can I run reg unleaded gas in my sumit 600ho

Sumit 600 HO

Reaction score
can I run reg unleaded gas in my summit 600ho and if its to low octane can i put octane booster in it all comments would be helpful

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Premium is best for your sled but the odd tank of regular won't hurt it. If you run regular all the time you will just decrease your overall engine life. :)

metalmulisha

Reaction score
ya i think so i have some buddys that are running reg and they have older sleds and they keep up to me :beer:

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i won't argue that premium is probably better, but....
in the book that came with my '07 summit 600 HO SDI, it says I should be using 'regular unleaded' fuel. it says the 800 should use premium, but not the 6. i've even got the spec page right here on my desk, lmk if you want a copy and i'll scan it in.
i've been running regluar in mie, runs great. i've run premium in it before for a couple tanks, i've never noticed any different other than my wallet gets lighter...

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think 87 is the octane for the 600HO stock. That's regular gas. The engine has been tuned to 87, if you run premium, it won't hurt it, but you may not get optimal performance, it's made to run with 87. I think you are supposed to run the octane the engine was designed to run with.

If you have done mods to bring the compression up, that would change things, then you would need higher octane. If you have done modes to bring it down, you would need lower octane (but who would do that).

The 800 has slightly higher compression, thus the need for higher octane. The higher the octane, the *lower* the flash point. That's why higher compression engines need higher octane, cause if it flashes too early it per-detonates and does engine damage and also result in a dramatic loss of power. On the other hand, if your octane is too high for your engine design (ie. premium in an engine designed for regular) you may not burn all the fuel, doesn't hurt the engine but it should result in a small performance drop. Plus it cost more for nothing.

When I fuel up, I gotta buy regular, premium and diesel. Fun. At least I can get 3 pumps going sometimes and fuel up in no time flat. :)

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can I run reg unleaded gas in my summit 600ho and if its to low octane can i put octane booster in it all comments would be helpful

You live in BC,buy marked premium,same price or cheaper than regular and higher octane,best of both worlds. The most important thing is to buy QUALITY gasoline,lots of the little independents have lower quality gas.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You live in BC,buy marked premium,same price or cheaper than regular and higher octane,best of both worlds. The most important thing is to buy QUALITY gasoline,lots of the little independents have lower quality gas.

Good point. I never buy safeway gas, domo gas, superstore gas etc. I always find it to be low grade. It think it's the brand name reject stuff and they get it at a discount. Seems to be lower quality for sure.

Top Bottom