Broken frame on 2013 (2000 km) Can-Am Outlander 400 Max XT

St-Jean

Reaction score
Hi. It's my first forum and I would have liked it to be on different circumstances! I have a 2013 Can-Am Outlander Max XT (400cc) and the frame broke just where the pivot for the rear suspension arm attached to the frame. It's the right side one. The quad have 2063km of dry and easy rated trails. My wife and me totalling 360 pounds together.
The dealership got me a new frame from the factory (1500$ value) but BRP is making me pay for the 25 hrs of labor!!! Following this, there is also a U-joint that will have to be replace and that would be related to this issue at my expanse! The quad is out of warranty for about 11 months now, but the mileage is so low that I think BRP should do more in respect of there product and customers. I have a "file" open at BRP.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the newer 400 still have the gen 1 frame (single spar rectangle bottom tube ) on our 07 we did the steel pipe mod to strengthen the frame as it was getting dented a buddy broke his frame on a 400 where the aluminum floor board braces attached from hitting a log
If you have the gen 1 frame do a search on can-am frame mod

St-Jean

Reaction score
Does the newer 400 still have the gen 1 frame (single spar rectangle bottom tube ) on our 07 we did the steel pipe mod to strengthen the frame as it was getting dented a buddy broke his frame on a 400 where the aluminum floor board braces attached from hitting a log
If you have the gen 1 frame do a search on can-am frame mod

It seems to be the same frame. Thanks for the infos but my trust towards BRP products is compromised! Why in the hell things are breaking on the frame side. In good ingineering, the lesser part breaks, not the "big" one!!! I can't believe I would have to reinforce a frame that as 2000km. We're not in the 70's anymore...

nippy54

Reaction score
3 month old post, but felt I maybe had something to add to this. Our 400 broke at the same point. Driving conditions were much like yours -- nice 'n easy trails. Sad thing is, ours was a 2004. 10 years difference and the same thing is still happening. For us, when this was brought up to the dealership, they also opened a file and about a month later we got the edict - this was caused by "abuse" - end of story. We were going to take this to the courts but thought better of it. We could have fought this, thrown a lot of money into it, but with no guarantee of any kind of a positive result. Instead, had a local machinist/welder look at it & he said it was quite fixable. Ended up welding the cracks, then welded 1/4" steel plate the length of the bottom of the frame with added gussets along a number of possible stress points & also drilled a few holes to accomodate skid plate attachments. This added about 30 lbs of extra weight which meant doing some home-made alterations to the non-adjustable front suspension. The fun part was having to remove the engine and diffs in order to be able to do a good weld job with no encumbrances. I ended up removing all the plastics, gas tank, draining coolant, disconnecting (and securing) all electricals & fluid pipes to the engine & difs, and because I didn't have the tools for that, I then had the dealership remove the entire drivetrain and had them cart the remaining carcass of my quad to the machinist shop which was conveniently next door. Once the welding was done and the engine & diffs were bolted back in, it pretty much took a full day, nonstop, to put the rest back together. To my surprise, it worked. Total cost: $900 & change: $400 for welding & 500 to the dealer. Kept it for another 5 years with no more frame issues, and I kept a close eye on it to make sure.

Now have a 2013 Outlander Max. Finally learned my lesson on this one with power steering, water pump, grip heater, and output seal failures in under 1200 km, glad I paid the extra $450 for an extension to the so-called "BEST" warranty, looks like I'm going to need it. My next ATV will NOT be a Can Am. It would just be so silly to do that again....

Last edited:
Top Bottom