Can you fly a Plane????????

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondered how many pilots we have in our little group of peep's.

Thinking about getting my PL and wondered what anybody could give me for advise as far as the training goes.

Maybe share your thoughts on cost to keep your PL in good standing.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondered how many pilots we have in our little group of peep's.

Thinking about getting my PL and wondered what anybody could give me for advise as far as the training goes.

Maybe share your thoughts on cost to keep your PL in good standing.

snowmobiling is cheap sport compared to flyin

just sayin

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup, over 40 years

1229808_10200342319791940_664494968_n.jpg

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you looking to go commercial CPL? If so I wouldn't focus on Schools like Mount Royals Aviation program, you are better off going a different path. if just a PPL it comes down to how deep your pockets are as rentals after ground school can add up quickly.

At a glance these guys suggest $12000-14000 but you can do it under $10k if you shop around

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply, I'm curious about the rating's one would acquire after the initial PL licensing. I would expect that having your instrumentation is only a given but when one upgrades to more and more ratings does it become a pain trying to keep these rating in good order. My basic understanding of this means that if you have lets say a multi engine rating that you would need to fly the multi engine plane every 6 months or so to keep your rating up and current. Is this true?

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you looking to go commercial CPL? If so I wouldn't focus on Schools like Mount Royals Aviation program, you are better off going a different path. if just a PPL it comes down to how deep your pockets are as rentals after ground school can add up quickly.

At a glance these guys suggest $12000-14000 but you can do it under $10k if you shop around

Not looking to change jobs, just looking at the aspect of flying for myself and own pleasure. Im more interested in other peoples experience in whether they actually fly as much as the thought they would and what ratings they have.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda of wondering myself too.
I was trying to save up to get helicopter experience about 5 years ago but I couldn't do it for 50 hours piston and 50 hours turbine it was over 80,000. With that little hours nobody would hire you in the end anyways, be lucky if you could get on a little robinson way up north and make minimum wage.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Look for local flying clubs. If there’s on in your area you can buy into, that can be a less expensive way to do it. That is what my plan is once this stupid oilfield comes around again. Hopefully another year or so.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beauty pic RGM! My grandpa crashed into lorna lake with his beaver years and years ago and was killed along with some forestry workers. Always wanted to learn to fly but just too broke I guess.

Tyax air flies into Lorna regularly dropping off mtn bikers. It is not that much if you just want to go for a flight and see the lake

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I'm curious about the rating's one would acquire after the initial PL licensing. I would expect that having your instrumentation is only a given but when one upgrades to more and more ratings does it become a pain trying to keep these rating in good order. My basic understanding of this means that if you have lets say a multi engine rating that you would need to fly the multi engine plane every 6 months or so to keep your rating up and current. Is this true?

IFR rating requires a check out every year. Multi once you got it there is no checks but nobody would rent to you if you haven't flown for 6 months without a check ride.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel like if I were ever in a situation where I had to land a plane to save all of the people in it I could. Thats not based on any training though. Just from what I have seen in movies and a high level of personal confidence.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have my license but I did take a novelty lesson and started looking into going all the way. The cost of the license largely depends on you. As a rule of thumb, the more quickly you go through all your lessons, the cheaper it will be because you'll have to do less review if it's all still fresh in your mind. They told me they guys who only take a lesson or two a month are usually the ones that end up paying a lot more by the time it's all said and done with.

I highly recommend dropping by a flight school and talking to them directly.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have my license but I did take a novelty lesson and started looking into going all the way. The cost of the license largely depends on you. As a rule of thumb, the more quickly you go through all your lessons, the cheaper it will be because you'll have to do less review if it's all still fresh in your mind. They told me they guys who only take a lesson or two a month are usually the ones that end up paying a lot more by the time it's all said and done with.

I highly recommend dropping by a flight school and talking to them directly.

I agree, its a lot to wrap your head around and the sooner I think I can get it into practice the better.

I have an acquaintance that owns a flying company and has instructors. I'll take the flight with him but will do the ground school on my own. Cost isn't a concern with me. At my age if the wife doesn't like she can go live outside. :D

Top Bottom