Can Am No spark

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
My 2007 Renegade started no problem to load it, then the same to unload it. I started running it just in a small circle at the staging area and noticed it running strange. Almost like when your backing up without hitting the override button. Then it totally died. It just turns over thats it. Took a spark plug off and no spark, no tools to play with so I reloaded and will fix on weekend. So where do I start. There is a wire that goes to the coil that is on the side, I presume thats a ground, I'll first try grounding that and see what happens. My key is quite worn on the sides and who knows, maybe that is due for a new one or complete ignition. Let me know the signs and best ways to diagnose. Thanks.:d

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you try replacing the spark plugs? before doing any fiddling with wiring try that, you could just have a dud. if not yea maybe its new key time because thats what that sounds like. kinda like if you dont have the key on all the way on a sled

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Both spark plugs have no spark. I'll first start with my ground to the coil, then if that's grounded test the coil, then its to the ignition. Firstly I had my Can-Am manual packed somewhere and I need to find that for easy troubleshooting. I just thought to put it here to see first. Let you know the results.

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Replaced the Plugs, Replaced the coil, still no spark. The can-am manual says you cant really test a coil properly so replace and go from there. So I spent $186 on a new coil and nothing. So now I will check the wires right from the computer, if there is no power coming from them then looks like I may need a new computer. Then I'll need to find a wrecked quad being parted. That's a big ticket item. Guess I wont be going to the rally this weekend.

Top Bottom