can i put a lighter clutch on it???

Dan E

Reaction score
I bouht the ol lady a 97 summit 500. It runs great but with the 5000rpm clutch shes constanly burning belts. She doesnt have alot of riding experience but does good. Can i change the clutch out or shud i buy her something else a little easier to ride?

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bouht the ol lady a 97 summit 500. It runs great but with the 5000rpm clutch shes constanly burning belts. She doesnt have alot of riding experience but does good. Can i change the clutch out or shud i buy her something else a little easier to ride?

So you are saying the clutch is engaging at 5000rpm? I have not done much with clutches...............Im sure someone else will pipe in here and fill you in...............but I think it's a matter of changing springs, weights etc in the clutch to change the engagement rpm ..................

Another great site for "Ski-doo" advice is ski-doo snowmobile forums - DOOTalk.com the forums in there are great ...........

Cheers

GLen

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your wifes sled is engaging at 5g's then you need to replace the weights with heavier ones. For a tame rider and tame sled 3500 - 4000 is about right. If yur burning belts as much as you say I'm guessing you have more issues then engagement rmps. Clutch alignment?? A softer primary spring will also help out with reduceing the rpms at engagement.

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You probably can't change the weight in the pins because most of those came with hollow pins and that won't change the engagement. You will need to change the primary spring to a spring with alot lower start rate. Spings are only $30 or so and fairly easy to install but if you don't have a tool, don't try it yourself you might get smacked with the spring cup.:nono::d If you are anywhere close to Sylvan Lake I could do it for you at my shop, Extreme Machines, 403.748.2219. Dan

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if it is only reving out to 5000 rpm then there is something wrong for sure.

it should run about 7800. I had a couple of rotax 500's and never had a belt issue.

Top Bottom