Bruderhiem Warning: Almost cost me $172....

trx dean

Reaction score
Re: Bruderheim..

well me and my son were out there as well, hes 6 and well i'm a liitle older...lol. i was talking to the police as well, its closed for vehicles, so hide your vehicle in the bush and its okay, oh and if your tax payer well even better cause its crown land, we pay for it as well, so to all those idiots that do a hundred clicks down the road, consider this, there is KIDS out there too so slow down. you want to go that fast bike a road bike or go hit a track. this is good family riding and if i catch ya..... lets say it wont be nice.:nono::rant:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Hells Half Acre is still open. I was there again yesterday and there was quite a few people out there and no signs up telling people that it's closed. I think the fence is up around the pump jack and the road north of the pump jack blocked to keep people away from the pump jack probably because of the garbage that some people leave behind. I have been stopped several times this summer by peace officers out there and had my paperwork checked out and there was nothing said about it being closed. I'm sure i would have been told to leave if that was the case. If you ride there please take out what you take in.

X2
(If you ride anywhere)

ktmmer

Reaction score
I am a little confused. It seems there is conflicting reports if Bruderhiem is open for atv's or not. Does anyone know for sure as I was out there last week and would hate to pay any more "fun tax" to our government.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I am a little confused. It seems there is conflicting reports if Bruderhiem is open for atv's or not. Does anyone know for sure as I was out there last week and would hate to pay any more "fun tax" to our government.

This is the problem, and I had this discussion with the officer. there is conflicting information out there... hell I was almost fined $172 for just checking things out. and it wasn't just trucks being fined, riders were being fined $172 PER MOTORIZED VEHICLE quads and bikes included.

If the signs are still posted on RR205 north of TWR 562 they have every right to fine you for being in there... might depend on the officer but the one I spoke with was zero tolerance.

trx dean

Reaction score
its open, just dont park on the road and you will be fine, as long as your insured.:d just take it easy, theres a time to givr and a time to take it slow. believe me i like to tear her up too.:beer:

DingoNutz

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Lamont County: the response was definitely NO ATV ACTIVITY in their county. They're closed due to the fire reclamation work going on.

I also talked to Strathcona County RCMP minutes later, and they stated that their county IS OPEN TO ATV ACTIVITY. The dividing line is RR205. Stay to the West and you're in Strathcona, East of RR205 is Lamont.

He also made mention that they don't patrol Lamont County Side?
Interesting comment. Who's enforcing the Lamont County closure then?

A guy could just park in Strathcona side, and ride anyway I suppose?

FYI

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Lamont County: the response was definitely NO ATV ACTIVITY in their county. They're closed due to the fire reclamation work going on.

I also talked to Strathcona County RCMP minutes later, and they stated that their county IS OPEN TO ATV ACTIVITY. The dividing line is RR205. Stay to the West and you're in Strathcona, East of RR205 is Lamont.

He also made mention that they don't patrol Lamont County Side?
Interesting comment. Who's enforcing the Lamont County closure then?

A guy could just park in Strathcona side, and ride anyway I suppose?

FYI

could but thats usually how the chit show gets started. couple guys makin it a pain in the azzz for everybody else. if its closed stay the f*#@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!out. :rant::rant::realmad:..........just sayin

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There sure seems to be a lot of:confused: confusion about whats going on at the North Bruderheim Natural Area. 439.35 Ac. This being Crown/Public Land, once you leave it and travel to the West and to the South you will be in Strathcona County, and the riding of ATV/OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLES are prohibited, unless a permit is applied for and approved. Off-Highways Vehicles By-Law 53-93. Section 4 Operation Restictions, 4-1.( look it up.)
There does'nt seem to be any By-Laws for the Lamont County to the East.
If you ride on RR 205 or any other RR/TWP/ Highways you will likely get a Fine.
Some of the members on another forum have been out there within the last couple of days, and the R C M P out of Sherwood Park, have been out there on the trails with quads and are asking for their Operators Licences.:rolleyes:
as well as their Registration and Insurence, and yes they have that right, if you cross one of RR/TWP/Highways, The ALBERTA TRAFFIC SAFTEY ACT / OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE REGULATION, ( look it up.)
From what I have herd over the last six months I am sure that this area will be fully open again after they are finnished the reclamation work.:cool: Stay safe out there.:)

Bruce.

robbiewood

Reaction score
Hey,

Just thought I'd chime in and clear up a few "misconceptions" regarding Bruderheim and specifically the powers of the RCMP and fines.
(BTW I am a qualified Lawyer and spent ages reading the regs and powers regarding OHV)
Firstly the sandy area at Bruderheim is OPEN, I have been out there 5 or 6 times in the last two weeks, now some douche with 3 quads did warm me the RC's were about after getting $1000 of fines (He had no plates, insurance etc) but I have had no hassle whatsoever.
My toys are all legal, so there is jack they can do if they stop me.
Talking of which...if you are riding then YES they can fine you, however if your bike / quad / etc are in the back of your truck you ARE NOT commiting any offence therefore you CANNOT be fined ($172 per vehice...what a pile of bullch!t) I am SO SURE about this I will provide legal advice to anyone fined on a public highway or Crown Land with their OHV in the back of a truck..(If they can fine you there then they can stop you whilst driving anywhere and fine you??? not likely)
I have noticed a LOT of litter about, and it pisses me off, BUT do you really know what annoys the heck out of me? KIDS, please parents either teach you kids how to get out of first gear or make them aware that there are other riders who enjoy ripping in 5th on the rear wheel....I have rode since I could walk and have always been told to watch out for faster and better riders and keep out of the way, apparently this message isnt being passed on to todays kids...like I said all my kit is fully insured and I have something stupid like $25 million liability, but trust me that wont replace a kid who got in my way because they werent paying attention to other riders.
Parents...keep an eye on your kids, and keep them out of other riders way.

robbiewood

Reaction score

well me and my son were out there as well, hes 6 and well i'm a liitle older...lol. i was talking to the police as well, its closed for vehicles, so hide your vehicle in the bush and its okay, oh and if your tax payer well even better cause its crown land, we pay for it as well, so to all those idiots that do a hundred clicks down the road, consider this, there is KIDS out there too so slow down. you want to go that fast bike a road bike or go hit a track. this is good family riding and if i catch ya..... lets say it wont be nice.:nono::rant:

Have a read of my previous comment and maybe think about CONTROLLING kids and teaching them some basic manners such as LOOKING before they cross tracks in 1st etc. And as for the thinly veiled threat about "catching me" I would suggest you grow the fu@k up and learn some manners yourself or someone MAY teach you some if you "catch them" (for informations sake I DO NOT ride on the road EVER, but I do ride the trails as fast as possible, and yes I have rode for enough years and at a high enough level to be able to do so safely)

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Have a read of my previous comment and maybe think about CONTROLLING kids and teaching them some basic manners such as LOOKING before they cross tracks in 1st etc. And as for the thinly veiled threat about "catching me" I would suggest you grow the fu@k up and learn some manners yourself or someone MAY teach you some if you "catch them" (for informations sake I DO NOT ride on the road EVER, but I do ride the trails as fast as possible, and yes I have rode for enough years and at a high enough level to be able to do so safely)

Wow for having made a whole wopping 5 posts you sure know how to make friends. Must be a good Lawyer

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

you sound like a typical lawyer. just a douche who thinks his chit dont stink. you obviously cant ride properly if your worried about people pulling out in front of you. its a risk we all take. and you ride in a manner that if said incident should happen you have time to react and to stop or swerve safely. you are right however that an officer cannot fine you if your unit is in the back of your truck, i don't recall anyone saying that they could or threatened to, however if your vehicle is parked on an area that is closed to all traffic they can fine you for driving/parking said vehicle on that said property. nuff said i think..:rant: basicaslly if an area is closed stay out azzholes.:realmad:

robbiewood

Reaction score
Firstly I only decided to post because there was a lot of mis information around and I THOUGHT my personal experience out there MAY make it easier for other users.
I told the person who made threats to grow up, I dont think that is outrageous to ask an adult to not make silly childish threats, but as you say I am new to this site and maybe thats how things work here?

And as for "Magnet" I CAN in fact ride, and would be happy to come out for a rip with you at some point, the incident I am refering to was on the sand area just off the small rangeroad (264a?) there is a wide open strech towards the back that goes for a while and is harder packed than the rest it has great visibility and is wide enough to pass at least 3 quads side by side, I was on my dirtbike and opened her up, I was sat in a small wheelie in 5th when a small child on a small quad limped out of a bush trail on my right, rather than moving off the trail, or at least moving to the left they weaved from left to right seeming oblivious to me. As I said I am not too worried, I am 6'4 and weigh 220lbs, was wearing full protective kit and I am insured however a child wearing a "piss pot" lid and no protection maybe should be worried at the big red thing bearing down on them?
Obviously I didnt hit the child, but had it been a few seconds later they would have literally pulled out under my front wheel, and there was NO SIGN of the parents, anywhere. I am sorry you feel I cannot ride, I would suggest that whoever "owned" this child cant parent!!
And as for attacking my profession thats just juvenile, I joined this site to meet with likeminded adults who enjoyed riding off road, maybe I shoud reconsider that if this is the level of maturity here?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, here we have a lawyer who enjoys the outdoors and motorsports and is actively trying to help other riders. As we are faced with more and more closures and restrictions on our riding areas, it would be great to have someone like this around. I didn't think the comments were that bad, he expressed an opinion about the area and a concern about him not wanting to run over young kids, as always, peeps have different opinions. I think we are toeing the line on commenting about the person before we really know them. Remember its the internet and its hard to judge a person's comments, one mis-placed word can change the whole context of a post to someone who is reading it.

Can't we all just get along? :)

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Hey,

Just thought I'd chime in and clear up a few "misconceptions" regarding Bruderheim and specifically the powers of the RCMP and fines.
(BTW I am a qualified Lawyer and spent ages reading the regs and powers regarding OHV)
Firstly the sandy area at Bruderheim is OPEN, I have been out there 5 or 6 times in the last two weeks, now some douche with 3 quads did warm me the RC's were about after getting $1000 of fines (He had no plates, insurance etc) but I have had no hassle whatsoever.
My toys are all legal, so there is jack they can do if they stop me.
Talking of which...if you are riding then YES they can fine you, however if your bike / quad / etc are in the back of your truck you ARE NOT commiting any offence therefore you CANNOT be fined ($172 per vehice...what a pile of bullch!t) I am SO SURE about this I will provide legal advice to anyone fined on a public highway or Crown Land with their OHV in the back of a truck..(If they can fine you there then they can stop you whilst driving anywhere and fine you??? not likely)
I have noticed a LOT of litter about, and it pisses me off, BUT do you really know what annoys the heck out of me? KIDS, please parents either teach you kids how to get out of first gear or make them aware that there are other riders who enjoy ripping in 5th on the rear wheel....I have rode since I could walk and have always been told to watch out for faster and better riders and keep out of the way, apparently this message isnt being passed on to todays kids...like I said all my kit is fully insured and I have something stupid like $25 million liability, but trust me that wont replace a kid who got in my way because they werent paying attention to other riders.
Parents...keep an eye on your kids, and keep them out of other riders way.

Well I hope some of the folks fined read this and you can waste your time trying to defend them in a court of law. As per the pictures I originally posted "NO UNAUTHORIZED VEHICLES" it is a restricted area and they WERE handing out fines for EACH vehicle. maybe your as super a lawyer as you claim to be a rider and could donate your time getting people out of fines which they were given because they entered a clearly marked restricted area...like I said I talked my way out a fine but would have sucked it up and paid it had he chosen to write me up.

As for the riding balls to the walls on the trails and slower riders should beware.... seems to me those trails are no more yours than they are anybody elses and it's because of the riding style of people like you that the inlaws can no longer take the horses back in there... when I rode in there we ripped but we didn't rely on cat-like reflexes and spidey senses to keep safe we used spotters.......

closed circuit tracks are for racing, multi-use trails are for everyones enjoyment.....

Just sayin...

Edit: Oh and welcome to the site.................

Last edited:

robbiewood

Reaction score
Well I hope some of the folks fined read this and you can waste your time trying to defend them in a court of law. As per the pictures I originally posted "NO UNAUTHORIZED VEHICLES" it is a restricted area and they WERE handing out fines for EACH vehicle. maybe your as super a lawyer as you claim to be a rider and could donate your time getting people out of fines which they were given because they entered a clearly marked restricted area...like I said I talked my way out a fine but would have sucked it up and paid it had he chosen to write me up.

As for the riding balls to the walls on the trails and slower riders should beware.... seems to me those trails are no more yours than they are anybody elses and it's because of the riding style of people like you that the inlaws can no longer take the horses back in there... when I rode in there we ripped but we didn't rely on cat-like reflexes and spidey senses to keep safe we used spotters.......

closed circuit tracks are for racing, multi-use trails are for everyones enjoyment.....

Just sayin...

Edit: Oh and welcome to the site.................

Thanks for the heartfelt and warm welcome, I am sure they did hand out fines for vehicles WITH THE WHEELS TOUCHING THE GROUND so as I said IF your OHV were in a truck bed then legally they cannot fine you for carrying something, to so so they would have to prove intent to use and believe me thats a bitch of a time and one the Police wouldnt waste time with.
I never said I was a "super rider" or "super lawyer" I mearly said I have enough education to be able to read statutes and understand what (despite what the RC's may say) is legal to do and what's not, I offered to assist others who maybe don't have the specific knowledge I have in having fines dismissed after they have been handed out illegally. You know what, keep paying the fines, keep letting the Police push you around (its no worry to me) and I will keep riding in areas I have a LEGAL RIGHT to ride in and challenge tickets given to me (at the moment I have 100% record on personal traffic tickets given to me)

I dont wish to argue with you anymore, have fun, ride safe, and learn the difference between 'your" and "you're" especially when trying to argue a fairly "academic" subject matter such as this one, if you can't use basic grammer and the correct spelling of a word then maybe people could question the veracity of what you are claiming???
Again many thanks for the welcome

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is this the pissing contest thread???????????? wait, sorry, wrong spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom