Camper tie downs????

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a slide in box camper for my truck. I got the belly bars made, camper cleaned up, and all the fun stuff....Now I need to tie down the camper into the truck.

What do you guys use as Tie downs. My setup that I was going to use (till my uncle said it may not be enough), was 5/16 turn buckles, 4000lb tensile strength cable to each of the 4 corners, then chain connector links to attach everything. The biggest question is, are the 5/16 turn buckles enough. They are rated at 1500lbs

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a slide in box camper for my truck. I got the belly bars made, camper cleaned up, and all the fun stuff....Now I need to tie down the camper into the truck.

What do you guys use as Tie downs. My setup that I was going to use (till my uncle said it may not be enough), was 5/16 turn buckles, 4000lb tensile strength cable to each of the 4 corners, then chain connector links to attach everything. The biggest question is, are the 5/16 turn buckles enough. They are rated at 1500lbs
how many tie down points are you going to have? mine is mounted with the same on all 4 corners, I used chain to attach to the bars front and back with the same 5/16 turnbuckles.

campertiedown.jpg

pictures951Small.jpg

Last edited:

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how many tie down points are you going to have? mine is mounted with the same on all 4 corners, I used chain to attach to the bars front and back with the same 5/16 turnbuckles.

campertiedown.jpg

pictures951Small.jpg

I will have 4 tie downs. 2 in the front, 2 at the back. On the same rig as you got pretty much. 03 2500HD. Camper looks about the same size too.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will have 4 tie downs. 2 in the front, 2 at the back. On the same rig as you got pretty much. 03 2500HD. Camper looks about the same size too.
I think you will be fine, I've been using mine like this for over 3 years and haven't lost 'er yet.....been on a few trails where you can feel the camper swaying back and forth while going slow and everything held tight. good luck bro....

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you will be fine, I've been using mine like this for over 3 years and haven't lost 'er yet.....been on a few trails where you can feel the camper swaying back and forth while going slow and everything held tight. good luck bro....

Thanks,

Did you get the spring loaded turn buckles or just a normal one??? I have already bought the 5/16 normal ones, but am more than willing to upgrade.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks,

Did you get the spring loaded turn buckles or just a normal one??? I have already bought the 5/16 normal ones, but am more than willing to upgrade.
just the regular ones, I have used spring loaded loadbinders before while trucking, they seem too easy to spring and I could easily collapse the spring while tightening them. I am a fan of the snug fit.....:D

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just the regular ones, I have used spring loaded loadbinders before while trucking, they seem too easy to spring and I could easily collapse the spring while tightening them. I am a fan of the snug fit.....:D

Thanks teeroy...:beerchug:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is pretty cool, I like how quick it is as well as the stability. I wonder how secure it actually holds it to the truck, seeing as there is no tension pulling forward and backwards.

and it costs almost as much as I paid for my camper......lol.

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a bad setup...I may have to make something like that. But considering I have only $200 into my camper so far ($100 into turnbuckles, chains and bellybar) I can't justify buying that rig....

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should have no problems at all with all four corners secured with the turn buckles you are using. I've used the same set up on my truck / camper for over 12 years and have never had the thing move an inch. If you do happen to loose it off the truck then you probably just crashed :confused::confused: :D

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
It's bad enough getting a verbal beating by the wife in "Private" but on a "Public" forum....that's funny.

mrscouleeman, if you ever meet my wife please be kind enough to "not mention" this incident on the site...my life would be forever ruined...lol

Bet you look GREAT in those pants...Cheerz.

Yea, I signed her up to play games here, and made the mistake of showing her how to post....Won't make that mistake again.....:beerchug:

Bearman

Reaction score
I have had 3 campers in many years of RV ing and they have all been chained down with 3/8's chain and 3/8 turnbuckles, not much difference but just more material to work with. For the extra cost you gain some additional strength, reliability and peace of mind. I can't say for sure but I do not recall seeing 5/16 turnbuckles used on campers??
Bearman

Top Bottom