bubbles in coolant reservoir

muddmadness

Reaction score
I've noticed lots of what looks like air bubbles coming into the coolant reservoir. When I shut it down a steady stream of fine bubbles come into iithe reservoir for about a minute or two. I looked at a 2013 and it did the same. Just checking this is normal?

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just had the same problem on my pro. Remove rad cap, is there built up pressure? If so, run eng with cap off, just off idle, but don't move sled. More bubbles? If so, it's a compression gasket under the head. Easy, cheap fix.
Pull coolant line off, pull head, change both o-rings around each cylinder, and main rectangular head gasket. Reassemble, torque to spec. Add coolant and good to go.. $35 gets you all needed gaskets.

muddmadness

Reaction score
Just had the same problem on my pro. Remove rad cap, is there built up pressure? If so, run eng with cap off, just off idle, but don't move sled. More bubbles? If so, it's a compression gasket under the head. Easy, cheap fix.
Pull coolant line off, pull head, change both o-rings around each cylinder, and main rectiangular head gasket. Reassemble, torque to spec. Add coolant and good to go.. $35 gets you all needed gaskets.

Should the machine e be warm? When we fired up that 2013 it did right from cold start. This many bubbles i thought for sure head ring was gone. What will the cap off test do or determine? Thanks for the help.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iets start with the basics. When you fill a new eng, or refill after draining, you are displacing the ait in the eng, lines, and cooler with coolant. There is a small screw, 8mm wrench will take it off on the coolant fitting on top of the head. Loosen it and unscrew it a few turns. If there is air in the system this is where you will bleed it. Some people say to lift the front end up, but I never needed to do it. Pushing down on the rear of the tunnel helpseng, even from cold with the cap off will allow the air to work its way out without pressuring up.
Sometimes it can be difficult to get all the air out at once. So a small amount of bubbles will be normal for a little while. But after an hr or so of running and its still bubbling, then startooking deeper. By running the eng, this allows the eng to create more air. If its getting into the coolant side, then it will show up as bigger bubbles.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No test strip.

It's called a block tester. Sits on the rad cap.

Has a colored fluid and when u squeeze the ball takes a air sample above the coolant. If it changes color it has hydrocarbons in it ( burnt-unburnt ) gases

sent from my htc

Top Bottom