Business and Govt Don't Like Your Wages and Benefits

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An interesting read for sure and I'm sure the war of words will begin soon.
Canada is being flooded with workers from other countries recently,some
will I'm sure say"we need them"Just keep in mind the more that come in,the
lower our wages are gona go.There are crap loads of jobs around here that
are from 18-20$ an hour,most guy's dont want them and search for something
that pay's better.(Lets be honest,you cant buy a house and feed a family on $18 an hour)
So,even though the company is making huge profits,they dont wana raise any wages.
So,in comes the forign worker and takes the job.IMO if alot of companies werent only concerned
about record breaking profits,then we wouldnt be in this situation.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You do realize as unemployment and pensions go down so will taxes. As taxes and wages go down so will the price of goods and services. Basically what has been done is getting rid of inflation.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
........(Lets be honest,you cant buy a house and feed a family on $18 an hour)

Those are service jobs and were never intended to be the main bread and butter wage in a household. If you want a house and a family, get an education and get into a higher paying job......just saying!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those are service jobs and were never intended to be the main bread and butter wage in a household. If you want a house and a family, get an education and get into a higher paying job......just saying!
While I agree, not everyone can be a chief you need some indians too.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have an joureyman ticket as well as an engineering one,but that isnt enough
to make a decent living around where I live.IMO as profits go up so should wages
somewhat,but thats not how it works.The "working poor" class is gona grow and grow
in the near future IMO and the gov. aint gona do a thing about it.
You guy's carry on with this one,I'll try to keep my mouth shut.LOL

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
..The "working poor" class is gona grow and grow

You have an education and the rest is up to you. There are many factors to consider into a "decent living"! The big bucks don't start at the beginning of a career and I don't know if you fit the stereotype or not but a new house, new vehicles, new toys were not on the horizon for many years when I was starting out. It seems the younger generation wants everything right now and that didn't work for the ol' folks.

BTW, just what would you expect the government to doo about it? This should be between you and your employer and if you don't see eye to eye with the wages, it may be time to find a new job.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have an joureyman ticket as well as an engineering one,but that isnt enough
to make a decent living around where I live.IMO as profits go up so should wages
somewhat,but thats not how it works.The "working poor" class is gona grow and grow

With an engineering degree and a journeyman ticket either you must dont like work very much or your idea of a "decent living" is making 300k a year

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you even read the "article"? (I put quotes on that word because it really wasn't an article, but a plead by a union supporter to "please please please stop letting people get paid less to to do the simple jobs we've been overpaid to do for years"

Yer a smart guy (sounds like), but young (sounds like)...you WILL get ahead, but not overnight. Just because you have papers, doesn't mean much in the oil patch....experience is rewarded.

Nathansharkey

Reaction score
That "Made in China" tag on almost everything in your life is only the beginning!

The Tyee – Four Attacks on Workers by Harper Government

The way that the lazy have found a way through life as the loudest voice makes me sick. If only the silent majority stood up to these whining dead beats of society looking for a soap box to unite the laziness in all humanity. The world including your employer and the government owes you nothing. No free rides. What they should do is drug test all of the welfare and EI insurance recipients to ensure that our tax dollars don't go towards drugs for oxygen thieves. I wish we could trade hard working human beings from other countries that are dreaming to contribute to the society in our country for the low life druggies with their hands out. Unions are afraid that they have slowly become a noose around the working class's neck. They are a few years away from extinction. Canada should blame the unions for the major failures in our schools and hospitals and manufacturing industries. There is no reason that a person pushing a broom should be making 200k/ year. That's why the oilfield is so cyclical. You can guarantee that all those protesters in Quebec are of union descent.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The way that the lazy have found a way through life as the loudest voice makes me sick. If only the silent majority stood up to these whining dead beats of society looking for a soap box to unite the laziness in all humanity. The world including your employer and the government owes you nothing. No free rides. What they should do is drug test all of the welfare and EI insurance recipients to ensure that our tax dollars don't go towards drugs for oxygen thieves. I wish we could trade hard working human beings from other countries that are dreaming to contribute to the society in our country for the low life druggies with their hands out. Unions are afraid that they have slowly become a noose around the working class's neck. They are a few years away from extinction. Canada should blame the unions for the major failures in our schools and hospitals and manufacturing industries. There is no reason that a person pushing a broom should be making 200k/ year. That's why the oilfield is so cyclical. You can guarantee that all those protesters in Quebec are of union descent.

I like this, and have been on board with a similar mentality. When do we rise up? I'm ready and willing :)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Did you even read the "article"? (I put quotes on that word because it really wasn't an article, but a plead by a union supporter to "please please please stop letting people get paid less to to do the simple jobs we've been overpaid to do for years"

Yer a smart guy (sounds like), but young (sounds like)...you WILL get ahead, but not overnight. Just because you have papers, doesn't mean much in the oil patch....experience is rewarded.

Well said Dave!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

I agree.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What do you think the average wage is for a university grad? Lets all go back to school. LOL.

Last edited:

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The big bucks don't start at the beginning of a career and I don't know if you fit the stereotype or not but a new house, new vehicles, new toys were not on the horizon for many years when I was starting out. It seems the younger generation wants everything right now and that didn't work for the ol' folks.

Look at the "Show your Rig" thread on this forum for multiple examples of said people.... and they aren't all young either. It's the being better than the Jones's syndrome elevated by oilpatch wages. Mortgage, finance, and borrow your way to ensure you have to work until you drop dead and pass the debt on to your children...... But I could start a whole other thread about that, lol.

Very well said.

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It all sounds perfectly reaqsonable to me, especially considering the Canadian mentality and the fact that we only need the additional labor to get us through a boom. To me, it makes perfect sense to bring in foreign workers, pay them more than they're used to and send them back when we're done with them. The alternative is to encourage and subsidize Canadians into the needed trades only to pay them EI when the boom is over. Not only that, but the surplush of tradesmen when the boom ends is certain to drive wages way down. And, given what I've seen over the years, a surprisingly low percentage of those unemployed workers will have anything to show for the stupidly high wages they made for 5 or 6 years and will be unwilling to do whatever is necessary to support themselves, like take their old Timmy's jobs back. Even worse, many others who over extended themselves with debt, will lose their homes, toys etc. and drive the price of realstate into the ground (among other things).

It just seems in our best interest to bring 'em in, use 'em, and loose 'em. We win, the "man" wins, and the foreigners win (ideally anyway). Of course, I'm no expert, so that's just my opinion.

Top Bottom