Brake lit on fire

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my 16 summit sp was riding revy made it half way up the trail and lost my brakes. I thought it was an air bubble as it came on and off. Rode the entire day with the brake working then not. Coming down at the end of the day I felt a cold breeze on my leg so I looked down to see what was up and noticed my klim pants had completely melted and had holes burnt into them. The side panel, clutching, belts were all fairly cool but brake was melting pants hot. Bow cycle south said no warranty but can't explain why the brake failed. Sled has 400km on it and zero warranty being offered anyone else had this issue before? Sled has full brakes when in heated shop second it goes outside the brakes go soft.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would say moisture in fluid mabe?? Line freeze's and still applys brakes cause fluid can't return

Should be warranty since it's a sealed system

sent while drinking tea's

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your brake system is a closed loop system. Can't see why it wouldn't be. Like TEX said. I would say you have moisture in that system. I would bleed through some fresh brake fluid.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No brakes and no warranty on a new sled? That doesn't sound right but it is blow cycle.

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Leaky o-ring on the reservoir can cause problems, one on the bottom of the reservoir and another on the lid. Doesn't get a good seal and brings in air or moisture, squishy once and solid the next.. Could see it not working at all, odd it would apply though.

Seen melted ski pants a few times, usually just release the park brake, let the brakes cool down and your GTG..

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would try contacting BRP customer service directly and insist it be elevated to someone with some authority. I would also let the dealer know you are doing that.

Then I would let BRP and the dealer know you will be filing a Defect Complaint with Transport Canada https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/fc-cp.aspx?lang=eng

If the sled is under warranty and has a defect, explainable or not, its a defect and should be covered. Its not like you blew a belt. Its even more relevant as it is a safety related defect.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would say moisture in fluid mabe?? Line freeze's and still applys brakes cause fluid can't return

Should be warranty since it's a sealed system

no warranty at bow cycle....ever! That store should be voted worst store to deal with in snow riders annual award magazine.lol

get informed- worst dealer ever. Stop buying sleds there!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no warranty at bow cycle....ever! That store should be voted worst store to deal with in snow riders annual award magazine.lol

get informed- worst dealer ever. Stop buying sleds there!
Ya well sure glad my dealer looks after me

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
depending on weather conditions, mainly cold humid, brake levers can stick a bit closed. Doesn't take much to heat up the disc. You will get a beeping though when brakes are applied for too long.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This isn't my first sled or doo lol brake was not left on I always pump the brakes several times in before I hop on And ride it. It's looking more and more like a bad seal I have the pics sent to my purchasing dealer at New way and are looking after me.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This isn't my first sled or doo lol brake was not left on I always pump the brakes several times in before I hop on And ride it. It's looking more and more like a bad seal I have the pics sent to my purchasing dealer at New way and are looking after me.

Great! Don't go to that other place unless its the last Doo dealer in Western Canada.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my 16 summit sp was riding revy made it half way up the trail and lost my brakes. I thought it was an air bubble as it came on and off. Rode the entire day with the brake working then not. Coming down at the end of the day I felt a cold breeze on my leg so I looked down to see what was up and noticed my klim pants had completely melted and had holes burnt into them. The side panel, clutching, belts were all fairly cool but brake was melting pants hot. Bow cycle south said no warranty but can't explain why the brake failed. Sled has 400km on it and zero warranty being offered anyone else had this issue before? Sled has full brakes when in heated shop second it goes outside the brakes go soft.

I've seen the same thing happen before, were somebody put DOT3 instead of DOT4 as brake fluid. But also a bad seal will cause the same results as mentioned in a previous post.

B.s, I got 2 more years brp b.e.s.t warranty, 3 years total

Thats a warranty you pay for though, you bought it. Its an extended over the 1 year from manufacture.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen the same thing happen before, were somebody put DOT3 instead of DOT4 as brake fluid. But also a bad seal will cause the same results as mentioned in a previous post.

Thats a warranty you pay for though, you bought it. Its an extended over the 1 year from manufacture.

will dot 3 mixed with do 4 do that? guess it does have a lower boiling temp?

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looking like bad seals. ya will never go back to bow they burned there bridge. Kevin at Newway is on BRP and on them to do something about my klim pants getting destroyed.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looking like bad seals. ya will never go back to bow they burned there bridge. Kevin at Newway is on BRP and on them to do something about my klim pants getting destroyed.

Have FernieSnow get your klim pants warrantied. He has never had an issue getting them to replace anything.

I kid I kid

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good to know, i been lucky never mixed them? never had a problem other than leaving the P Brake on!! fml, never been tha scared of coming out of lang area in my life. no brakes. crap everywhere. :beer:

to the op, no idea if it will fit, i have inner outer chain case, chain, gears and brake rotor from an 08/09 summit!

Last edited:
Top Bottom