Canola oil

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody runs canola oil in their fuel. A mechanic beside our shop runs it in all his trucks and swears by it. Any insight is appreciated

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Never heard of that before. Given the nature of bio fuels and there tendency to separate and attract water over time, I can't see adding canola oil as a good thing.

capercal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
R u looking for a desiel add? Check out DPS in Calgary. Ask for Kevin Mr Desiel, awesome guy.

fhe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody runs canola oil in their fuel. A mechanic beside our shop runs it in all his trucks and swears by it. Any insight is appreciated

Had a guy mention that to me a couple of weeks ago, said some even crushing their own canola seed. Said there is a fair bit of info on Youtube. Haven't looked yet, though!.

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out Milligan Bio Tech. They are out of sask. they produce a diesel conditioner out of canola oil. I've ran it in my diesel for 250000km, 7500 hours and no issues with it. It's great stuff!

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score

R u looking for a desiel add? Check out DPS in Calgary. Ask for Kevin Mr Desiel, awesome guy.
Ya,what he said^^^^^^^^,you mean for a diesel additive???
Never heard of this before...

fhe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you Google "canola oil into biodiesel" it has sites with info paks on how to make your own Biodiesel. Seems simple enough, not sure about cost effectiveness with so many variables. They also give info on how to run your truck on used cooking oil. Interesting.

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was just seeing if anybody has run straight canola oil. That is all he runs. Changes fuel filter emptys out the bowl and fills with canola oil then dumps a cup or two into the tank. He is a big die hard dodge guy/mechanic. The only reason I asked him what i could do was my fuel mileage went to crap and was hoping for some insight on how to help improve it and that is what he told me to do. I have heard of other people putting in ATF fluid into there diesel to help lubricate. Just wondering was all the post was for as we have alot of people on this site with diesels who are always trying one thing or another. Thanks Mark

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of people seem to add tcw3 2 stroke oil in there diesels to add lube back that has been lost with ulsd.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Howes meaner power cleaner, and fuel conditioner is the only product I use. I can't see how pure canola oil is DPF safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was just seeing if anybody has run straight canola oil. That is all he runs. Changes fuel filter emptys out the bowl and fills with canola oil then dumps a cup or two into the tank. He is a big die hard dodge guy/mechanic. The only reason I asked him what i could do was my fuel mileage went to crap and was hoping for some insight on how to help improve it and that is what he told me to do. I have heard of other people putting in ATF fluid into there diesel to help lubricate. Just wondering was all the post was for as we have alot of people on this site with diesels who are always trying one thing or another. Thanks Mark

Depends what year of truck. There is plenty of things that can be safely added to a 12v, but with the newer CR engines a lot of things you are asking for trouble, like ATF used oil etc. No idea about canola oil, never heard of it before.

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
O and if you email Cummins, they will recommend nothing (results can vary but generally they say nothing is best). Straight clean diesel. Only anti gel if you have issues in the cold.

Don't know about you, but I wouldn't be dumping random stuff into my tank when a very expensive engine is at stake.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen an old Mack engine run on pure canola oil, actually it dynoed with more power BUT it was a 1970something with a basic mechanical fuel injection setup. Any late model diesel engine has very tight tolerances on the fuel system, dumping anything other than clean fuel and conditioner like power service is asking for a big repair bill. JMO

Top Bottom