Cadomin Quading

BigJim34

Reaction score
We are planning a camping trip to the cadomin area and wondering if anyone can recommend a spot to base camp and hit some good trails, planning to be down there for about 5 days and would like to hit a good variety of trails. We have done ruby Falls, Box Canyon and South Essex just hoping to find out about some new trails in the area we could try. Thought we would base camp around grave flats area or closer to cadmic around the Mcleod river.
Thanks in advance for your help

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
camp at the green bridge. From there you can hit Mackenzie Creek trail, starts about 5-10 minutes up road in Cadomin direction, watch on left side, if you cross train tracks you are on right one. You can also go across river west of camp area , there are trails.

Too Many Toys

Reaction score
Rubirose... have you ever followed the Mackenzie trail past the trappers cabin? I've been told that it will come out at the bridge at Mountain Park.

BigJim34

Reaction score
Thanks. Has the mining afected the trails in that area? Is there enough trails to keep us entertained for a 40-50 km ride each day for 4-5 days in that area?

Peacepipe

Reaction score
We were just there the weekend of June 20th scoping it out. We see a good 5-6 days of trails. We found all the trails so now we are packing the toys for July 5ish. Looks like the Blue Bridge is the place to camp tho. Seen lots of people camping both sides of road. Looks like a good area for sure, just gonna try each trail till gas is an issue. Mind you we have not done Ruby or Box yet.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The blue bridge is where exactly,I want to do ruby falls this summer and dont have time to go scope it out thanks.

mountainouty

Reaction score
We are going up there for August long weekend

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There seems to be some problem with the color of this bridge ????. some are calling it BLUE, and some GREEN. Attached is a JPGE/PIC from my Garmin MapSource Topo Canada V 4. and I list it as the GREEN BRIDGE.(see icon). N53.13998 W117.10429 at 1314 m

Bruce.

Attachments

• Cadomin 2014 2.jpg
    Cadomin 2014 2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 653
Last edited:

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive camped at the green bridge I thought the blue bridge was further up south of cadomin

Peacepipe

Reaction score
Back from 4 days of quading, good area. we just stayed in Cadomin no camping. But if you drive in from Hinton, preferred. you get to Cadomin. Turn left go about 1/2 hour and you will see the bridge. First bridge has some camping but not so much. Second Blue/green is the one you want. You will see ample places to camp. Bring firewood or a chainsaw. Awesome area for sure.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of room at Bembo,s old post Mill to, if anyone has the time/perseverance try and find and take the mystery lake trail have not been in a couple but that is quite the ride also IMO.

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rubirose... have you ever followed the Mackenzie trail past the trappers cabin? I've been told that it will come out at the bridge at Mountain Park.

Older topic but i can answer that question. Yes if u go past the trappers cabin and head through Mackenzie Pass it will take u out to a Bridge fairly close to where the Mountain Park town site was. Probably a 1/2 hr ride to Mountain Park from this bridge...BUT... There's a section u need to cross that is barely wide enough for a quad.... It's a very steep bank you DON'T Want to fall down into... It is barely wide enough for a 60 inch side-by-side. We have done it but it is very sketchy on a side-by-side. When you get past that point the trail is good again and it's a very scenic cool ride. When you get to the end of the trail the bridge will be there to your left. If you just stay right that will eventually take you right out to powerhouse Creek, right where the Mountainpark mine was many moons ago.
If you were to go left across that old wooden bridge back on the McKenzie trail it would take you out to a cutline I call the Redcap mainline. A game beautiful trail and beautiful country back in there and it's all set to be mined so you might as well get in there while you can.
There is one main old Road/trail that goes through that area over to the redcap mainline and there are a whole slew of trails off of that main one but they don't really go anywhere because they are just exploration trails where they were looking for the coal seems.

When you get to the next main cutline,(REDCAP main Line) you can turn left and go up to read Mountain which is a stunning view up there. Or if you go right it is very very muddy and slow going because of so much muskeg but you'll come out to another trail or you can just go straight down suicide hill but be very careful I had a friend that just about got killed there. If you take The trail to the right just at the top of suicide hill that will take you right out to the entrance of box Canyon Trail at the bottom of the cardinal divide. If you were to go left at suicide hill you will come out farther down the cardinal River Road closer to Ruby Falls Trail.

I know that area like the back of my hand so just name a trail and I know it. There's actually a few ways to get into Ruby Falls that are way more interesting and going in the traditional way but most people don't know about those trails. If you decide to go down suicide hill, you'll cross the Cardinal River Road and that trail if you stay straight will take you into Toma mountain but you were not allowed to ride all the way in there. On the way into Toma there's a trail on your left and that is one of the back ways into Ruby Falls but definitely a bunch of muddy sections and a few bridges need to be built back there.
Tons of nice riding back there.

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ff0b544a824232d68fba5841e5586250.jpg

This is up on RedCap mountain. There's one very steep climb so be carefull. After that it's smooth sailing. On top of the world up there!
There's another crazy steep long climb but there's a bypass around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha and we did it on trikes...drove right up the rock face at the steep section!!.. Last time i went we were on quads and we all winched up or walked our quads up the steep part... Lol funny because it's the trikes that normally don't do good on the hills.. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11moose

Reaction score
Hello we are planning a trip up in this area can you tell me where to turn south after mckenzie falls to get to the pass at cadomin mountain? Thanks.

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone been to cadomin recent? wondering how much or if there is any snow still there?

Any snow that was left will have melted by now. Next couple days it's above 20.
it's was mostly gone last weekend when i was there.

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello we are planning a trip up in this area can you tell me where to turn south after mckenzie falls to get to the pass at cadomin mountain? Thanks.[/QUOTE

after the falls i think u cross the creek a few times but follow the main trail. Last 3 times i've been up there was on sleds but it's one of the main well beaten trails. You'll come to a section that's a little side hilly and a bit dangerous. It's right at one of the creek crossings. Then u continue on and then there's the next sketchy dpot that i keep meaning to fix so it's not so dangerous. It's barely wide enough for a 55" wheel width.
I'll see if i can zoom in and throw a couple way points in showing everything.

Top Bottom