buying a used quad

Phazer Moon

Reaction score
I know nothing about these toys. I do own an '08 Yamaha Phazer, which I love to ride. Now, I want something to play with in the off season. I think I want a Polaris, as I've been told it has the best suspension. I'm not a mud flinger, although if the opportunity presented itself, I would have to try. The Phazer is a 600cc, so I think I want comparable power in the quad. What do I look for in a quad? If I look at used machines, what questions should I ask? Any info would greatly benefit me. Thanks.

oldernotwiser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for a Polaris the 500 is bulletproof. And you heard right about the ride. I know people with new 700 grizz's that prefer their old sportsman for ride and comfort. They will also go most places any others will go and they are not overpriced. Just my two cents.

Adrenaline junkey

Reaction score
I have a Polaris sportsman and two Polaris scramblers in the stable. I don't think you can go wrong with them always been great quads and have done everything asked of them. You will find the power just isn't there that your sled has. you might also look at the can am renegade.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I reccomend honda foreman...resale is high on them but they are bullet proof

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might think of going new, the people that are selling used are 99% out to lunch on the price. Very rare that you find a good deal on a used quad. That really bites me. I would not pay any more than book price for a quad.

Phazer Moon

Reaction score
Might think of going new, the people that are selling used are 99% out to lunch on the price. Very rare that you find a good deal on a used quad. That really bites me. I would not pay any more than book price for a quad.

How do I find out the book value of a 1995 Polaris Sportsman 400 quad?

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do I find out the book value of a 1995 Polaris Sportsman 400 quad?
Clean is $2700.00 average is $2125.00. My opinion what ever shape it is its $2000.00 for that year max. These are 4 X 4 prices.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya becareful what you shell out new 350-400 autos are from 5500.00 canadian, just got a used 500 pol 05 650 miles old guy since new has bells and whistles, i think its a around 5k, typical a good use 5oo is about the new price of a 350 -400 but it depends on what they guy wants for it, this one is consigned(no tax) and has winch/windshield/ hand warmers, box etc.
it is a bit higher than blue book but is very very very clean. - i could put it in my showroom

also got in a 400 scrambler, but dont know all the details..

Happy hunting
T

Qwadder

Reaction score
I know a guy who bought a used quad a couple of years ago. The quad looked like it had hardly been used. After a lot of costly repairs he found out it had spent a month at the bottom of a lake after going through the ice. Just a heads up, deals aren't always what they seem. be very wary when buying used power toys

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I know a guy who bought a used quad a couple of years ago. The quad looked like it had hardly been used. After a lot of costly repairs he found out it had spent a month at the bottom of a lake after going through the ice. Just a heads up, deals aren't always what they seem. be very wary when buying used power toys

I guess being at the bottom of a lake it would be clean! lol :beer::d:beer:

The trick to buying a used quad is have a budget in mind and cash ready. Research and research and find out what you want! Talk to people on this site and get opinions on different machines.
Have PATIENCE and don't buy the first thing you see! When you find one have it checked by a mechanic if your not sure what to look for.

Btw. if I had to buy one now the grizzly would win hands down! Good luck!

Good luck!

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a used kawasaki 700, last fall. It had 400km and 32 hrs on it, checked out flawlessly by mechanic and it was half price from a new one. Only thing I don't like is no FI.

Phazer Moon

Reaction score
I thank everyone who has replied to my post. I'm getting some good info and direction to be patient and ask questions. I saw 2 quads for sale along highway 5 heading into Saskatoon on Wednesday, and today heading out of Saskatoon, they are both gone. I saw a number of quads on sled decks, on trailers and in the back of trucks on the way to Medicine Hat and back again, this week. It seems people are really getting into this sport. Yes, I do travel SK and AB a lot; AND, I'm not a truck driver. There is an Off-Road show in Stoon this weekend that I think I'll go to. Again, thanks to all who posted. I'll keep tabs on this post, and keep doing research.

Phazer Moon

Reaction score
The Phazer I ride is an MTX; I'm a mountain rider who lives on the prairies. I started riding last year, 2007.when my daughter asked me to come sledding with them. I was having major problems with myself emotionally, physically; I was a mess. I could hardly walk. I rode a sled borrowed from my son-in-law. After 3 trips out, I knew I had to have my own. I was addicted to the sport. It took 30 years, at least, off my life. I felt great as long as I was sledding. This year I asked my daughter what she thought my response would be when she asked me to come sledding. She said she thought I would say, `no`. Little did she know I was looking for something wild and exciting. They let me know whenever they are planning a sled trip, and I decide if I can make it. Now, I need a summer sport. I own a Hackney pony that I drive, but I can`t drive him as long each day as I would like to drive. So, that is why I`m looking for a quad. I want to be able to use the quad on the prairies as well as in the mountains. Can I ride the same quad in both places. Does a quad require something different for mountain riding. Thanks.

compensated

Reaction score
just bought a 700 arctic cat used, runs awsome, i found that kijiji had a variety of deals on quads and it was a great place to compare prices. i definety reccomend viewing and testing a variety of used quads and find out what is right for you, i love my arctic cat, has great ground clearance 1ft and suspension travel 10inches

dlp

Reaction score
I've never riden with a polaris that hasn't broke down. Just my 2 cents but...Ask around a polaris will leave you in the bush!

Top Bottom