Buying a Camcorder

All4Traction

Reaction score
I'm sure someone on here has a good knowledge of camcorders that can help me out. I'm totally new to this but ive been doing my research.
This winter i'd like to do some video recording of some sledding and maybe get a small video together after the season is over.

Right now im in school so i shouldnt spend a lot of $ on a camcorder, but Im looking at spending not too much more than the $600 range. I know its a small budget, but i want to do enough research to find a good bang for the buck camera. Its obviously going to be used by me (an amateur), so an easy to use camera with basic manual adjustments would be good.

So far ive kind of narrowed myself down to a mini-dv with 3ccd, so itll most likely be a panasonic. What i want to know is what would be a reasonable price for one and where is the best place to get one? Are there any other suggestions for camcorders?

I picked minidv because its probly the cheapest most reliable type of recording out there, from the info that ive gathered.

Something with longer battery life would be really good, or atleast be able to buy a larger battery that can last more than a couple of hours.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last year I bought a JVC Everio...it comes with excellent movie making software...each time you turn on and video it is one video file...when making the movie you can cut and paste..add titles..music..very easy to use..I have a 3 hour battery I have never had fail out sledding. Every guy in our group ran the camera with no training required and our movies are really great..to donwload the videos on to your computer you simply connect and it downlaods and clears your camera up..hold 3 hrs of video and like 1000 pictures...

All4Traction

Reaction score
I read that before, but thanks :)

I think the 2 main features im stickin to is 3ccd and minidv

Now i dont think anyone makes camera's with 3ccd and minidv (except for professional cam's) it looks like i might have to go into a hard drive disk.

Is there anywhere that still sells minidv camera's? lol

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went with the Canon HV20 and I love it!! Here is a web-site that does reviews on camcorders, maybe it will help you out.

All4Traction

Reaction score
I was looking at the HV20, little pricier than the camera that i finally found
I went to a camera shop in lethbridge and found a panasonic nv-gs320. It has the 3ccd im lookin for and its in minidv. The price was $550 and i might be able to find one for cheaper since its on its way out and is gettin outdated.

So i finally found what i want in a camera, just gotta find out where to get it for the best price.

Only downside is that it has no mic. in, but not like id really use an external mic. anyways.

Anyone know a good place to get deals around leth.?

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check out Thriftway Drugs 13 street north and a bout 8th ave..best prices on everything camera, binocular,etc...if they have the one you like or not who knows..

Top Bottom