broken down 1000rt

Edge Welding

Reaction score
I have a 2005 summit 1000rt has ran good 4 me 4 the last 1800miles one day in the mountains it started acting up what it does is bogs out almost like it is running on 1 cylinder but its not it starts over fueling will only rev to 1000 rpm brake light and head light flicker and back fires if u hold the throttle. When i first start it it runs fine 4 about 1 second then acsts up. It doesnt seem to matter what kind of conditions i am riding in when this problem occurs, sometimes i can put on 35miles and it wont act up then the next time i put on 10miles and it happens 3 times. the last time i rode it happened 10 miles into the ride then would not fix it self like it has in the past. usually i sit for 5-10min restart sled and a way i go. I switched around the relays in the fuse box and then it started and ran on one cylinder switched the relays back to original position and now it wont start. I bought new relays and still no luck any suggestions?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i have a 2005 summit 1000rt has ran good 4 me 4 the last 1800miles one day in the mountains it started acting up what it does is bogs out almost like it is running on 1 cylinder but its not it starts over fueling will only rev to 1000 rpm brake light and head light flicker and back fires if u hold the throttle. When i first start it it runs fine 4 about 1 second then acsts up. It doesnt seem to matter what kind of conditions i am riding in when this problem occurs, sometimes i can put on 35miles and it wont act up then the next time i put on 10miles and it happens 3 times. The last time i rode it happened 10 miles into the ride then would not fix it self like it has in the past. Usually i sit for 5-10min restart sled and a way i go. I switched around the relays in the fuse box and then it started and ran on one cylinder switched the relays back to original position and now it wont start. I bought new relays and still no luck any suggestions?

how strong is your battery, as a weak battery will cause all the above too... Did you replace all the relays?..... Did you check the computer plugin connections?

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Besides the simple things like installing new plugs , it sounds alot like your module is gone.

mtnluvr

Reaction score
Had an 05 1000 only problems I had other than catastrophic failure was fuel pump and low battery, both caused symptoms similar to what you are explaining. Coincidentally the thing blew up with 1800 miles.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 summit 1000rt has ran good 4 me 4 the last 1800miles one day in the mountains it started acting up what it does is bogs out almost like it is running on 1 cylinder but its not it starts over fueling will only rev to 1000 rpm brake light and head light flicker and back fires if u hold the throttle. When i first start it it runs fine 4 about 1 second then acsts up. It doesnt seem to matter what kind of conditions i am riding in when this problem occurs, sometimes i can put on 35miles and it wont act up then the next time i put on 10miles and it happens 3 times. the last time i rode it happened 10 miles into the ride then would not fix it self like it has in the past. usually i sit for 5-10min restart sled and a way i go. I switched around the relays in the fuse box and then it started and ran on one cylinder switched the relays back to original position and now it wont start. I bought new relays and still no luck any suggestions?

Going to throw this out there because of the miles on your machine. Last trip we took out the engine on my old mans RT1000. Pulled the head off when we were there and found right side piston was detonated. We had been having problems fouling plugs on that side. Turns out that the crank bearing was seized as they tend to wear out overtime as there not oiled bearings due to emmissions on these newer machines. Appears that as it was failing was allowed to suck in air and create heat. This info is from a HD mechanic who has rebuilt many of these bottom ends with an oiling system to prevent this in the future. Also reason these machines don't use that much oil. Thinkin his machine probably had 2600miles or so.

powderpusher

Reaction score
i have a summit 670 that was doing the same thing it turned out to be a switch that is on the throttle assembly replaced the throttle assembly now it works fine,try following the wires down from your throttle to plug in on harness under hood ,unplug it and then plug it back in it may have a bad connection

Edge Welding

Reaction score
how strong is your battery, as a weak battery will cause all the above too... Did you replace all the relays?..... Did you check the computer plugin connections?

I just changed the battery at the begining of this season,even if i hook the battery charger to it the problem still occurs. I did change the relays and still the same. I will have 2 check the plug in thanks 4 the advice.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i did change the plugs. Which module would that b?

check the big connector to the main computer, and check for any corrosion, and maybe put a little di-electric grease in the connection...... Also check the main engine ground strap at the front of the engine below the y-manifold..... Make sure the strap isn't broken and that both bolts are tight(one to engine other to frame).

Reaction score

check relys in the fuse box

powderpusher

Reaction score
Still having problems with the 1000 rt ,check on your throttle ,hold it wide open and look and see if if it has a plastic pin button on the throttle assembly,if it has the throttle switch follow the wires down handle bars to find the plug unplug it start the sled and see if it seems to run the same then shut sled down reconnect plug restart sled seeif it runs the same ,as on my summit it ran the way you are explaining yours does and the switch on the throttle was nfg,would idle but was i pushed on the throttle it would have no power ,back fire and miss had to change out throttle assembly now it goes like snot skis in the air steady,it seems like the throttle switch retards the timing and puts the sled in limp mode when it acts up hope this helps

Top Bottom