Calgary

northstar23

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm from Ontario, but my son lives in calgary and am planning on visiting him this winter and doing some sledding this winter

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not nice snotty he said calgary!

WTF is not nice about my question?:confused:
I generally like to get a feel for a guys riding experience before I recommend somewhere.
If you are coming to Cowtown and want steep and deep , you can either head 2.75 hours WEST on the T-can and ride Golden[very large area] or continue on WEST to the World Famous REVY area another hour and a bit.
Or you can drive south 2 hrs and sled the crowsnest pass area....vast area, many groomed trails that lead you into the the upper elavations....in the right snow conditions the Pass/Castle area is extremely good. Or you can travel the #3 outta the Pass and drive another 30 minutes and sled B.C. ..Alexander Creek,Sheep basin,Goat Basin,Pipeline,Flathead,Elkford,Corbin,Fernie.......all great areas..with top shelf sledding. Some of these areas are high Alpine and you can visit the Angels when you climb the big chutes.Fernie , Corbin,and Elkford are a vast system of logging road too so you can road ride all day to some very pretty places...at a average of 5900 feet.
If snow conditions are right you can ride Cataract and Etherington about 1.25 from the city limits.....with good snow the Fording pass is super sledding and a maze of groomed trails.
Forget Mclean Creek the past years have not been good out there.....and yes it's the closet to Calgary...Go Figure.
If you come out have fun ...If you going steep and deep do all the right things to stay ALIVE.
When ya come out pm me here I'll give you the latest snow conditions.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
029-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

Crowsnest Pass
075.jpg

Sheep Basin
054.jpg

097.jpg

Cataract Creek
141.jpg

P1010196.jpg

145.jpg

Golden
006-1.jpg

Flathead Valley heading to Montana.
A few pics of the various areas....When you get out here like I said pm me and I'll give you directions and trail maps.....We have sledding areas for everyone here......from trail rider to steep pizz your pants rides!!

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snotty I love those photo's!!

Fernie/Pass area is where I love to ride the most (Flathead/Harvey area is AWESOME). I just have to say the pipeline bite's BIG time unless there is alot of new fresh snow. Except I guess it is quick access to alot of cool play areas. Nice thing about the drive to Fernie is the non mountain roads. It also, and this is just my opinion... it is not as crazy busy as Golden/Revy, way less sleds out means more powder for you!! ;) Where ever you head to have fun and sled safe :)

northstar23

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, being from Ontario we don't have same type of riding skills so steep and deep might not be my first ride out west, caution is always a good thing.There is a lot of extreme riding in Ontario, just the hills aren't that big.Can't wait to get out there.
What is the best time of year to ride in the Mountains

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's just folks aren't used to you being helpful Snotty.:d:d
1 more tourist tip when you come to Alberta...................visit the Biggest AZZ monument.....a wooden statue riddled with woodpecker holes...of Mitch....be sure to stop by the gift shop and pick up a jar of banana jam that MITCH harvests to offset the costs of wood filler.:d:d

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snotty I love those photo's!!

Fernie/Pass area is where I love to ride the most (Flathead/Harvey area is AWESOME). I just have to say the pipeline bite's BIG time unless there is alot of new fresh snow. Except I guess it is quick access to alot of cool play areas. Nice thing about the drive to Fernie is the non mountain roads. It also, and this is just my opinion... it is not as crazy busy as Golden/Revy, way less sleds out means more powder for you!! ;) Where ever you head to have fun and sled safe :)
1..thanks
2..yup my favorite too:d..Flathead/Castle is the MOSTEST..up and OVER:d
3..The pipeline takes you to some AWESOME places.....but yes the pipeline per say SUCKS.....Too many people...saw 12 sledders there one day last year:d
4..Yup the drive is MUCH better...I'am so old I drive the extra 20 min. and take the #2 to the #3.....twined all the way and more coffee stops.....the Chain Lakes road SUCKS sometimes.
5..AGREE....We sledded 4 weekends in the Castle / Flathead / Continenal Divide and never saw another track..:d.except for the staging area.Revy is the very best for after sledding fun.......but last year on top.. the Castle/Flathead snow was as good for 5 weeks.:d

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, being from Ontario we don't have same type of riding skills so steep and deep might not be my first ride out west, caution is always a good thing.There is a lot of extreme riding in Ontario, just the hills aren't that big.Can't wait to get out there.
What is the best time of year to ride in the Mountains
Anytime is a good time...Thats the beauty of living in Cowtown....if it Chinooks in Alberta it is usually dumping chit loads on the B.C. side at night......wake up to fresh pow..pow. So you always have good sledding within 2.5 hours..either south or west.
If you choose to come and want a tour guide call Mountain Memories in the CNP they are great peeps.
If you need rentals, guide, food and roof call Inn On The Border...ride from their lodge.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1 more tourist tip when you come to Alberta...................visit the Biggest AZZ monument.....a wooden statue riddled with woodpecker holes...of Mitch....be sure to stop by the gift shop and pick up a jar of banana jam that MITCH harvests to offset the costs of wood filler.:d:d

:rollinglaugh::rollinglaugh:You're such a retard:rollinglaugh::rollinglaugh:

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I live just west of Calgary, and for me the riding doesn't get any better than Mcbride, BC. A 5.5 hr drive and worth every second. I can ride a different area everyday and not see any other sledders except in town. Every now and then though I will day trip out to Golden for that quick fix.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:dBarrie,
I am originaly from Newmarket ONT. and trust me once you ride the WEST you will never pull over a sled in the EAST unless you like to ride strait on the hard pak. you will have a great time out here and most areas that have access to all the steep also include nice trail rides in and rolling hills and of course CHAMPAGNE powder is a tonne of fun in the flats, hills and steep.
Snotty will send ya in the right direction at the time as the conditions vary from area to area..
and if ya have any more questions just send a pm and I will try and help ya, hey maybe even come for a ride.

northstar23

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is your Son a member on the site too?

No my son is 12, his mother doesn't let him on the computer for fear of too much easy contact with dad:rant: So I only have him here in the summer, his eyes bugg out when he see the sleds.So I figure take the sleds to him this winter and we will all have a bit of fun:)

Top Bottom