Canada Post Strike - 2018

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They say their injury rate is higher than longshoremen, is this just icy walkways, overfill mail bags, crackheads?
They don’t go into much for detail

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wonder what kind of disability coverage the longshoreman gets as compared to the public sector employee? Not saying that is influencing injures, but it might.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont hate unions for helping the avg Joe get a decent wage. However, I hate the unions when they hold me hostage for their gain. Several years ago I imported a container of perishable goods into Vancouver. Lost US$22,000.00 because the longshoremen went on strike and we could not retrieve our goods for several weeks. So, because of this I am very bitter when the union makes their problem my problem without consideration of my livelihood.

There sure seems to be alot of union haters responding to this thread. I believe that we don't know all the facts from both sides. The fact that this is happening now is not good for us but good for the union. I also believe if it wasn't for unions most people would be making alot less with alot less benefits. Think and say what you want but the unions have helps alot of people for many,many years get fair deals and has held companies accountable. The unions are not perfect either but lots of companies have tried many times to screw over lots of employee's. Most companies don't give a rats ass about their employee's even if they say they do. As a union member all my life I was more than GRATEFUL that I had a union to look out for my best interest when the company that I worked for most of my life and thought they were great but in the end they treated us like sh** when they were closing the branch. The union made sure we were treated better and due to the union agreement stating the company will pay us a hefty severance i was able walk away a very happy man. I firmly believe without them all of us would of got tons less money.( non union members did get less than us) I am also sure some people will respond back thinking who the hell is this guy but after reading the post I had to say something. I'm now going to grab a coffee and get all my day started. What to do when we can't sled yet??

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont hate unions for helping the avg Joe get a decent wage. However, I hate the unions when they hold me hostage for their gain. Several years ago I imported a container of perishable goods into Vancouver. Lost US$22,000.00 because the longshoremen went on strike and we could not retrieve our goods for several weeks. So, because of this I am very bitter when the union makes their problem my problem without consideration of my livelihood.

Fully agreed! Nowhere near the same magnitude as your ordeal but I ordered a cradle to mount my GPS last Wednesday and paid extra to get it in 2 days. As the today the "expected delivery" is this Friday and who knows if that will happen. **** Canada Post making their problem my problem

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2018/11/18 00:01 Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption
2018/11/16 00:01 Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption
2018/11/15 00:01 Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption
2018/11/14 18:36 CALGARY, AB Item processed
2018/11/14 00:01 Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption
2018/11/14 15:34 CALGARY, AB Shipment picked up by Canada Post
2018/11/14 Electronic information submitted by shipper

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of you have nothing to worry about, untill it disrupts your package or dope. Only reason you hate this, well what about all the other unions that strike, that's ok because it has no direct contact with you. All you that have issues with it research the whole truth not just what you see on the news. Yes true letters are down 30% but parcels are up 200%. So who the hell do you think deliver them. Most of you make more then them and just sit on your ass.....ya Canada post tells half a storey....does anyone out there know why it seems to come up every couple yrs at this time. Let's see if the complainers even know, ��

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I know is I paid for a service and now my package is being held hostage by the CP union suddenly refusing to do their job. Whatever is happening beteen them and management shoudn't need to be my business. I know if I didn't like some terms of my employment and I suddenly stopped work in protest I'd be canned immediately.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1 I dislike all unions, even the one my wife works for.
2 leverage, because Christmas is coming
3 upper management has to put there two bits in to justify there job.
4 you must work for Canada post. Don’t go postal on us it’s just a chat box.
5 I make my millions standing up.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of you have nothing to worry about, untill it disrupts your package or dope. Only reason you hate this, well what about all the other unions that strike, that's ok because it has no direct contact with you. All you that have issues with it research the whole truth not just what you see on the news. Yes true letters are down 30% but parcels are up 200%. So who the hell do you think deliver them. Most of you make more then them and just sit on your ass.....ya Canada post tells half a storey....does anyone out there know why it seems to come up every couple yrs at this time. Let's see if the complainers even know,

Good sir. I see you are a plumber and gas fitter. I feel like we can relate a little because I’m a Refrig mechanic and a gas fitter. I have a business that requires parts that get shipped from different parts of the province and country. I’m sure you have learned or feel the affects of no longer having greyhound. I have. My company has. So. On top of that I now have to deal with invoices and cheque’s that are out there in mail outter space. Drifting in the Canada post abiss. BUT WAIT there’s more. I have also done work directly for Canada Post. And yes. You guessed it. That too was also a Chit show. In closing, I would also like to make it known that our country is currently allowing an enormous amount of migrants and refugees in that are looking for work. The kinda work that involves delivering. Kinda like what Canada Post should be doing right now.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I can see the mentality of Morneau, offer the low life workers (his thought) $1000 and they will jump at it. I'm glad the postal workers didn't but lets get this to the table and resolve it.

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive seen some of the unions request and im thinking they are asking to much. Double time for 6 or 7 days work. Hell no, you get time and a half like the rest of us.

i am no fan of unions, props up the lazy and weak and discourages the hard workers.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of you have nothing to worry about, untill it disrupts your package or dope. Only reason you hate this, well what about all the other unions that strike, that's ok because it has no direct contact with you. All you that have issues with it research the whole truth not just what you see on the news. Yes true letters are down 30% but parcels are up 200%. So who the hell do you think deliver them. Most of you make more then them and just sit on your ass.....ya Canada post tells half a storey....does anyone out there know why it seems to come up every couple yrs at this time. Let's see if the complainers even know, 🖕

All unions striking is BS, unions serve zero positive purpose today. Only protect chit employees. If they are on strike my business will go elsewhere, and not come back. As a business owner i'm fawking sick of useless employees and one's who don't give a chit about anything. If you're a chitty employee you deserve the same in compensation. There is VERY few good employees around no matter what industry you're in.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All unions striking is BS, unions serve zero positive purpose today. Only protect chit employees. If they are on strike my business will go elsewhere, and not come back. As a business owner i'm fawking sick of useless employees and one's who don't give a chit about anything. If you're a chitty employee you deserve the same in compensation. There is VERY few good employees around no matter what industry you're in.
^^^^^^What he said.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 134

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our company recently got into pipeline work and most of the competition is union. We have found that we are consistently coming in 50% to 60% the cost of the union company on the same work by the end of project and we are billing full rates. If we billed any more we would be stealing. Our clients are so happy but made the comment that they almost didnt use us because they thought we were to cheap and there was no way we could do the work. All the comments from the union companies are, " they will go out of business at those costs". lol, these are the best rates we have billed since before the NDP and i am so happy to work for them. Unions are basically government, wasteful and inefficient.

Top Bottom