buying a can-am out of the states

dieselboy

Reaction score
hello my buddy wants to buy a renegade out of the states, short of phoning does anyone know the price difference? what it costs to get across the border? worth it? does the dealer in great falls allow canadians to buy ?

thanks

Black08Brute

Reaction score
I tried back in November. I called the dealer and they told me they couldn't sell to canadians or they would pull the dealership. So I work in the USA and I planned on giving them my US adress but after I bought it the title would have to be mailed to me and that takes three weeks so I scratched that and bought a Kawi Brute force 750 and saved $3500. Out the door for $7100 no taxes just had to pay G.S.T and the border and $205 for dept of trans. (RIV)Dealer was real cool and had all the paper work at the boarder way before we got there. Bombardier may have changed there polices by now.

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
welcome to the politics that is Can-Am. screwing over Canadians is just what they do. Can-Am essentially bullies the US dealers saying that they will pull their business if they sell to Canadians, because of the huge price difference and how much money they are sucking out of us up here.

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well I didn't haggle when I got mine cause I literally wouldn't be able to find one anywhere else, so I was just happy to get one!

The word right now is that there aren't any available, anywhere, until the 09's show up.. Even then, the lists for them are probably starting to build up right now. I got a 250 dollar store credit with mine, but thats probably the best you could ask for until stock is more reasonable.

dieselboy

Reaction score
hmm that kinda sucks, might have to wait for a used one, they are a little over priced if you askme but i guess everything else is too!! thanks for the help

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
welcome to the politics that is Can-Am. screwing over Canadians is just what they do. Can-Am essentially bullies the US dealers saying that they will pull their business if they sell to Canadians, because of the huge price difference and how much money they are sucking out of us up here.

Not really....Here's what is happening...
When the US $$ was strong, Americans were flooding into Canada to buy. American dealers demanded BRP do "something" so they did not lose their shirts...so, they told Canadian dealers not to sell to Americans.

Go ahead 10-15 years, and all of a sudden the tables are turned, and Canadian Dealers are losing customers to the US. So the Canadian Dealers demand that BRP do "something" to keep their customers from going south.

You don't see this on the other brands as they are all out of Japan....so they don't care if they sell in Canada or the US.

Still sucks for US!!!

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did you hear this? Because that wouldn't make much sense. You see when the US dollar was strong, the CDN pricing standard compensated for that by increasing prices that were proportional to the US/CDN dollar ratio. Usually 60 cents US per CDN dollar. As such most items of large value had a price increase of around 30% in Canada, which would discourage Americans from wanting to buy here because they weren't saving any money.

Fast forward to today, with our dollar on par with the states. Yet, for some reason Bombardier thinks it fair to keep CDN prices 30% higher than the states. That's just pure profit for them.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did you hear this? Because that wouldn't make much sense. You see when the US dollar was strong, the CDN pricing standard compensated for that by increasing prices that were proportional to the US/CDN dollar ratio. Usually 60 cents US per CDN dollar. As such most items of large value had a price increase of around 30% in Canada, which would discourage Americans from wanting to buy here because they weren't saving any money.

Fast forward to today, with our dollar on par with the states. Yet, for some reason Bombardier thinks it fair to keep CDN prices 30% higher than the states. That's just pure profit for them.

It's up to the customer to stop buying the overpriced stuff until they drop prices......why should they lower prices when there is a waiting list for their stuff, that's what the "free market" is all about, big demand-low supply, higher prices. If you don't like the prices....don't buy the stuff.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
It's up to the customer to stop buying the overpriced stuff until they drop prices......why should they lower prices when there is a waiting list for their stuff, that's what the "free market" is all about, big demand-low supply, higher prices. If you don't like the prices....don't buy the stuff.

What he said!!

smiley88

Reaction score
I recently bought a car (Subaru) out of the States before Subaru of America instituted the same policy; no selling to Canadians. The way around it now is to use a broker. I don't know how the whole process works however I'm assuming the dealer sells to the broker and the broker sells it to us. Costs about $600-$800 more plus the extra time but it can be worth it if you have the patience.

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
you can also just check with certain cdn dealers as they have U.S. machines. may be hard to find but if you do you can save yourself the headache of doing it and they will warranty it as well.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The cost of doing business ie taxes, wages, expenses are generaly 10 - 20% higher in Canada! and if the manufacturer drops their prices well their goes the value of all my toys! so if they cut 30% I would loose and so would everyone else in canada, we would all loose 30% of the value of what ever we own
just curious do ya still want them to lower the price?
the only winner is the guy with cash and no TOYS!!!
so far this year my CAN-am dropped aprox $3000 should of been $1000
my dirt about $1500 should have been $700
my sleds about $200 each well the one in the tree lost about $5000 but thats my fault. lol they should only depriciate about a $1000 each
my boat ahh luckily I bought when the dollar was right!:d

So dont worry BRP is not ripping you off, if ya want the best product pay the price its well worth IT!:beer:

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
who cares if the value of used product drops. If the value of new drops similar percentage wise you are money ahead.

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
who cares if the value of used product drops. If the value of new drops similar percentage wise you are money ahead.

but the price of new hasnt come down really. and if you paid $15000 for something 2 years ago and now everyone is gauging the value of it off used values from the states, then you lose big time.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
but the price of new hasnt come down really. and if you paid $15000 for something 2 years ago and now everyone is gauging the value of it off used values from the states, then you lose big time.

No dealers are basing trade ins off US used pricing.

Top Bottom