Cancelling cable and streaming TV

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very easy to set-up. Install app. Type in a username and password. Scroll to what you want to view. Click enter.

Don't over pay for a pre-programmed android box. They all will need updates easy 5 minute YouTube clip will show you how to install apps. With everyone using smart phones and tablets, installing apps should not be something new.

All you sports, PPV and network channels can be streamed in HD with a good IPTV service. The VOD can be streamed for free with many free android apps.

Get an Amazon FireStick. 5 minute setup.

We have had netflix for sometime now,.. experimenting with Roku, Amazon prime and my daughter has Disney. Will see what happens comes Jan/Feb I may be interested

Last edited:

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the Netflix, Amazon Prime and now Disney are all paid apps,,,there are better options.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use to use Kodi it's alright but can be annoying. Only paying $35 for satellite with a fair bit of channels. Hard to bother screwing around getting things to work at that price. Every 6-12 months I just call Telus and tell them chit is too expensive I want a better deal or i'm cancelling and they give me the same deal again.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the Netflix, Amazon Prime and now Disney are all paid apps,,,there are better options.

Roku free, Netflix $167yr, Amazon prime $80yr(movies, music and books), Disney my daughter is paying for.

All of these together still cheaper than Telus combined

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bringing this back up:

We finally cut cable tv last month, went from $140/month for TV and internet to now $65 for internet. We have Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and Discovery Go and can pretty much watch everything we did before. Granted we are paying $41/month for all these services. We can even get Global or CBC if we desired to watch it.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
We use the firestick.... between us and the kids we have Netflix, Crave & Disney - we have one, and each of the daughters have the others.

We used to pay telus $169/month now I pay craveTV $20/month

Only thing I miss is hockey

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my sports to much to dump satellite. NASCAR, NHL, CFL, MLB and Golf. Like my network dramas as well but I see some of those are now on Stack TV and other streaming services.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We did something similar, reduced satellite package was like $159 now it’s $45 had hbo and a bunch of Chanel’s we never watched

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I don't like the regional restrictions on SN. Oil playing the Stars and we can't watch it. But then again the other night we got both the Oiler game and the Flames games. No rhyme nor reason. Do they have regional restrictions on SN Now?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't like the regional restrictions on SN. Oil playing the Stars and we can't watch it. But then again the other night we got both the Oiler game and the Flames games. No rhyme nor reason. Do they have regional restrictions on SN Now?

Here's the explanation from SN Now, but because you live in BC you will have the regional restrictions on the Oilers and Flames, Albertans would be able to see every game.

You could also buy the Premium package for $34.99/month that would unlock the regional restricitions and allow you to watch all the Oilers or Flames games.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Here's the explanation from SN Now, but because you live in BC you will have the regional restrictions on the Oilers and Flames, Albertans would be able to see every game.

You could also buy the Premium package for $34.99/month that would unlock the regional restricitions and allow you to watch all the Oilers or Flames games.

Thanks. It appears that it is cheaper to buy the Center Ice package from Telus and that allows one to watch all of the NHL games including the playoffs.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cut the land lines and satellite tv as well a few months ago .
Don’t miss it a bit .

Ricki Bobby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use the firestick.... between us and the kids we have Netflix, Crave & Disney - we have one, and each of the daughters have the others.

We used to pay telus $169/month now I pay craveTV $20/month

Only thing I miss is hockey
I am looking into this as well, but I need to watch hockey! I need to figure this out

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been 3. 5 years without internet and cable,do have some data . We have family next door so we go over and download shows every couple of weeks while catching up on stuff. Works good for us , I do miss my sports but I'm surviving with out it

Last edited:

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’d like to “cut” the cords, but my internet isn’t that fast for everyone in my house to be streaming at the same time.
$160+/month for all the Telus crap, including satellite TV.
My local telus guy is a young kid who I’ve worked with his dad for many years. He recommended I stay with Satellite TV for now…..??

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
With Starlink satellite internet, I can easily use my Amazon Fire stick, Watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Sportsnet. There are many other channels on the Prime network and I can subscribe if I wish to many others. That's enough for me.

Top Bottom