Can-Am bushings and balljoints maintence

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I have a 07 renegade and it was getting a little loose in the front end and had quite a few rattles. Well, I took it apart and needed several parts. All the front end bushings, sleeves and bolts, ball joints, tie rod ends, Rear swing arm bearings. Let me tell you they were completely worn out. Even the rubber ends and the sleeves on the shocks are worn out right to the metal.

The other problem I am having was getting the parts. The ball joints are the same on all BRP quads. Well not one dealer even stocks them, and I am waiting for them and several other parts. Most of the dealers only order first thing in the morning but Gibbons Motor Toys was good there and make a few orders a day. They should have them for Wednesday afternoon. The other parts, bushings, sleeves and bolts I already ordered and received. I wish there was a grease nipple on the ball joints as they completely fell apart when I took the A arms off and there is no way to grease them. I should of greased the quad on the a arm bushings each time I got home from a ride.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
WoW And I thought I was hard on my chit :eek: I haven't had any problems with wearing stuff out like that before breaking it. I have had some troubles with the rear swing arm bushings and bearings siezing up on me though. Make sure the rubber end caps are in good condition. How many km's do you have on it now Ron?

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Km, I never looked before, just take it in for maintenance when it calls for it. And it was in every time. It was in at Riverside, then it got to hard to take in in there so started to go to Gibbons. Found them alot easier and more laid back. I have broken things on my quad too, an axle, CV joint. Mabie I should start driving it nicer :). Its one tough quad though, I cannot say I've ever been unhappy with it.

MoAb Racing

Reaction score
I grease mine after I do any kind of a mud ride. Atleast once a month. You will be shocked how much water and crude will come out of the A-arm bushings.

bengp1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i grease mine usually every couple of rides not as often if im not in the wet mucky stuff but you get the point its alot of a pain in the ba!!s to grease it than it is to replace all of it!! cheaper too :) i also have a renegade hae had a couple warranty issues but nothing that kept me from riding on a weekend you will get to meet me and my machine at the campout cant wait to meet all you guys and ride with you and see how my baby gade stacks up with the big guys and how i stack up with all you crazy riders lol

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It frustrates me that they don't put grease fittings on every joint. I have read about guys puting their own on by drilling and tapping, but who has the time? I haven't checked mine yet, but I will do so before my next ride.

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Put grease fittings on every joint. I have read about guys puting their own on by drilling and tapping, but who has the time?

Have you seen the top/center portion of the ball joint, its got a center point that is light metal, where would you drill and tap a fitting?

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never looked. I read a post in another forum a while back, but I think it was for a king quad. I would be scared to weaken it by drilling in without finding a spot to weld on a nut or something to give the depth. I will likely resord to just disassembling a couple times a year and greasing the crap out of it. Have you checked your steering post bushing? Those were bad on the king quad.

SQUIRTIS

Reaction score
Do u do the bairings too, or just where there is grease nipples..... I have 2850km on mine and the front bearings r starting to go.

MoAb Racing

Reaction score
wheel bearings are sealed cant grease them just replace them. There is 11 grease nipple ya need to hit. 8 for the A-Arms, 2 for the rear drive shaft and 1 for the front drive shaft.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A little loose,LOL! LMAO!
catmando!

Attachments

• P5090006.jpg
    P5090006.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 68
  • P5090005.jpg
    P5090005.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 62
  • P5080003.jpg
    P5080003.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 63
  • P5080004.jpg
    P5080004.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 67

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
11, eh. I think I have been missing some.....hmmmm, that's not good. I have been a little slow buying the service manual. Anyone come across a download for it?

MoAb Racing

Reaction score
just keep rolling the quad forward until the angle of the u-joint is open enuff to get the grease gun in.

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey my grease nozzle doesnt fit into where the zerk fitting is on the front drive shaft?

I had an issue with my nozzle being older and slightly warn to get a good fit onto the smaller zirks. I ended up buying a new nozzle for about 3 bucks at princess auto which did the trick.. If you find it's not making a good seal, you might need to do the same.

H2O

Reaction score
Catmando, I was wondering what was the reason for all the maintenance on all those pictures?
How many km or miles were on your quad for it to need this overhaul?
I want to be ready to do this when the time comes for me. I now have 1200km on my 08 800 outy.
What did you end up replacing?
Sorry for all the questions.

rene1

Reaction score
i am about to do my second go around with A-arm bushings on my 07 at 3600km's. i grease the snott out of them aswell!!!.

rene1

Reaction score
for anyone interested in a good tip for checking your bushings, lock the front brakes on, or get someone to hold the lever, then try to rotate the tire, you will see it move if it is going to!!. this puts a forward and backward twist on the a-arms and you can easily see which bushings need to be replaced by twisting in both directions.:beer:

Top Bottom