will.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wouldn't risk it, the policy is still in effect and that new Sky ECM logs alot of data. Like mentioned unless you can get it in writing from your dealer. Not to mention the sled runs best with the factory can. Not worth the 10lbs loss. BRP warranty is brutal to begin with, i wouldn't give them any reason to kick you to the curb, because they will.
I guess I am used to dealing with Polaris warranty. Always looked after me and never questioned little things like a can. Reality is a good can will not affect how a sled runs as it will have the same backpressure, flows, and temperture sensor locations. If the can manufacturer claims to make more power it obviously is not equal and then it may be detected by the computer. Do your homework and if you are not confident then follow Maxwell.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I am used to dealing with Polaris warranty. Always looked after me and never questioned little things like a can. Reality is a good can will not affect how a sled runs as it will have the same backpressure, flows, and temperture sensor locations. If the can manufacturer claims to make more power it obviously is not equal and then it may be detected by the computer. Do your homework and if you are not confident then follow Maxwell.

it was a non issue before the turbo models came out. They are paying a lot more attention to the warranty claims on the turbo models. Never ever heard of a warranty being denied on an NA model, heck most guys wouldnt even take the can off when they took it in. Dealers even used to sell them and put them on the new sleds at PDI. Turbo, not so much.

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sure there is doo turbo dealers still selling them and installing cans. Maybe not the one you deal with Max

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran full exhaust setups on plenty of cats and never once had them chump out on the warranty issues, never once put back to stick to bring in….. although never really had any major engine issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran full exhaust setups on plenty of cats and never once had them chump out on the warranty issues, never once put back to stick to bring in….. although never really had any major engine issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when cat has a highly advanced 2s turbo let me know what they say about cans. LOL

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone actually heard direct from their dealer that running a can on a new (2020.5 - 2022) turbo would void their warrantee?

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone actually heard direct from their dealer that running a can on a new (2020.5 - 2022) turbo would void their warrantee?
Friend of mine was recently told by a dealer it was a no go. Just heard this yesterday.

There's also this memo from 2020 as posted by maxwell back then.
1666650401393.png

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fack it! toss a buncha Bikeman parts on her and a tune... Send that bish! those are old sleds now that the G5's are showing up lol

Top Bottom