Breaking in a new sled??

russhayes83

Reaction score
Getting a new sled ( Assault ) first new sled i have owned. Wondering how long and what I should be doing to break it in ?? And same with maintenance should i be changing oil right away ?? or anything else in that matter??

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take it easy for the first 30 - 50 miles. The belt needs to be worked in. The Assualt is a two stroke, therefore you will not have to change the oil, just top it up. You are very lucky to purchase an Assualt, I believe that it is the best sled ever built by polaris! Good Luck with it!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Breakin...thats like a trick question...manufacture like Ski-Doo put a chip in so yu have to keep the RPM's down until you hit a certain hour marker and other manufacturers do not.
When I had my 800 Poo Mod rebuilt last year by a professional motor guy he only wanted 2 hours of easy riding mixed with the odd full throttle pull. At 2 hours I was to go wild.
If it were me I'd follow the manufactures recomendations...my 2 cents worth of nothing

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Breakin...thats like a trick question...manufacture like Ski-Doo put a chip in so yu have to keep the RPM's down until you hit a certain hour marker and other manufacturers do not.
When I had my 800 Poo Mod rebuilt last year by a professional motor guy he only wanted 2 hours of easy riding mixed with the odd full throttle pull. At 2 hours I was to go wild.
If it were me I'd follow the manufactures recomendations...my 2 cents worth of nothing
Get the service manager of the shop you purchased the sled to write down the break in procedure...........the first question you'll be asked when you need service work will be ..." How are you breaking the sled in?" or......"How did you break the sled in?"......when this happens....whip out your piece of paper and keep your mouth shut......They will also keep their mouth shut and fix your sled.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the service manager of the shop you purchased the sled to write down the break in procedure...........the first question you'll be asked when you need service work will be ..." How are you breaking the sled in?" or......"How did you break the sled in?"......when this happens....whip out your piece of paper and keep your mouth shut......They will also keep their mouth shut and fix your sled.

The answer is ALWAYS: "As per Manufacturers instructions." when asked any question by the dealer.

hecks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never hurts to run some oil in the first tank of fuel. After a couple tanks of fuel, change your spark plugs over to NGK Iridium IX. You will also want to put some vent kits on the clutch side to keep your belt cool. You can change your chain case oil after the first couple of rides, but once a season is fine. SLP makes are larger air plenum for the intake that works well which increases air flow. Enjoy the new sled !!

russhayes83

Reaction score
How much oil exactly should i put in? Where would i pick up these vent kits, I live in Edmonton anywheres around here that you would recommend? thanks for the info !!

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

OUCH take it easy on the service managers.So as a service manager I have to say.Drop 500 ml of 2 stroke oil in a full tank of gas and drive that thing.Lets face it anyone with a new unit is going to be hard press to resist temptation of not opening that thing up.But also drive it with in reason.

hecks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SLP makes a good vent kit, just talk to John or Craig @ Cycleworks and they will hook you up.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you look in the owners manual there is a break in procedure, mix i pint of oil to each 5 gallons of fuel, and don't run it at full throttle for extended periods for the first 3 hours,and vary throttle will help lube up the engine, bad break in = trouble in the future.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ouch take it easy on the service managers.so as a service manager i have to say.drop 500 ml of 2 stroke oil in a full tank of gas and drive that thing.lets face it anyone with a new unit is going to be hard press to resist temptation of not opening that thing up.but also drive it with in reason.

where are you a service manager????

M

mattmedic

all this info is in your owners manual, break-in, first fill up of fuel with oil mixed into it, what to watch for incase injection oil level doesn't drop.adjusting suspension, ect.

HINES

Reaction score
Fill up the oil reseviore,fill er up with good fuel & run er, my dragon is fine just put a can on it out of the crate,Later.

Top Bottom