buying a used quad??? What to look for.

DCRZR

Reaction score
Well I have been out of the world of quads for a while now and me and a buddy of mine are getting back into it. Were both stuck on raptors (if you dont like them I dont care... I do)

Just wondering what all I should be looking for when looking at used quads?

ghglenn

Reaction score
Look for bent things, dings in a-arms, cracks on welds. Bent/dinged rotors. How worn is the sprockets/chain? Is the chain adjusted properly? Does the rear axle have any play from worn bearings/lots of mudding? Remove the seat, is the airbox clean at the bottom (Did they love their quad or just ride the piss out of it)?

These are all little things that abuse/neglect/lack of a certain level of maintenance, will stand out with out much effort in inspecting.

Might stand it on it's grab bar and look at the bottom of the frame for big hits, or cracks as well.

The Raptor is a great quad and are really reliable. If you go with a 2006 or newer, you get Fuel Injection, and a much better geometry to the previous years.

Happy Hunting

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are looking at liquid cooled check the rad very close for dirt...

Rear suspension bushing if independent.

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the visual condition can tell you lots, check for dents and heavy scratches in the frame, plastic condition, look to see if it has been rolled, just see if everything is straight is the big ones from me, top end rebuilds are not that big of deal, but if the outer has not been taken care of, pretty easy to assume the rest has not either.Oh yeah get the 700 not the 660, the fuel injection is nice.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have been out of the world of quads for a while now and me and a buddy of mine are getting back into it. Were both stuck on raptors (if you dont like them I dont care... I do)

Just wondering what all I should be looking for when looking at used quads?

if u buy from a dealer they can go through the unit in detail with you pointing out wear points and maintainance areas...keep in mind its probably gonna have a few things that are partially worn,. but still good, as we dont go through the bike and make it new again otherwise the resale cost will be up there.... we have about 5 sport atvs in stock, used, one is an 07 raptor 700 efi $ 5000 its on kijji and our web site... most 660 raptors are pretty good ,
but like previously stated..
check swing arm brgs.,
a arm bushings, chain and sprockets..
. tie rods, chk for bent rims,,,
brakes...check the air box. if its not clean,,,, be careful....that could cause engine problems if it was ignored,
check engine oil see if its clean or smells burnt.... listen to engine for rattle or knock..

usually a shop can do a quickie "trade in check" for about 50 bucks to tell y ou what condition the units in..

good luck,,,and get out and get dirty.....

Terry

DCRZR

Reaction score
if u buy from a dealer they can go through the unit in detail with you pointing out wear points and maintainance areas...keep in mind its probably gonna have a few things that are partially worn,. but still good, as we dont go through the bike and make it new again otherwise the resale cost will be up there.... we have about 5 sport atvs in stock, used, one is an 07 raptor 700 efi $ 5000 its on kijji and our web site... most 660 raptors are pretty good ,
but like previously stated..
check swing arm brgs.,
a arm bushings, chain and sprockets..
. tie rods, chk for bent rims,,,
brakes...check the air box. if its not clean,,,, be careful....that could cause engine problems if it was ignored,
check engine oil see if its clean or smells burnt.... listen to engine for rattle or knock..

usually a shop can do a quickie "trade in check" for about 50 bucks to tell y ou what condition the units in..

good luck,,,and get out and get dirty.....

Terry

I'm the one who sent in the 4500 cash offer ;)

Top Bottom