Can-am outlander 650, good, bad ?????

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Might be getting one of these next year. Hubby just bought the 800 and other than the tranny clunk when you start going and the whining when it is in motion he really likes his machine.

Only mod will be new tires and only 1 " bigger than stock.

Any way lets hear the good, bad and ugly about this model. Will be getting brand new either a left over 2013 or a 2014.

Thanks for all the forthcoming wisdom and smart ass comments.:) No brand bashing allowed.:nono:

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride a 2010 Can AM Outlander Max 650 ---- Love the machine ----- No Problems so far at 2500km---- If at the S&M Jamboree come by Site 7 and you can take it for a ride ---

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a few people who own them, they seem to be a pretty good machine.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The nice thing about the 650 is it is a little tamer than its bigger brother. If you like the 800 than you might be disappointed but if power and stupidity is not your forte than it is just dandy.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
650 outlander is a great all around machine has enough low end Power and can still hit a 130 kph on the road
only bad thing on the can-ams were the chitty brake pads on the front ( not sure if the changed these to better ones yet )
Always buy aftermarket replacements

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah if you ride in any skeg replace the pads with EBC SV pads. the OEM ones last a week maybe. The OEMs are great on harpack or asphalt but not so good on anything dirty.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
yeah if you ride in any skeg replace the pads with EBC SV pads. the OEM ones last a week maybe. The OEMs are great on harpack or asphalt but not so good on anything dirty.

thats the same with most manufacturers factory brakes. I will always run the EBC Severe Duty pads in all our machines from now on out.

jamoanlee

Reaction score
I ride a 2011 650 Xt it been great for the past 2600 km. but skittle underpowered for my liking but I did come off of a outlander 800 with the works

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also ride an 07' 650 , only had to do a few things to it. Rad relocate, skid plates, lift, snorkel, tires, clutching, intake, exhaust, rebuild motor, voltage regulator, battery, brakes, u joints, axel seals and a few brake handles but that's only cause it tips over..... a lot ....
If I had to do er over again I'd get the XMR version, saves on mods down the road. I'm happy with mine though and experience taught me how to fix most things on it.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you put any spacers in? When you put a lift in the width is now narrower. I have 1.5 spacers all around and I do pretty good even with the baggage( wife on board) although if you break a cv on the front it does act real weird!

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Thanks for the info so far guys, we just got back from quadding in the Whitecourt area, thanks to Old Mountain Man for showing us around. Hubby's 800 XT did great, and he really likes it, but we are pretty easy on our machines(great for resale if they are not all beat up). We do the miles not the mud.

One question though, hubby's 800 has a touchy throttle( the 850 XP Poo-Poo did the same), I was not fond of it. Does the 650 do the same?

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info so far guys, we just got back from quadding in the Whitecourt area, thanks to Old Mountain Man for showing us around. Hubby's 800 XT did great, and he really likes it, but we are pretty easy on our machines(great for resale if they are not all beat up). We do the miles not the mud.

One question though, hubby's 800 has a touchy throttle( the 850 XP Poo-Poo did the same), I was not fond of it. Does the 650 do the same?
Nope it's smoother

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, its a great machine.... don't know what happened too the quality of the brake pads... I think brp most of had a bad batch for the G2's... I know the there were a few years that they had good brake pads.... my 2010 renegade now has EBC SVD pads now, but my original OEM pads I still have.... I put 3700 km on them before I changed over.. here is a pic of those pads with about 40% left on them... and im not sh*tin ya! I now have 4300k on my EBC's

Attachments

• sk shoes 3800km 001.jpg
    sk shoes 3800km 001.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If your hubby has a dalton clutch kit then yes it does tend to be jumpy, not many like riding mine for that reason especially when loading it on the sled deck. The 850 POPO is similar as well. but they were always jumpy. Mind you, Marks quad isn't jumpy---- much----- it will get you on the sled deck without a ramp!!!

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you put any spacers in? When you put a lift in the width is now narrower. I have 1.5 spacers all around and I do pretty good even with the baggage( wife on board) although if you break a cv on the front it does act real weird!
When I did the lift I also bought tires and wheels that were offset to accommodate. Only trouble is it doesn't fit in the back of my ford anymore (too wide)so it's either pull the trailer behind the ford or take the old dodge.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my '07 I just put 2 washers between the rim and the hub on each stud and my 27x9 'zillas fit fine. On the newer ones this isn't an issue as they moved the tie rod inside the rim.
To the OP, don't hesitate to buy a 650 Outty. Great machine.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Okay so hubby could not wait for me to buy a new machine next year,lol. Bought the last yellow 650 from Riverside on thursday. Better deal in price and warranty than what the 2014 will be. No pics don't have it yet but everyone knows what they look like.lol, Will be riding it for the August long weekend though.

Thanks for all the input guys. Appreciate it.

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay so hubby could not wait for me to buy a new machine next year,lol. Bought the last yellow 650 from Riverside on thursday. Better deal in price and warranty than what the 2014 will be. No pics don't have it yet but everyone knows what they look like.lol, Will be riding it for the August long weekend though.

Thanks for all the input guys. Appreciate it.

Let me know how you like the Outlander!

Top Bottom