Calling all nytro guys

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big suspension problems here, new to me so I have no history. 40 z bros front with fox float 2s. Back is timber sled with floats. I'm snapping the rear shock shaft on the skid?
Shock at 150 in back hole suspension just collapses. Move it to the front hole and it holds my weight but after the days ride the shaft is bent, must be bottoming out or?
are my front shocks to long and transferring weight to the back or other? I'm lost her. Maybe the shock it's self is pooched.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check to see if it's binding on any linkage at full compression.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pull the rear skid and make sure all the cross shafts come out, clean and grease them....also the coupling device is hard to keep grease in it, make sure it moves freely and grease after every ride to push the moisture out of it....sounds like you have something siezed up

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have ice age rails with this setup? If so I have seen on an apex with a mountain tamer the float worked but this shock was upgraded to a zbros and in the one hole the suspension was to soft. When changed to the other hole the suspension would bind and not collapse at all the float was put back in and the suspension worked properly. We never inquired any further. Give timbersled a call I am sure they will help.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many coupling spacers on the bottom side of the rear arm slider? Maximum is 3/4". That's where I had it. Don't know what Devon did after that. I never had this problem with it, but I probably didn't ride it as hard as you might be. I've had a few of them, so I don't remember if I put upgraded shock shafts in that one. It's a pre-2010 kit. The first generation were prone to bending and breaking. The updated ones were a larger diameter. As mentioned, the guys at Timbersled are really good to deal with.

Tuning instructions here: http://www.timbersled.com/docs/18-TS-476 Nytro SE 153-162.pdf

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just checked one of my old pictures of that sled. I had 3/4" spacer in the bottom of the slide & 1/4" in the top with the shock shaft in the rear hole. Don't remember what pressure I was running but I never had bottoming problems, and I run probably +260# geared up. Have you checked your front skid shock pressure? My old M1000 Mountaintamer started sagging the rear when the front lost pressure once. Should be 80psi. Also, gotta do it with no weight on the shock.....so sled either suspended in the air or on it's side. I'm thinking you probably know that already though.

Last edited:

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everything is the same as I see it, I'm quite sure the shock is dead. Upgraded the shock shaft to stainless steel and it even bent um. It bottoms out with 150 lbs until I move the shock shaft up to the front hole and then god only knows what's going on, can't tell when I'm riding but I Think the shock is the problem here.
one thing that I'm looking at now is there is two holes in the drop bracket, doesn't look like anything has been mounted in the Top one but reading the mounting instructions it said do not place skid in the bottom hole on bracket?
it would change the angle somewhat and I'd like to try it but one of the holes is forward and on the opposite side it's on the back of the hanger...just won't line up? Something weird here.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just checked one of my old pictures of that sled. I had 3/4" spacer in the bottom of the slide & 1/4" in the top with the shock shaft in the rear hole. Don't remember what pressure I was running but I never had bottoming problems, and I run probably +260# geared up. Have you checked your front skid shock pressure? My old M1000 Mountaintamer started sagging the rear when the front lost pressure once. Should be 80psi. Also, gotta do it with no weight on the shock.....so sled either suspended in the air or on it's side. I'm thinking you probably know that already though.

Oh probity something simple here, these shocks do funny things they say so I've sent em off for a rebuild, ill re install and if it fixes it then we know. I'm about the same weight but set up like you had it I can grab the rear bumper and push it to the ground...not right so if it worked before then I'm putting my $$$ on the shock. Thanks for the help.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everything is the same as I see it, I'm quite sure the shock is dead. Upgraded the shock shaft to stainless steel and it even bent um. It bottoms out with 150 lbs until I move the shock shaft up to the front hole and then god only knows what's going on, can't tell when I'm riding but I Think the shock is the problem here.
one thing that I'm looking at now is there is two holes in the drop bracket, doesn't look like anything has been mounted in the Top one but reading the mounting instructions it said do not place skid in the bottom hole on bracket?
it would change the angle somewhat and I'd like to try it but one of the holes is forward and on the opposite side it's on the back of the hanger...just won't line up? Something weird here.

Was always in the bottom hole. But it's a CR tunnel, so the brackets are different than stock anyway. Did you catch my post about checking the front shock pressure?

nytro3r.jpg

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just picked up the rebuilt shocks and they said they were in bad shape. Little of this in with a little of that, leaks etc. did install and feels better but I'll have to road test and see...still looks like the shock dosent have much travel left when I lay across the back of the sled and look under it.
Only 3.5 inches of travel left when lifted off ground, that's travel left n the shock till bottoming. Me sitting on it maybe less.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, picked up on that. Will try this out tomorrow and we will see.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not great results at all. Same issues as before, I'll be calling chad (cr) and al (timbersled) to get to the bottom of this. All the geometry looks good as I measured it against another set up nytro.
Had the shocks rebuilt but not sure if there right...not much left to look at perhaps a new set of evols will do the trick.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm out of ideas. Sounds like it's set up the same as I had it and I had no problems with it other than my lack of talent. :dunno:

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm out of ideas. Sounds like it's set up the same as I had it and I had no problems with it other than my lack of talent. :dunno:
Pulled the shocks out and even after the reseal job there done...ordered new evols from timbersled. Should be here by Tuesday, sure that's it. After this fat guy on um the shocks decided to die.

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same trouble with my timbersled skid after revalving and new shocks I had as much money in it as a m10 and still had the same trouble over and over.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same trouble with my timbersled skid after revalving and new shocks I had as much money in it as a m10 and still had the same trouble over and over.
Not what I want to hear but thanks for the input.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If that's what caused it I probably contributed. :D

Lol...hoping a fresh set of upgrades do the trick, sounds like the floats are a tad light for the 200 lbs plus riders anyhow, well I'm going with that as my story moyie.

Top Bottom