Can someone clarify this...

SUPERDUTY

Reaction score
So I am out sledding this past weekend I over heard a discussion, it was about the $20 or $25 we pay to go sledding every time. What does this money go to? Is it a used fee for sledding in the back country or the clubs area? Or is it to pay the clubs fuel to maintain the trails and use of the cabins in there is any?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not confirmed but I think they buy beer, and don't share.

which area are you talking about?
usually pays for running groomer and other club expenses.

SUPERDUTY

Reaction score
The riding areas in BC . Can't wait to hear the responses.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
The riding areas in BC . Can't wait to hear the responses.

any one of the "attendants" should be able to speak to what their trail fee's go towards. I can assure you though it is not a profit making venture for the businesses/clubs.

To my understanding the money goes to:

-- Grooming Fuel/Maintenance
-- Cabin Maintenance
-- Heater Fuel for Cabins
-- Wages for Groomer Operators

Ever looked into how much diesel one of those groomers uses on a trip up & down the trail? you'll be quite surprised at how high it really is.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I am out sledding this past weekend I over heard a discussion, it was about the $20 or $25 we pay to go sledding every time. What does this money go to? Is it a used fee for sledding in the back country or the clubs area? Or is it to pay the clubs fuel to maintain the trails and use of the cabins in there is any?

Lets say theres 200 sleds pay to ride per day on the weekend and 50 per day the other 5 days. 650 sleds? More?? 16g/wk?? 25 weeks a year??? $400g is not that much $ to groom 4-5 nights/wk, pay lot attendants and groomer op, fuel and maintenance, purchase new equipment to replace aging stuff, build and maintain cabins, insurances, snow removal... I am only guessing numbers and have no experience or affiliation with the happenings of any club but I hope there is some profit to keep in the bank so when the **** hits the fan problems can be quickly resolved so we don't have to ride pounded trails and complain about it here. Is this what you meant? Cheers

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was told the old groomer in our area burns $250-300 of fuel to groom 20km of trail.
Season is typically dec-march which is 16 weeks.
There was 26 sleds collected from on boxing day.
Our operator does not get paid
Parts are pricey for groomers, 10,000 for a planetary drive....
The fees are for all expenses the clubs have

Thanks to all who pay the fees and those who volunteer to keep the trails and cabins in great shape. :beer:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Lets say theres 200 sleds pay to ride per day on the weekend and 50 per day the other 5 days. 650 sleds? More?? 16g/wk?? 25 weeks a year??? $400g is not that much $ to groom 4-5 nights/wk, pay lot attendants and groomer op, fuel and maintenance, purchase new equipment to replace aging stuff, build and maintain cabins, insurances, snow removal... I am only guessing numbers and have no experience or affiliation with the happenings of any club but I hope there is some profit to keep in the bank so when the **** hits the fan problems can be quickly resolved so we don't have to ride pounded trails and complain about it here. Is this what you meant? Cheers

We are thinking we just blew a motor or hopefully something less serious on the weekend on the SnowCat. We have a $15G maintenance reserve and that may not cover the expense of parts. Trail pass fees and memberships is where we get the main operating monies to run the grooming program and the cabins. Yes, there are some grants available, but the club can't count on grants as sometimes we get them and sometimes we don't. It is expensive operating a snowmobile club that grooms and maintains cabins. I can assure you, the clubs that are charging trail pass fees (whether they are $15 or up to $25) don't have surplus cash floating around.

Joel explained it quite well. Also, volunteers are becoming few and far between these days, so paid groomer operators and trail pass vendors are becoming the norm. It is an expensive sport on the organizational side and the riding side.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
We are thinking we just blew a motor or hopefully something less serious on the weekend on the SnowCat. We have a $15G maintenance reserve and that may not cover the expense of parts. Trail pass fees and memberships is where we get the main operating monies to run the grooming program and the cabins. Yes, there are some grants available, but the club can't count on grants as sometimes we get them and sometimes we don't. It is expensive operating a snowmobile club that grooms and maintains cabins. I can assure you, the clubs that are charging trail pass fees (whether they are $15 or up to $25) don't have surplus cash floating around.

Joel explained it quite well. Also, volunteers are becoming few and far between these days, so paid groomer operators and trail pass vendors are becoming the norm. It is an expensive sport on the organizational side and the riding side.

that sounds expensive Doug...... PM me if its got a CAT motor in it and I'll check pricing out for you.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Further to the above, we have our 22x36' cabin insured for $160,000. That is replacement cost. If the cabin burns down, it is about $25-$30,000 for demolition and the removal of debris. Our insurance bill for our assets is over $5000/year. It is expensive to operate in the back-country where it is difficult to get equipment and sometimes impossible.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trail pass fees are an insignificant cost compared to the overall expense of sledding. Groomers are expensive to purchase and maintain, trails need to be maintained in the off season, too. Even if it isn't groomed, I've no problem paying for the trail fee - clubs run on a minimal budget, and are the biggest voice in keeping these riding areas open. You have to pay to play, if you feel strongly that you shouldn't, perhaps it's time for a new pastime...

SUPERDUTY

Reaction score
So there no truth to the money going to the gov't for a user fee to use the land for our sport? I agree with the money going to the clubs to maintain the trails ,groomer etc.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So there no truth to the money going to the gov't for a user fee to use the land for our sport? I agree with the money going to the clubs to maintain the trails ,groomer etc.

The only money going to the government/ICBC will be the new Off Road Vehicle registration fee. So the new registration laws that are being implemented for quads and sleds will have all that money going to "government" and none coming back into the clubs or trails, or infrastructure. You are right about no money going to government for a user fee. The clubs that collect use the money themselves.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
beating-a-dead-horse-.jpg

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some gotta steal gas also, trail fees are a killer....

enjoy the nice trails down south, I can't imagine the crying some these people would do if they had to ride our non-groomed access trails....I would gladly pay for the comfort of a smooth ride out

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

enjoy the nice trails down south, I can't imagine the crying some these people would do if they had to ride our non-groomed access trails....I would gladly pay for the comfort of a smooth ride out

With our SnowCat down and no trail pass fees, we will see and listen to the whining. When the moguls get 2 feet deep they may appreciate a daily fee.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Exactly. If you hate paying go ride in the north for a few days. The whoops get old after about half a k. And then you still have 30 k to go. . .

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
or ... build your own farkin trail to the alpine ...

then bytch on here about how everyone is trashing your trails and whooping them out and tracking out your terrain ...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
or ... build your own farkin trail to the alpine ...

then bytch on here about how everyone is trashing your trails and whooping them out and tracking out your terrain ...
hey no idea where your going with this, may be wrong but i think the guy was asking where the money went. somewhat concerned the money went to the government, otherwise was good with money going to club! I could be wrong though, seemed like an honest question.

Top Bottom