BRP Recall Clearance Letter

helpimalive

Reaction score
I'm trying to import a sled from the states. Didn't know that the recall clearance letter would cost me $500 (for the dealer to hit a few key strokes). I guess it's 1000 for a new sled. Would anyone actually happen to have a recall letter so that I could see what its like? Or Know of a way of doing this without paying the 500$?

thanks

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'd suggest you shop around had one done 2 yrs ago $200. calgary dealer didn't want to help out at all. few key strokes from dealer, but the manufacturer is the stroke holder. yes you will need it to get registered. you have the compliance sticker or do you need that clearance also.
best advice don't buy sled unless all paperwork is in place.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats BS man tell the dealer to go Fawk themselves we import vehicles new and used from the states on a weekly basis and call down all the time to dealers down there give them the VIN #'s and within about 10 minutes they fax us off recall letters i'd go raise some chit with the pylon's that charged you $500

tchom983

Reaction score
i dunno if i lucked out with mine, but i called the original dealer it was bought from, and got them to print out the service history report for like 10$. at the border i showed them that report and it was good enough for them. ps make sure you fill out all the paper work and fax it atleast 3 days before your planning on passing through the border with the sled. make sure you got all the stickers on it that are required too. dont wanna import a sled that wont pass inspection here. i got alot of info from Registrar of Imported Vehicles. hope this helps.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats BS man tell the dealer to go Fawk themselves we import vehicles new and used from the states on a weekly basis and call down all the time to dealers down there give them the VIN #'s and within about 10 minutes they fax us off recall letters i'd go raise some chit with the pylon's that charged you $500

I doubt BRP is really willing to do it cheap, they don't seem to want people bringing machines back. Something about a 4k difference in price for a canadian made product.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get your clearance letter from a US dealer not a Canadian. Done it many times and never had to pay a cent. Dealer who sold it new is the most cooperative ;)

helpimalive

Reaction score
I've called around to a few places. They all seem to charge 500$. I know that there are no recalls done on the sled as one dealer inputed my vin into boss wep or whatever it is and could tell that there were no recalls done.

@tchom983

Was your sled a BRP? Also have you registered your sled here? I have already brought my sled across the border. It is only trying to register it with the RIV that I need a Recall Letter. From what I understand it is only brp that this is with.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes you need it, you need to register vehicle and without plate you can be confiscated, also the gov can have you destroy your sled if you don't comply in 45 days. probably won't though. brp makes you go through a few hoops.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of my well to do friends got a custom-made fun hauler built for him in Chicago a few years ago for motocross racing, it ended up costing him $ 90 000 U.S by the time it was fininshed. Paul, or "Spodey" as we call him, did not do his homework, turns out that his brand new funhauler is not admissable in Canada, it sat a sweet grass for a bit as he was denied at the border, he eventually bought a place in Cali and just keeps it there and runs Cali plates on it, his good deal ended up not being such a good deal after all.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when i brought my truck across a few months ago i had the seller get the clearance letter for me. they want to sel you the sled they should be the ones proving that to you. its a requirement to get it into canada, and i think its whoever is selling it's responsibility to get it to you, just like the Title!!

but ditto as said above, have your paperwork ready and its a breeze. what took me longest was finding a place to park to enter the us side for a piece of paper lol

tchom983

Reaction score
oh sorry. i was under the impression that it was still in the states. they werent letting us into canada without this service history report. this specific time im referring to was with a polaris but its been done with other brands as well. i licensed my sled in sask so maybe the process and required docs is different. We just had to get it safetied (within 30 days at a specified location) and then get it inspected again at the issuing insurance/registrar agency. like i said though the service history report was good enough for us. its just a print out from the dealership it was bought and serviced at, of all the service including recall work done on the sled. im sorry if this is no help at all. sask does everything a little weird.

I doubt BRP is really willing to do it cheap, they don't seem to want people bringing machines back. Something about a 4k difference in price for a canadian made product.

if there is no way around it you gotta think that your saving a bunch of $$ buying down there, brp is gunna try and get their money somehow. seems weird though that brp is in Canada, and it costs less to get a sled that was shipped to the states, and then brought back into canada again. maybe im off my rocker, but this seems backwards to me. :confused:

maxpower

Reaction score
I have imported a lot of things from the states and the RIV program isn't as complicated as people think. Most of the time the RIV agents can lookup recalls on the equipment you import by the VIN number, this works for trailers, RV's and cars, i don't see why they couldn't do it for a sled. I imported a new car and had the dealer print out the history of it(with the VIN on the paper), slap a dealer stamp on it and the salesperson sign the paper stating that "This vehicle has no outstanding recalls" and thats all the RIV wanted. I wouldn't pay anybody anything to get the recall clearance letter.

Call RIV and ask them if they can look it up without the clearance letter. I haven't needed a letter at all for some RV's and trailers

Craven

Reaction score
My experience is that the selling US dealer provided a signed letter on company letterhead stating that there are no outstanding recalls from BRP. There was no charge. The only time that BRP is involved directly is a private sale in which case BRP has to provide the letter. I have had no issues.

WT

Last edited:

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't need a recall letter. All you need is a service history printout for the sled from any dealer.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you look right at the top of that.. it states in red lettering.. THIS IS NOT A WARRANTY CLEARANCE LETTER.

the reason behind that. is that the canadian dealers can charge that. for the time to do the paper work. the loss of a sale.

i know if somone called me askeing for a clearance letter and for a sled they got from the dealer down in the US. id tell them to pound said..

its awesome we are supporting our local dealers here. sorry for who this will make mad. but really. support ur local dealer. because if you dont he may not be aroudn next time.. or that one time u need to get going and he has what u need on that sled right in front of you. then he may just think twice about takign it off.

just my .02c

all in all SUPPORT YOU LOCAL DEALERS.

p.s. Bow Ridge Sports, Bow Cycle North and South, Banner Rec in kelowna, Kelowna Yamaha. i can keep going.. just to name a few good dealers around that im willing to bet. wont do it

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you look right at the top of that.. it states in red lettering.. THIS IS NOT A WARRANTY CLEARANCE LETTER.

the reason behind that. is that the canadian dealers can charge that. for the time to do the paper work. the loss of a sale.

i know if somone called me askeing for a clearance letter and for a sled they got from the dealer down in the US. id tell them to pound said..

its awesome we are supporting our local dealers here. sorry for who this will make mad. but really. support ur local dealer. because if you dont he may not be aroudn next time.. or that one time u need to get going and he has what u need on that sled right in front of you. then he may just think twice about takign it off.

just my .02c

p.s. Bow Ridge Sports, Bow Cycle North and South, Banner Rec in kelowna, Kelowna Yamaha. i can keep going.. just to name a few good dealers around that im willing to bet. wont do it

Thanks for the plug Drew, "I know what you got for Christmas too."
If your in town this week drop by, were having a garage party for lunch, Jogger's BBQ-n. You missed Chili dogs on Tuesday...

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the plug Drew, "I know what you got for Christmas too."
If your in town this week drop by, were having a garage party for lunch, Jogger's BBQ-n. You missed Chili dogs on Tuesday...

i know what i got for Christmas too. lol i sent her there for them.

im back sometime this week dono when exactly. ill keep you informend.

and ya no worries. that stuff makes me mad.. buy from the states and think a dealer here will go out of his way. doute it

helpimalive

Reaction score
Alright. I got it sorted. All I did was called a u.s. dealer (the one who originally sold my sled, though any dealer could do this). Got the service history (from wep boss) printed out and faxed to me. Which i then emailed to the RIV. Today they got back to me with the inspection form so now I'm good to go. The thing that threw me for a loop was on the service history it said "this document should not be considered a recall clearance letter".

Thanks everyone for your input, I'm glad I saved the $500.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get your clearance letter from a US dealer not a Canadian. Done it many times and never had to pay a cent. Dealer who sold it new is the most cooperative ;)

X2 I have brought back 1/2 dozen sleds and always got my recall letters from the original dealer in the states and never charge me anything either. The letter just says that all recall have been completed and it needs to be on a dealer letterhead. Good luck

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

just my .02c

All true if all dealers were created equal! I will never buy new from our Red Deer BRP source....EVER!

I talked my brother into buying his 08 XP from here for the warranty along! Well the money we spent fixing chit that they said not their problem, rear sag,shocks,handel bar heaters, clutch mess,etc...should have bought US. So hard to support local when they just shrug their shoulders and tell me tp pound sand!

Top Bottom