Camping in revy

Masterquadman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a toy hauler that I was thinking of taking out to Golden or Revy. I was wondering if anyone has ever pulled a heavy trailer (10,000 lbs) out to Revy. I have done it many times in the summer but, never in the winter. I have seen large sled trailers heading that way but, they are usually fairly lite from what I see. Wondered what the passes can be like towing a trailer through them. Do you need chains?
Also, is there anyone that has camped at the Smokey Bear Campground in the winter and can you ride from there.
Thanks

POWSHREDDER69

Reaction score
if you hit decent weather in the passes you will be fine but it's not that often when you get perfect weather. i would probably bring chains just in case you never know. last year we hit bad weather from banff to revy, took us 7 hours to get there pulling an enclosed trailer we were fortunate that they didn't shut the highways down.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if clayton has a spot available, you can camp and sled from the smokey bear. it's like a adult boy scouts camp:d. great atmosphere.:beer:

Muffet

Reaction score
Hubby has a 29 ft car hauler that he fills with 4 sleds, sits on 2/7500 lbs axles and has no problems going to either place :) He just said the loggin road to silent pass can be alittle hairy sometimes but other than that all is good

M7ZR6

Reaction score
I have pulled my toyhauler out to Golden from Alberta before. It was in April a couple of years ago and there were clear roads on the way out but it was full on winter driving conditions on the way home. We had got over a foot of snow in town and the temp was -10. My trailer is 40' and I pull it with a 1ton dually. We didn't have any issues with traction as there was lots of weight on the truck, but if I was to do it again I would throw in a set of chains just in case.

Captain-sno

Reaction score
Also, is there anyone that has camped at the Smokey Bear Campground in the winter and can you ride from there.
Thanks

The Smokey Bear is an awesome place to stay! They have trailers stay all winter, from other sledders and guys that work around the area. (Best call well in advance to make sure he has room) Depending on the time of year you are going, you can normally ride from there. Right now there is no snow on the ground in town or at the Smokey Bear as its 3-4 degrees and rain at that level. (awesome snow from about 5 km up on the kirkupp logging road) Also, there was a storm last summer that knocked a large amount of trees down and they are logging them out, so the trail on that side of Boulder cannot be used until the logging is complete. They are to be done somewhere around the 1st of December, but this has been extended twice already. The Smokey Bear (Clayton and Kathy) make you feel at home. Awesome home cooked breakfast and the best lunch sandwiches anywhere. Clayton just installed a new 10 person hottub as well.

Also, it should be noted that the local RCMP do not want you crossing the highway as apparently it is illegal. Lots of riders do, but at your own risk.

It is a great atmosphere as THREADKILLER said!!!:)

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just pulled my 26 travel trailer Calgary to Revy last weekend. It's fairly light @ 5000-5500lbs loaded and 6-900lbs hitch weight. I was pulling with a chev cc lb 2500 dmax with a deck and Apex on the deck. So about 1600lbs of weight on the box/hitch.

Going out roads were in bad shape from Quartz to past Rogers and I was in 4x4 most of the way to keep my speed at 80kph and spun wheels (sometimes 3 wheels) up the pass (compact fresh snow all the way).

Returning the roads were in much better shape, dirty sloppy wet, but still fresh snow right at the top of the pass that needed 4x4 to maintain 80. I was spinning wheels but I was also passing trucks, pedal matted.

If your willing to slow down it should not be a problem.

I would not try it without good chains in case you get into a bind. They can be put on to get to a safe place to wait it out if need be. I've never had to install them on the highway. I think they would get destroyed fairly quick if you had to run them any distance, especially on black ice. If you've got to run chains on the highway then you probably should not be towning a 10,000lb trailer (unless it's chained up as well).

I'm not planning on going to Revy with travel trailer Dec-Mar as the roads can be so bad but I camp crowsnest/fernie/kimberly all winter.

Should be doable just plan for the worst!

l8r Shawn

Masterquadman

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I will definitely try the closer areas first. I did purchase some chains for the truck and they were fairly cheap($130.00 / pr). It would be good to have the trailer chained up for the downhills, so that may be a purchase to think about in the future.

D

Top Bottom